Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-23-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
dmau9600

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Rear differential fluid change?

I've seen people mention changing the rear differential fluid in a few threads. Is this required after break-in, or just a good practice?
dmau9600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:52 PM   #2
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
It's in the HP Supplement.

Change at 1,500, after 1st track day and then after each 24 hours of track time.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #3
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmau9600 View Post
I've seen people mention changing the rear differential fluid in a few threads. Is this required after break-in, or just a good practice?
I'll be having mine done at 1500 miles...... Just "piece of mind"..... I do this with all my new vehicles..... Just my "practice" I guess........
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:10 PM   #4
IrishCoffee

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
It's in the HP Supplement.

Change at 1,500, after 1st track day and then after each 24 hours of track time.
I've gone over my HP Supplement several times looking for this info. Where are you finding this? Not sure if I'm blind or just have a different manual.
IrishCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:29 AM   #5
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCoffee View Post
I've gone over my HP Supplement several times looking for this info. Where are you finding this? Not sure if I'm blind or just have a different manual.
I saw it in the regular owner's manual, not the supplement. There's a section in the owner's manual about the break-in period, should be in there.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:38 AM   #6
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
BET THIs has been asked plenty times of times.... but which sould be used... i will be tracking soon, also what tools recommended for Diy
Old 07-24-2017, 10:20 PM   #7
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
All fluid details are in the manual...
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:08 AM   #8
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2K View Post
BET THIs has been asked plenty times of times.... but which sould be used... i will be tracking soon, also what tools recommended for Diy
I stick with OEM since it makes it easier if any warranty claims come up. AC Delco Dexron 75w90 gear fluid w/limited slip additive, GM PN 88862624. Will need 2 quarts of fluid. I think there's a list somewhere out there of approved fluids by GM, but I can't say exactly where.

Tools needed:
  • New diff fluid
  • jack and jack stands or ramps
  • ratchet driver and extensions (no sockets, just a 3/8 square drive to remove drain and fill plugs)
  • torque wrench. Can always torque stuff by hand in a pinch if needed, but I suggest making sure things are torqued properly before doing any track driving.
  • rags
  • oil drain pan
  • pump for new fluid. I have this one, only takes a few pumps to transfer a whole quart and is pretty cheap

Steps:
  1. Drive around a bit to warm the diff fluid up
  2. raise vehicle so it is level
  3. Remove top fill plug first, located on the driver's side of the diff. Be careful around the exhaust since it might be hot if you started the change right after driving.
  4. Place catch can under drain plug and remove drain plug from the bottom rear of the diff.
  5. Wipe off the shavings that have collected on the drain plug
  6. Re-install drain plug to 24 ft-lbs
  7. Using the pump, fill the diff with new fluid. Diff is full once the fluid reaches the fill hole (this is why you want the car to be level). Will be close to using 2 quarts since some of the fluid will still be in the pump.
  8. Re-install fill plug to 24 ft-lbs
  9. Wipe all the the diff fluid off everything (especially the exhaust) then you're good to go!

Also, you'll want to change your engine oil and filter before going to the track. Filter is AC Delco PF64, GM PN 12640445. And, per the high performance supplement, you'll want to change engine oil to a Dexos 2 approved 0W-40 or 5W-40. Manual specifically says you can use Valvoline SYNPOWER MST 5W-40 or M1 15W-50, but if you use 15W-50 you're supposed to change oil again after the track event. Here's a list of approved Dexos 2 oils, so you can pick the one you want with the correct weight.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:29 AM   #9
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Excellent advice!

Also note that the Valvoline mentioned above is now Dexos2 approved albeit not all packaging may reflect it. Also Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W40 is also approved according to the manual.
NB This service costs about $60 at a dealer.

EDIT: get lift points from zl1addons.com to protect the rockers when jacking the car. I have permanent ones and they work well.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote