Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-25-2021, 06:17 AM   #1
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Winter tires

So I scored a full set of factory size rims, in the exact style that came on my car, in new condition, dirt cheap.

My question is, what are good winter tires that are factory sized for the SS? Now I can have two full sets and simply swap them on and off in my own garage every spring and fall and I'll always have the OEM factory wheels. And since I paid so little for them I won't mind if the winter ones get damaged/pitted from snow, salt, road debris.

I'm looking for dedicated winter tires that have very good to excellent traction and control in snow, and willing to sacrifice dry pavement handling and performance for safe and effective bad weather traction.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:34 AM   #2
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
From what I read Nokean's, Blizzaks, and Michelen x-ice are some of the better ones for the money. Currently I run Nokean's, and they seem a tad better than the others IMO
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:13 AM   #3
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I moved up from an A/S this year to a dedicated winter performance tire, I'm using the Michelin Alpin PA4 and it's a fantastic tire. Good traction in light snow, excellent dry grip, excellent cold temps performance, excellent in the rain. Still very fun to drive on the nice winter days, car is a blast to drive through winter. I love this tire, 10/10.

Ive run the BFG Comp2 A/S and it's short on snow capability but otherwise is an excellent tire.

I needed more snow performance than an A/S has given me, but I don't need a snow/ice tire like the Xi3.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:59 PM   #4
BlakeR
😁😁😁😁😁

Drives: 1ss
Mich. xice as well. I put them on '16 rs and now my 20 Ss. I can't believe how well they've lasted. If you can go a little more narrow on the factory rims it helps get through the snow better. You don't want to float on top with wide tires. I have 18 inch rims myself with a more narrow tire.
BlakeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:46 PM   #5
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Blizzaks but I have yet to get a good feel from reviews (I will never take my SS in the snow) how the BFG G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S PLUS (key is the PLUS new tire) does in the snow.

All I know is the BFG G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S PLUS is the best AS for the SS in stock tires sizes, less my feeling for how it does in the snow. Let me see if my brethren from my old stomping grounds in the frozen north did with then this year.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:48 AM   #6
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
When I had the Xi3 on my Mustang GT in 245/45/19 I couldn't stand those things, off snow, of course. Tread squirm, floated at highway speeds, squishy handling. Which I'm not going to say isn't that surprising but it became apparent that I didn't need a tire that capable the other 95% of my winter months. I hated those things.
Great in the snow though, couldn't praise them enough in that one regard.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:57 PM   #7
BrianF

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
When I ordered my 245/275 winter tires I could only find one make on Tirerack, Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II, and they were not cheap. Looks like they discontinued the 275. They have some other brand I had never heard off, abut $700 cheaper for a set though.

I would say putting snows on my Camaro put me maybe almost even with a normal RWD sedan on all seasons. Nothing like my evos on snows, but miles better then the summer only Goodyear F1s.
BrianF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:27 AM   #8
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
Running Blizzak WS60s I found cheap used, however in 18" size 245 square. No issues with traction and wear is very minimal.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:17 AM   #9
Rhea

Drives: Camaro 2SS
I'm running Toyo observer G3 Ice. 245/40/20 and 275/35/20.
You can add studs too, but I decided not to go that root.
I Had them in the white icy stuff and so far I am impressed.
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 01:01 AM   #10
mrgoodwrench
The Wicked Jester

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Blizzaks but I have yet to get a good feel from reviews (I will never take my SS in the snow) how the BFG G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S PLUS (key is the PLUS new tire) does in the snow.

All I know is the BFG G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S PLUS is the best AS for the SS in stock tires sizes, less my feeling for how it does in the snow. Let me see if my brethren from my old stomping grounds in the frozen north did with then this year.
I have these on my car for the winter...I managed to do quite well and have yet to miss a day of work even though we have had a lot of snow this winter here in NY...the proof is in the pudding...or a picture is worth a thousand words...I know it is not a popular opinion here for some people - but it is what it is...

For winter driving, I have had Goodyear Eagle All seasons on my 2010 RS, Sumutoyo HTR 2's on my 2014 2SS (Great Mileage BTW) and replaced them with the BF Goodrich A/S Plus, which are now the winter tires for my 2020 2SS. In the long run - it is snow - I grew up here and learned how to drive a RWD car in the snow. I love driving in the snow - I may be considered a little different though...

What I will NOT do is drive any of the Camaros I had with the Pirelli P-Zeros or the Goodyear Run Flats once the weather drops below 32 and we are expecting snow...they SUCK in that kind of weather and the car acts like it is on an Ice Rink...

It goes without saying...if you are going to drive in the winter - get the right gear to roll forward...or you could be sliding backwards...

Old Car: 2010 Camaro Inferno Orange 2LT/RS
mrgoodwrench is offline   Reply With Quote