Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-28-2019, 03:46 PM   #15
Clam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
That's normal to me when I drive to work. It is not only truck drivers, but everybody and their grandma does it. Houston traffic sucks.
Clam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:50 PM   #16
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Happens to me all the time. I could be riding my tricked out mountain bike and the same thing occurs...
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:10 PM   #17
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
simply for clarification: those operating pickup trucks are not “truck drivers”.

to be fair, id estimate 75% of vehicles i catch will speed up considerably before, during or after the overtake. i do not believe it has anything to do with them not wanting me to pass. i think it has everything to do with distracted driving. like the moron at a stoplight with their nose in a phone, they are waiting for a cue to simply drive the vehicle. green light - no. other traffic moving - yes.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:24 PM   #18
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Yeah happens all the time. I think some owners of big trucks just have a different mentality. I used to work with a buddy who had an F250 and he actually believed drivers felt intimidated by his truck. Really? Another weird example, years ago I was running Out of a bicycle shop to my small car parked in the parking lot while at the same time a driver was backing up his diesel four-wheel-drive dually Right right next to my car. As I was jumping into my car he hops out and says, ha you thought I was going to hit your car! I was like no not really dude.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:26 PM   #19
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
simply for clarification: those operating pickup trucks are not “truck drivers”.

to be fair, id estimate 75% of vehicles i catch will speed up considerably before, during or after the overtake. i do not believe it has anything to do with them not wanting me to pass. i think it has everything to do with distracted driving. like the moron at a stoplight with their nose in a phone, they are waiting for a cue to simply drive the vehicle. green light - no. other traffic moving - yes.
I'll add to this and say that for most people it is just a primitive/non-conscience reaction. Most people have some sort of competitive nature about them.

I see it on the freeway all the time, no matter the vehicle I am driving. When you start to overtake someone, something triggers in their brain and they feel the need to speed up, as soon as you over take and create some distance, they resume their original pace.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:29 PM   #20
brushmore

Drives: 2024 and 2014
Sounds like the opening scene of "Christmas Vacation":

https://youtu.be/ozksR8QLWzM
brushmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:43 PM   #21
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I'll add to this and say that for most people it is just a primitive/non-conscience reaction. Most people have some sort of competitive nature about them.

I see it on the freeway all the time, no matter the vehicle I am driving. When you start to overtake someone, something triggers in their brain and they feel the need to speed up, as soon as you over take and create some distance, they resume their original pace.
I think you’re onto something there. Maybe the fact that I habitually drive fast makes me more aware of my speed and what others are doing around me. If I close a gap to pinch someone off it’s deliberate. Usually I’m more likely to let them by then trail 50-60 yards back. Let them feed the bears.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:51 PM   #22
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
TRZ06, definitely agree with your above reply! You’re right that when I’m driving my 2005 Silverado truck people are the same as when I’m driving the ZL1!!
Old 10-28-2019, 06:54 PM   #23
IAI80

Drives: 2016 1LT V6 A8
I always figured the pickup truck antics are a combination of ego and stress, above and beyond the sports car crowd:

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2015...say-about-you/
IAI80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:58 PM   #24
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post

i agree. i wouldnt pin it on competition, per say, but the habits are definitely present. it’s my experience that the vehicle and approach speed has little effect on outcome. i am a truck driver. i catch cars on the road all the time driving 3-5 mph slower than i am. i initiate a pass and the aforementioned scenario plays out, but at a much slower rate. in a governed vehicle, i spend the next 15 miles trying to get around someone swinging 10 mph. once i get in front of them they fade away just as quickly as i had caught them. quite possibly the most annoying behavior on the road.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:09 PM   #25
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
i agree. i wouldnt pin it on competition, per say, but the habits are definitely present. it’s my experience that the vehicle and approach speed has little effect on outcome. i am a truck driver. i catch cars on the road all the time driving 3-5 mph slower than i am. i initiate a pass and the aforementioned scenario plays out, but at a much slower rate. in a governed vehicle, i spend the next 15 miles trying to get around someone swinging 10 mph. once i get in front of them they fade away just as quickly as i had caught them. quite possibly the most annoying behavior on the road.
Unrelated, but I remember road trips when I was a kid with my dad and he used to draft semi-trucks to save gas. The truckers all knew it and they would wave back and forth. The things we remember, lol

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:29 PM   #26
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
I always figure it's some old guy and when they speed up until their wife starts yelling at them to slow down.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:20 PM   #27
Paintslinger16
Two Lane Blacktop

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS
I agree but it’s nothing to due with truck drivers or pickup truck drivers.
It’s just more proof of erosion of common sense rules of the road.

Along these lines are the drivers that purposely try to pinch you in, I drive pretty quickly but occasionally someone goings to come up on me, I am already in the slow lane, just cruising, probably traffic coming up or something and that car that was gaining is now just off your bumper more then likely in the blind spot and slows up, making us both go slower.
My pickup has the same 376 so, you only getting one attempt at that douche move
Paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:51 PM   #28
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
Is it just me? It seems like a regular thing, I pass someone in a truck and the redneck just has to speed up and get on my bumper.

This happened yesterday (again) coming back over some mountains from Alabama to Georgia I passed a dually diesel Ram, on a two lane road in a passing zone. Prior to me passing him Mr. Truck Driver was content to cruise along at about 50. Once I passed him he discovered the desire to drive closer to 70 and tailgate me. Like he had something to prove. Once it got really twisty he found he couldn't prove whatever he was trying to.
I regularly commute between Austin TX and Atlanta GA, sometimes as much as twice a week. Alabama may as well have no speed limits. I REGULARLY am in some pack of traffic of vehicles moving at 90+ MPH on I-20 between the Mississippi Stateline and Tuscaloosa, and again between Tuscaloosa to Birmingham, and again from Birmingham to Georgia.

I had a jeep pace me in my Z28, would not let me go. I slow down to 75 MPH, he rides right beside me, I speed up to 80, he speeds up and paces me...rinse and repeat until I got tired of him. I literally had to get up to 120 before he finally backed out of it.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote