Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-03-2020, 06:00 PM   #1
Calvear0

Drives: Currently Looking for 2019 SS
Buying out of state

Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone has bought a car out of state.
I’m in Southern California and I’m trying to see what banks are willing to deal with a private seller out of state. My local credit union won’t do out of state and looks like the big banks won’t budge neither.
Any insight would be helpful to lead me the right direction.
Thanks in advance
Calvear0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:36 PM   #2
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Been to this rodeo, actually in the same boat right now. My credit union is CA only,which really limits the availability and most dealers here are very proud of their pricing. You have to factor shipping, make sure if new the car has YF5 CA emissions, and you will need to put approx 750 miles on it before all the sensors turn on so you can pass your smog test on a brand new car,lol.
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:19 PM   #3
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I bought my ZL1 out of state last year at a Chevy dealership and they handled everything from financing to paying my trade in off with no major issues! Good luck!
Old 10-03-2020, 08:29 PM   #4
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
I bought my ZL1 out of state last year at a Chevy dealership and they handled everything from financing to paying my trade in off with no major issues! Good luck!
California has it's own set of rules and they do not care if it make sense to the rest of the country.... Seriously....

I bought a new 2002 Ford pickup in CA drove it back to NV (where I lived at the time). I was told I'd get the CA sales tax back when I registered in in NV.

I'm STILL waiting on that check....

Every vehicle since then that I've bought in that state gets transported out of the state to my location so I do not have to pay CA sales tax at time of delivery!
Old 10-03-2020, 08:31 PM   #5
Calvear0

Drives: Currently Looking for 2019 SS
Thanks for the replies.
For my instance , it’s a private seller not a dealership . So it would be a bank to bank transaction. I just can’t find any bank that’s willing to do this deal.
Calvear0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:55 PM   #6
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvear0 View Post
Thanks for the replies.
For my instance , it’s a private seller not a dealership . So it would be a bank to bank transaction. I just can’t find any bank that’s willing to do this deal.
Understand!
Old 10-04-2020, 12:38 AM   #7
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvear0 View Post
Thanks for the replies.
Wow! I didn’t know this would even be a problem. I am contemplating making a similar purchase. I guess I better call my credit union before going any further!
Dabjbr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:43 AM   #8
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
I bought my Camaro out of state. Private Seller as well. I wired him the cash... From my credit union to his bank account. It's your money, if you want to wire it to someone why would your bank stop you?
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:12 AM   #9
Trak-Toy

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
I bought my Camaro out of state. Private Seller as well. I wired him the cash... From my credit union to his bank account. It's your money, if you want to wire it to someone why would your bank stop you?
Bank doesn't care when you use your money to purchase a car out of state, or country for that matter. They care when you use their money for this type of purchase.
Trak-Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:21 AM   #10
Shreve
Katzenjammer Kid

Drives: MVAgusta F4R, SS 1LE, Ducati 748
Well, next state over within driving distance, so not much help. Tried to purchase electronically and have car delivered, but idiot dealer insisted that I had to be there in person, and the car (2SS 1LE) was on the lot. Both proved BS! Bad experience all around. After my drive there, and paying, learning the car was “in transit”, drove home. Two months later I finally have the car, which thankfully I love. What should have been a fun, pleasant experience, was unbelievably frustrating. I sincerely hope everything goes better for you.
Shreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:30 AM   #11
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trak-Toy View Post
Bank doesn't care when you use your money to purchase a car out of state, or country for that matter. They care when you use their money for this type of purchase.
Ahh.. Well maybe I missed that in the OP's post. I didn't see he was trying to borrow money from the bank to buy an out of state vehicle. That being said, my credit union has no issues doing that if you are buying it from a dealer. I don't know that they'd do it with a private seller. Doubt it. I guess without knowing the OP's situation it's hard to provide advice. If he owns a home, get a equity line of credit and buy the car that way. Find a car local or find one at a dealer, not a private party.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:24 AM   #12
Hyprblu

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Bought mine halfway through the covid nonsense. Loan was thru my credit union. They mailed the payoff check to his lender, I brought the remainder with me on a cashiers check. Flew out, picked up the car and drove it back home. It did require leg work on both sides, but was generally pain free. Be sure to have a documented communication chain along with phone calls in case things go awry. Good luck!
Hyprblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:48 AM   #13
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Why not look for a bank that has branches / locations where the car is? Or go with a bank that has a larger presence, maybe? I believe that the auto financing arm of GMAC is what became Ally bank - try someone like that and see if they'll finance it.

What you -really- need is a long just long enough to get it home, transferred to you, and registered. After that, it becomes a "refinance" with a local bank...

Private Seller transactions tend to require that you put in a decent chunk of your own money, too.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:07 AM   #14
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Interesting, I would probably never consider that to be a potential issue. I've purchased out of state several times, but they have all been through dealerships. My Camaro was purchased out of state as well. I don't think I would ever purchase from a private party from out of state, unless the perfect storm of a deal came about. There are just way too many things to go wrong/become inconvenient IMO.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote