Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-20-2017, 08:33 PM   #15
MrRadioActive
"Challenge Everything!"

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS - Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fbody35th View Post
I've noticed the same thing with mine. It's really noticeable when driving slowly in first gear then a quick clutch in to coast or change to second. It makes a clunk sound in the drivetrain. do you guys agree that this is normal?
Yup, about as normal as the clicking sound my car makes when being driven (GM says that's due to the high performance front brakes) and the rear brakes that stick (GM also says that's normal for high performance brakes)....or at least according to GM that's all normal. I received the Unable To Duplicate Concern sticker when I took my car in for those.....
MrRadioActive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:48 AM   #16
DevBlackSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Royal Purple sychromax. Took away some notchy-ness and clunk out of the shifts.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #17
crazydmc
ummmm

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Nightfall w/Blk Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fbody35th View Post
I've noticed the same thing with mine. It's really noticeable when driving slowly in first gear then a quick clutch in to coast or change to second. It makes a clunk sound in the drivetrain. do you guys agree that this is normal?
this sounds like the backlash in the drive train.... totally normal on any car with manual trans....

exaggerated in first gear... when pushing in the clutch quickly the total backlash between the clutch, trans, driveline and diff bounces around for a sec like a spring.

say if you are slowing down in first gear, the engine is being pushed by the drivetrain... sudden release of the clutch allows the drivetrain to unwind making a sound. pushing in the clutch slower should help, or wait till engine near idle rpm before pushing in clutch.

this is true when driving any manual trans... your technique makes the difference.
crazydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:30 PM   #18
NerdChop

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro LS
I just bought an 18 LS, and i get this sound shifting from 1 to 2 to 3 at low rpm. It sounds weird but doesn't feel strange. I took it in and they said it's normal, and shift at higher rpm. I shift at higher rpm and i dont hear anything...onky once in a while. Since it drives good, and there's no check engine light, and they're saying its normal, and all u guys have the same thing I'm going to live with it and just shift properly. No lugging a camaro lol
NerdChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:30 PM   #19
Paro

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS A8
My A8 clunks it's right rear half-shaft CV axle when it gets unloaded then re-loaded. Most noticeable on the 4-5 upshift at low rpm 25 mph. Drives me nuts, but the dealer wants to send it out to a transmission shop cause they don't feel like looking at it?

Could be the same issue if you hear it from behind.
Paro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:30 PM   #20
2SSAustin

Drives: 1LE 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbis View Post
When Pressing the clutch to shift going 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd at low rpms; A loud clunking noise occurs. It is intermittent... sounds like metal to metal and does not seem normal. i saw a thread on this in the past with no resolution. Did anyone have this problem and get it resolved?
My 1LE when I back up makes a clunking sound. It happens when I pull the clutch out slowly since I have a smaller parking spot I sort of ride the clutch and it clunks at the first inital grab. Im sure its just normal.
2SSAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:47 PM   #21
lahori

Drives: Camaro 1LE, BMW 540i, Audi A4
I have 2019 1LE and hear the same plate shift noise at lower gears at low speed ... does feel weird though ...
lahori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:08 PM   #22
mrgoodbytes

Drives: '18 2SS/EU (+Recaros) M6 Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydmc View Post
this sounds like the backlash in the drive train.... totally normal on any car with manual trans....

exaggerated in first gear... when pushing in the clutch quickly the total backlash between the clutch, trans, driveline and diff bounces around for a sec like a spring.

say if you are slowing down in first gear, the engine is being pushed by the drivetrain... sudden release of the clutch allows the drivetrain to unwind making a sound. pushing in the clutch slower should help, or wait till engine near idle rpm before pushing in clutch.

this is true when driving any manual trans... your technique makes the difference.
This is my thoughts exactly. They noise and clunks you guys are talking about is simply backlash in the drivetrain. And like crazydmc says, just press and release the clutch slowly when going slow in 1-3 gear.
mrgoodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:48 PM   #23
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
I find there are LOTS of threads about manual chattering, noises, grinds and clunks. None are normal, or "supposed" to be there. You really should either have your revs matched (somewhat close) or work the clutch with your foot, every up or down shift. Sudden application or removal of clutch pressure can cause HUGE strains on the drivetrain. The sound may be normal, and not be a sign of any damage, but still, it shouldn't be making strange noises. If you're accelerating/engine driving, or decelerating/engine braking, and you're in the first 3 gears, then you shouldn't be just stabbing the clutch. Take a little more time. You don't have to treat each shift like first gear, but you shouldn't just stab it either. If you try, you should just about be able to shift the car without a passenger feeling the shift. I know I know, they'll still hear it, and perfectly smooth isn't quite possible, but it should be darn smooth, and FAR smoother than any automatic. AGain, I know that day in and day out none of us drive like that, but you should be able to if you try. Seriously, go try it when you get in the car later. It should be buttery smooth, and there should be pretty much no clunks or vibrations from the car.

EDIT - I will point at that you don't want to ride the clutch SOOO much as to burn it up. Obviously as with all things, it's a balance.
Abubaca is online now   Reply With Quote