Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-25-2021, 01:08 AM   #57
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyz View Post
^ ^ that's because paint correction is the key to gloss. Not the coating.

Paint correction is key but you will see a difference if you do a 50/50 and coat one side and wax/sealant other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:14 AM   #58
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Ceramic a little harder to apply than a sealant or wax. Looks better than a sealant 100%. Nooba looks just as good but lasts a month.

Easy to apply yourself. If rain and dew waterspot your coating theirs a bigger issue. Water spotting comes from tap water and the mineral humans put in it.

You guys bring up $1000 to have it coated but most of that price is correction. Probably same $1000 guy charges $ 600-700 for correction and wax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:58 AM   #59
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
lol. Just applying and buffing the TW seal & shine mate. I know its tough. thats why you need to get ceramic.
Once the protectant has worn off and needs to be reapplied, you are wasting your time if you aren't properly decontaminating then taking care of any marring that happens during this stage. I do things properly, so there is no way I can reapply a protectant after properly preparing my vehicle in 5-10 minutes. Neither can you, or anyone. This is the same thing I've already said, and at this time it should be very clear to you that your comparison is garbage.

Quote:
Waterspots are a big issue where I live. Car is parked outside and we frequently have dew and fog in the mornings that just sits in the car. I know I know, its hard to imagine.
Water spots from dew, huh? You don't seem to have a very good idea about how these things actually occur. Those 'water spots' don't impact ceramic any differently because.. and now this is probably difficult for you to understand... they are hydrophobic by nature. Water spots occur when minerals are deposited, which isn't from dew. Good effort, though!

Quote:
Guy down the street got his car ceramic coated. Parked outside a few times and did not have time to attend to the waterspots right away. Had to polish his car to get them off. Too much work for me. I did ceramic on my Mazda, will never ever do it again. Just too hard to get etched waterspots off.
Your thoughts are are anecdotal and mine are based on over a decade of research and practice. Again, I'm just here combating misinformation and you feel free to continue doing you!
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:58 PM   #60
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
lol. Just applying and buffing the TW seal & shine mate. I know its tough. thats why you need to get ceramic.

Waterspots are a big issue where I live. Car is parked outside and we frequently have dew and fog in the mornings that just sits in the car. I know I know, its hard to imagine.

Guy down the street got his car ceramic coated. Parked outside a few times and did not have time to attend to the waterspots right away. Had to polish his car to get them off. Too much work for me. I did ceramic on my Mazda, will never ever do it again. Just too hard to get etched waterspots off.
Rain and dew will not give you water spots. Sprinklers, on the other hand...

I had my car ceramic coated and the ability to keep it clean without touching the paint for the most part made it worth the investment. I do a two bucket wash with a ceramic infused solution (Adam's Wash+Coat) maybe once or twice a year, otherwise the dirt just washes off after foaming with normal high suds shampoo.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:58 AM   #61
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
also fwiw the ceramic coating will protect against light scratches. a large dog jumped on my drivers door and proceeded to rape the paint with his claws. it looked bad. after a quick wash it looked like it never happened. if it weren't for the trim at the bottom of the window being scratched, you'd never know.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:02 AM   #62
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Rain and dew will not give you water spots. Sprinklers, on the other hand...

I had my car ceramic coated and the ability to keep it clean without touching the paint for the most part made it worth the investment. I do a two bucket wash with a ceramic infused solution (Adam's Wash+Coat) maybe once or twice a year, otherwise the dirt just washes off after foaming with normal high suds shampoo.
Rain -can- contain contaminants that can cause spotting on the paint and this -can- sometimes cause permanent damage if not attended to. It's different from the sort of thing you're describing from sprinkler systems (which is exactly the same as washing your car and then not drying it). Household water contains minerals that will eat into the clear coat and leave permanent damage (if not attended to) that can only be removed by polishing ("buffing"). Paint can also be damaged by tree sap, bird droppings, etc.

The more that's done to add a protective layer on top of the clear coat combined with attending to things as quickly as possible, the longer the paint will hold up.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:13 PM   #63
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Rain -can- contain contaminants that can cause spotting on the paint and this -can- sometimes cause permanent damage if not attended to. It's different from the sort of thing you're describing from sprinkler systems (which is exactly the same as washing your car and then not drying it). Household water contains minerals that will eat into the clear coat and leave permanent damage (if not attended to) that can only be removed by polishing ("buffing"). Paint can also be damaged by tree sap, bird droppings, etc.

The more that's done to add a protective layer on top of the clear coat combined with attending to things as quickly as possible, the longer the paint will hold up.
You're right. I'm a bit spoiled here because the rain has no effect on my coating and forgot that it could be different near industrial facilities or polluted areas.

The only reason I mentioned sprinklers is because this often comes from someplace else that one has have little control over. I'm assuming no one is lazy enough to park their car near their own sprinklers and then not clean or dry it when the inevitable strikes, of course.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:20 PM   #64
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
You're right. I'm a bit spoiled here because the rain has no effect on my coating and forgot that it could be different near industrial facilities or polluted areas.

The only reason I mentioned sprinklers is because this often comes from someplace else that one has have little control over. I'm assuming no one is lazy enough to park their car near their own sprinklers and then not clean or dry it when the inevitable strikes, of course.
Wells are a source of water with all kinds of different minerals and are sometimes on the acidic side (my house has slightly acidic water from my well, and after 30 years it has created pinholes in a few sections of the copper plumbing). Addressing the acidity requires adding calcium carbonate which create an entirely different set of problems.

Public water will generally have some mineral content (calcium carbonate or similar) as well as additives like fluoride and chlorine.

No matter what the source of water for your sprinkler, there's almost certainly something in it that isn't good for the paint on your car. And if don't wipe down the car if it gets wet from the sprinklers, you're risking damage.

I use well water to wash my car but it's always dried completely afterward so that nothing remains on the paint surface. I've also applied a SiDO2 coating/sealant to help provide additional protection against any of these various things that can cause issues.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceramic coating, cilajet