Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-30-2019, 06:04 AM   #1
Snakebt6

Drives: Rally Green 2020 ZL1 1LE A10
Tire Pressure on Track Question

When I was at Daytona last my tires never reached the targeted pressure per the performance supplement. 35-37psi. Temps were also shown in the green and normal. I believe I started at 30 PSI in all.

I'm assuming because I was not driving hard enough to build up enough pressure in them.

I'm going back Thursday. Is it that important to be at the targeted pressure as opposed to 34 or 35 psi?

I'm going to start with 32 psi this time and air down if I go over 37 but just curious if a pound or two lower makes a difference to what I'm feeling at a big open fast track like Daytona.

FYI on the other hand at the Firm I had no issue hitting the targeted pressures and "warm" temps.

Just curious how much I should focus on the tire pressures if I'm not reaching the targets at a place like Daytona.

Thanks
Snakebt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:40 AM   #2
mt.nichols

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebt6 View Post
When I was at Daytona last my tires never reached the targeted pressure per the performance supplement. 35-37psi. Temps were also shown in the green and normal. I believe I started at 30 PSI in all.

I'm assuming because I was not driving hard enough to build up enough pressure in them.

I'm going back Thursday. Is it that important to be at the targeted pressure as opposed to 34 or 35 psi?

I'm going to start with 32 psi this time and air down if I go over 37 but just curious if a pound or two lower makes a difference to what I'm feeling at a big open fast track like Daytona.

FYI on the other hand at the Firm I had no issue hitting the targeted pressures and "warm" temps.

Just curious how much I should focus on the tire pressures if I'm not reaching the targets at a place like Daytona.

Thanks
In short, yes it can make a difference. I would argue the magnitude of that difference is highly dependent on driver skill level. Regardless, it is a good idea to try and hit those target hot pressures.
mt.nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:20 AM   #3
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Quote:

Thanks
I believe the last time you were at Daytona it was a cool(er) soaking wet evening. (i was there too). That's definitely not a good sample to look at tire pressures and temp. The track was very cool on the first session and barely warm on the second.

Let's not even talk about the third

Anyhow, you shouldn't have anything to worry about reaching 35 from 30 on a warm dry track in august. Also, the dash pressures run a little low anyhow. i would invest in a good tire gauge and pull temps as soon as your back in the paddock, or in TNIA's case, pit row. lol
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:26 AM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i heard to start at 28psi on the big tracks
Old 07-30-2019, 10:28 AM   #5
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
I have run in cold temperatures (cooler than you would like for sure). On one weekend, you could lay your hand on the tarmac and not even feel any heat. The track was a bit slippery as were the tires. I actually added air over the course of the event.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:05 PM   #6
Snakebt6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
I believe the last time you were at Daytona it was a cool(er) soaking wet evening. (i was there too). That's definitely not a good sample to look at tire pressures and temp. The track was very cool on the first session and barely warm on the second.

Let's not even talk about the third

Anyhow, you shouldn't have anything to worry about reaching 35 from 30 on a warm dry track in august. Also, the dash pressures run a little low anyhow. i would invest in a good tire gauge and pull temps as soon as your back in the paddock, or in TNIA's case, pit row. lol
Yep....used my discount code from the rainout to go back. Hopefully we get all the sessions in this time. lol

Ill start out at 30-32 and go from there. I also have a feeling that I wasn't really using the car hard enough cornering. Now that ive been there and also have a few more track days under my belt since, ill be more comfortable driving a bit more aggressively.

Ill make it a point to get in the 36 37 PSI range for sure then.

Thanks for all the responses!
Old 07-30-2019, 07:01 PM   #7
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Target psi notwithstanding, look at a tire wear as your guide. If it doesn't reach the GoodYear booties you're over inflated. If it starts going beyond them: add 1 or 2 psi. IMO it all depends on temps, track, pace, etc.
I start at 28 psi then adjust hot pressure based on wear.
Even if a target might be 36, sometimes a bit lower works better (depending on circumstances).
So, it is key to take pressure reading right after a run and check tire wear on sidewalls. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:35 PM   #8
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Quote:
Yep....used my discount code from the rainout to go back. Hopefully we get all the sessions in this time. lol

Ill start out at 30-32 and go from there. I also have a feeling that I wasn't really using the car hard enough cornering. Now that ive been there and also have a few more track days under my belt since, ill be more comfortable driving a bit more aggressively.

Ill make it a point to get in the 36 37 PSI range for sure then.

Thanks for all the responses!

I won’t be attending this go around. Last time left such a bad taste in my mouth with the paddock area and how they handled trailers and spare parts and stuff. Anyhow, have fun! Let me know next time you get to the firm, i need to get there sometime soon!
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:14 PM   #9
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
85 ambient temps I start with 22 rear and 24 front. Hoosier R7. After hard 20 25 min session I see 30 to 33 psi
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:48 AM   #10
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Target psi notwithstanding, look at a tire wear as your guide. If it doesn't reach the GoodYear booties you're over inflated. If it starts going beyond them: add 1 or 2 psi. IMO it all depends on temps, track, pace, etc.
Even if a target might be 36, sometimes a bit lower works better (depending on circumstances).
So, it is key to take pressure reading right after a run and check tire wear on sidewalls. Cheers!
So it's the Goodyear boot images on the tire edges that are the right marker to use, not the lowest line on the edge of the tire?

I saw those Goodyear boot images but didn't know what they were for especially since they don't seem to be consistently in the same location along the edge of the tire.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:35 AM   #11
Snakebt6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
I won’t be attending this go around. Last time left such a bad taste in my mouth with the paddock area and how they handled trailers and spare parts and stuff. Anyhow, have fun! Let me know next time you get to the firm, i need to get there sometime soon!
Yeah it was a bit of a sh.. show and in my opinion thought it was too many cars to manage.

I know there was a weekend SCCA event when we were there and the garages were being used. Curious if itll be different tomorrow.

Ill go again to the Firm in September I think. Ill post in this forum when I plan on going.

Yes the wear line to be at the top of the wing on the boot was/is the goal for proper inflation is what Im shooting for.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:37 AM   #12
Snakebt6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Appreciated!
Old 07-31-2019, 07:55 AM   #13
Junkyardspecial

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
So it's the Goodyear boot images on the tire edges that are the right marker to use, not the lowest line on the edge of the tire?

I saw those Goodyear boot images but didn't know what they were for especially since they don't seem to be consistently in the same location along the edge of the tire.

Yes, you made a whole thread about that exact topic about a month ago where it was answered.

If youre reaching the edge youre under inflated.

Will buy your GoodYear Supercar 3R Take offs!
Junkyardspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:43 AM   #14
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyardspecial View Post
Yes, you made a whole thread about that exact topic about a month ago where it was answered.

If youre reaching the edge youre under inflated.
The answer(s) I recall in the thread were not the same as the answer I read here which is why I asked. Some said edge was the where the scrub line should reach and others said it was not.

*UPDATE EDIT*

I rechecked the thread and it looks like I missed the part on the Goodyear boot symbol (even though I quoted it) it also looks like more answers were added to the thread that I had not seen and they include more about the Goodyear Boot symbol.