Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 12-07-2016, 07:21 PM   #1
Casalino

Drives: 17' 1LE BLK
2017 SS 1LE vs. 2014 911 4S

So my dad went ahead and got this sweet porsche. If i could still figure out how to upload pics i would do so!

Anyways, this is what sparked me selling my car and ordering this 1LE. The 911 just spoiled me. I needed something to give me the same feelings. I know acceleration wise i won't be disappointed.

Any guys who owned or own porsche's know how this 1le is going to match up with it? I want the clutch to feel like the porsche. the stick to snap into each gear. The steering...oh boy that steering.

I think i will get the same cornering joy from this camaro. Acceleration will be better than the porsche but totally different feel. The porsche is impressive in a way how the power just intensifies the harder and harder you push it. It just starts screaming and tells you to keep ringing it out all the way. I love it.

I know i won't get the refinement but i'm not looking for that necessarily. I also love the suspension on the 911. It soaks up bumps well, feels so planted, and never gets too stiff. Once your in sport plus and the dampers and stiff, its another animal. I'm hoping to get that in the camaro.

So the porsche bug bit me good. I was hooked the second i drove it. Believe it or not he drove his truck from the dealer, i got to take the porsche home I stopped using my car and devoted my time to cleaning it daily, taking care of it and driving it on every nice day. I feel like i won't get the same feeling in the camaro. But a different one indeed. I think the camaro will feel more aggressive. Won't feel as planted and controlled as the porsche. But I think i made a good choice picking the 1le and to get something comparable in feel
Casalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:33 PM   #2
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
It's not comparable in feel. It's comparable in speed. Not even close on feel.

Compares better with a vette or BMW M3/4.
But not a 911. Not even close. Entirely different beast. Rear engine cars just handle completely different and 911s have such sublime steering feel, brake feel, clutch feel - you name a feel and they nail it. The braking power is simply unbelievable and the grip on corner exit - oh my.

Camaro is fun to drive and very fast but it's not a feel car.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:26 AM   #3
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post

But not a 911. Not even close. Entirely different beast. Rear engine cars just handle completely different and 911s have such sublime steering feel, brake feel, clutch feel - you name a feel and they nail it. The braking power is simply unbelievable and the grip on corner exit - oh my.

FYI the SS 1LE is a large step up from a regular SS track performance wise...

The SS 1LE is quicker on track, has more lateral grip, and brakes shorter than a 991 911 4S according to most tests I've seen...

Food for thought @ Laguna Seca, Randy Pobst driving:

SS 1LE: 1:37.7
991 911 4S: 1:39.1

Pobst said he loved the SS 1LE, and "wishes he had one".

Last edited by SS 1LE; 12-08-2016 at 07:46 AM.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:07 AM   #4
Casalino

Yea you guys pointed out the right points.

The clutch feel and the steering is what spoiled me on the porsche. It is unreal. The stiffness on the clutch is like perfect. It is like how anyone could wish their clutch felt even if you never experienced it before, you would want your clutch to ultimately feel like this. You also feel the vibration of the clutch engaging through your shoe.

Maybe the camaro has a bit of a stiffer clutch. Maybe it holds through a corner similarly. maybe the way it hits bumps and uneven surfaces might be similar. I know i won't get the porsche feel and i'm not exactly looking for that. I have the porsche to drive. I wanted something to compliment it with different style. I want the camaro to give me that same excitement just in a different way. Mainly the power and rwd.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #5
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Considering your budget, you made a great choice. If you can drive up to snuff with your old man, im guessing you guys would be neck and neck at a track day. Convince him to go, what a hell of day for some father son bonding time! Make sure you video it for us all to witness lol
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:43 AM   #6
Casalino

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick3 View Post
Considering your budget, you made a great choice. If you can drive up to snuff with your old man, im guessing you guys would be neck and neck at a track day. Convince him to go, what a hell of day for some father son bonding time! Make sure you video it for us all to witness lol
haha for sure! The issue is that his is a convertible so its not exactly designed to be taken around a track but by definition you can say it is. But the coupe is the one you want for tracks. I've asked him before he hates the idea of tracks. He says i'll be first thing into the guardrail at 100mph ****ing up the car and myself. But i see it as something more gradual. Sitting with an instructor for a few laps getting used to everything. But he doesn't see it that way. He wouldn't put his car around a track so we wouldn't see that day

But we'll get some good pictures. His is black as well with black powdercoated wheels and black exhaust tips. They're going to look real good together as i brag that i have wider front tires
Old 12-08-2016, 09:43 AM   #7
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
FYI the SS 1LE is a large step up from a regular SS track performance wise...

The SS 1LE is quicker on track, has more lateral grip, and brakes shorter than a 991 911 4S according to most tests I've seen...

Food for thought @ Laguna Seca, Randy Pobst driving:

SS 1LE: 1:37.7
991 911 4S: 1:39.1

Pobst said he loved the SS 1LE, and "wishes he had one".
Those times are very impressive for the 1LE, and the Camaro in general but when it comes to feel of the car, literally nothing feels like a 911.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:08 AM   #8
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
The 911 will definitely feel different due to the rear engine, and much shorter wheelbase. These two cars are pretty apples and oranges for those two reasons alone. BUT, as folks here can confirm, Chevy really nailed all the details with this car in a similar fashion to the way Porche does, AND the numbers show, this car can perform right in this same league on track. Even if the numbers turned out exactly the same, the two cars kind of go about it in a different way. You will feel that, but it's hard to put in words.

As far as the Camaro goes, I don't have the 1LE, but I took my 1SS to an HPDE, and I couldn't have higher praise for how the car responded. The turn in is immediate, the car is so balanced, power everywhere in the rev range, the grip on the stock runflats is outstanding. No unwanted body motions, the Magnetic Ride Control eats up the curbs like they weren't there, nothing seemed to upset this car. It is an easy car to go fast in, and you have confidence at the limits. I can't imagine how this car could be better, but the 1LE is, due to the bigger lighter forged wheels, better tires, eDiff, etc...

I feel you will be very impressed with your new 1LE, but there will be quite a difference in the two cars, due to the completely different approach. I can't wait to hear your feedback once you get your 1LE, so you can tell us the differences! Don't forget us once you get your car!!
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #9
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
In a perfect world I would own both - probably the SS vert I have now and a 997 S coupe.

But there are limitations in play - money, time, garage space, other vehicle needs such as carrying passengers, hauling, towing, driving to the mountains. Etc.

So the SS is the car that I chose too. Even after owning a 911.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #10
Casalino

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Don't forget us once you get your car!!
I won't! I have to figure out how to upload pics in the comments here and i'll put some pics side by side. The porsche really is sharp. I can't get over it. It has an aero kit put on by the factory. Gives it a fixed ducktail spoiler and some other goodies. All black. Going to looks real good with the 1LE. Now i need black tips

The hardest part about this is that we share one garage space! Its his house, he gets the garage... i'll have to keep it covered outside and just maintaining it daily to keep it spotless.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:54 AM   #11
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
I had a 96 C4S which was setup for the track. I do not think you will be disappointed with the 1LE.
Attached Images

DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:56 AM   #12
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Sounds like a great "problem" to have The new Camaro/1LE is where its at for performance for the dollar. Can't be beat! Enjoy
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:01 AM   #13
Casalino

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
I had a 96 C4S which was setup for the track. I do not think you will be disappointed with the 1LE.
That one is gorgeous. The 90's air cooled wide body with the wing is my favorite look. I guy i knew had a 94 red 911 turbo. I was maybe 12 or 14 back in the day it had to be the coolest car i saw in person. That look stuck to me
Old 12-16-2016, 09:49 PM   #14
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post

Umm no offence but are comparing the feel of your CONVERTIBLE VANILLA SS (which is known to have a flex in the chassis) to a 2017 1SS 1LE....

No one here should be chiming in unless theyve driven both... and i mean 1LE vs porsche not vanilla SS vs porsche
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote