Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-02-2023, 07:00 AM   #365
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
The thing is, the PTM modes were set up for track use, and they work as advertised on a road course. However, they are pretty aggressive for use in an autocross, where things are much tighter and slower and where slip angles are often higher (even transitioning into sliding at times). I think it's been well demonstrated that turning all the nannies off is the fastest way to autocross a Camaro, and I promise you that this is how every top autocross driver (like Nationals trophy winners) runs the car.

Last edited by Msquared; 11-02-2023 at 05:22 PM.
Msquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 08:29 AM   #366
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
The thing is, the PTM modes were set up for track use, and they work as advertised on a road course. However, they are pretty aggressive for use in an autocross, where things are much tighter and slower and where slip angles are often higher (even transitioning into sliding at times). I think it's been well demonstrated that turning all the nannies off is the fastest way to autocross a Camaro, and a promise you that this is how every top autocross driver (like Nationals trophy winner) runs the car.
Best response yet! Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 09:58 AM   #367
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Op, all I can add is you have changed some parts that can possibly add to oversteer issues, mainly the , I assume, the BMR sway bars. If you haven’t used them yet at an event, use the search button for sway bars to see what results and bar settings guys are using. You have gone from a stock car balance which is darn good if not slightly understeer biased to potential oversteer tail happy if the bars aren’t set right. Mainly as the rear bar settings are really stiff vs the front bar, so don’t go to crazy. Based on stiffness rates from BMR maybe try mid front bar hole and soft rear bar for a tiny bit oversteer bias if you like that, or stiff front bar setting and mid rear for a close neutral balance like stock but stiffer. If these add more oversteer then you like for controlling the possible rear sliding try stiff front soft rear bar . It will be trial and error but that’s all part of the fun!
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 10:01 AM   #368
pontiaco1

Drives: 2018 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
The thing is, the PTM modes were set up for track use, and they work as advertised on a road course. However, they are pretty aggressive for use in an autocross, where things are much tighter and slower and where slip angles are often higher (even transitioning into sliding at times). I think it's been well demonstrated that turning all the nannies off is the fastest way to autocross a Camaro, and a promise you that this is how every top autocross driver (like Nationals trophy winner) runs the car.
ok I'm going to try that way thanks!!
pontiaco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 10:03 AM   #369
pontiaco1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Op, all I can add is you have changed some parts that can possibly add to oversteer issues, mainly the , I assume, the BMR sway bars. If you haven’t used them yet at an event, use the search button for sway bars to see what results and bar settings guys are using. You have gone from a stock car balance which is darn good if not slightly understeer biased to potential oversteer tail happy if the bars aren’t set right. Mainly as the rear bar settings are really stiff vs the front bar, so don’t go to crazy. Based on stiffness rates from BMR maybe try mid front bar hole and soft rear bar for a tiny bit oversteer bias if you like that, or stiff front bar setting and mid rear for a close neutral balance like stock but stiffer. If these add more oversteer then you like for controlling the possible rear sliding try stiff front soft rear bar . It will be trial and error but that’s all part of the fun!
Copy that!!!
Old 11-02-2023, 10:55 AM   #370
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Another excellent point!

PTM should still work regardless of balance changes, as it is based on gyros to measure yaw angles, however its effectiveness may be very different.
Also, with after market mods and all Nannies off, the car's balance could be completely different vs stock. If one does not have a really good feel of what the car is doing, then dialing it properly to actually get some level of benefit from the mods could be a long journey.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 11:10 AM   #371
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Another excellent point!

PTM should still work regardless of balance changes, as it is based on gyros to measure yaw angles, however its effectiveness may be very different.
Also, with after market mods and all Nannies off, the car's balance could be completely different vs stock. If one does not have a really good feel of what the car is doing, then dialing it properly to actually get some level of benefit from the mods could be a long journey.
Exactly. And especially if he takes the training wheels off !
Old 11-02-2023, 12:11 PM   #372
pontiaco1

Ok guys I just got back from doing some back to back run on some back roads with some really tight turns and the car felted much better, more planted on the rear and much responsive, I try sport 1 and 2 and track in all felt I bit different but much better, let's see how I do Sunday on the autocross, will keep you posted . Thank you all
Old 11-02-2023, 01:32 PM   #373
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiaco1 View Post
Ok guys I just got back from doing some back to back run on some back roads with some really tight turns and the car felted much better, more planted on the rear and much responsive, I try sport 1 and 2 and track in all felt I bit different but much better, let's see how I do Sunday on the autocross, will keep you posted . Thank you all
Well you changed a lot and new tires. And the sway bars will make it feel better with less roll which will help camber loss with less body and tire roll. Maxing out camber helps a lot as well if you want to do that down the road. More grip and better turn in. Where are your bars set?
Old 11-02-2023, 03:20 PM   #374
pontiaco1

Quote:
Well you changed a lot and new tires. And the sway bars will make it feel better with less roll which will help camber loss with less body and tire roll. Maxing out camber helps a lot as well if you want to do that down the road. More grip and better turn in. Where are your bars set?
my BMR bars are the non adjustable ones, I order the adjustable ones and they send me the wrong ones so I decided to install them, they are thicker than the originals though. I did the strut mod to get more camber and I was able to get negative 2.8 camber but right now it's at negative 2.0 up front and negative 1.8 rear.
Old 11-02-2023, 03:45 PM   #375
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
my BMR bars are the non adjustable ones, I order the adjustable ones and they send me the wrong ones so I decided to install them, they are thicker than the originals though. I did the strut mod to get more camber and I was able to get negative 2.8 camber but right now it's at negative 2.0 up front and negative 1.8 rear.
Cool. Your front is 40% stiffer than 1le, like my hotchkiss bar set soft. Your rear is just 16% stiffer. So no oversteer worries from those. May have understeer with staggered stock tires but with the BMR suspension parts maybe ok(?) Anyway sounds like on the street it’s working for you. Autocross will tell the tale
Old 11-02-2023, 03:56 PM   #376
pontiaco1

[QUOTE=VR Baron;11375513]Cool. Your front is 40% stiffer than 1le, like my hotchkiss bar set soft. Your rear is just 16% stiffer. So no oversteer worries from those. May have understeer with staggered stock tires but with the BMR suspension parts maybe ok(?) Anyway sounds like on the street it’s working for you. Autocross will tell the tale[/QUOTE
what tirepressure should i shootforon the SC3s??]
Old 11-02-2023, 03:58 PM   #377
pontiaco1

Quote:
Cool. Your front is 40% stiffer than 1le, like my hotchkiss bar set soft. Your rear is just 16% stiffer. So no oversteer worries from those. May have understeer with staggered stock tires but with the BMR suspension parts maybe ok(?) Anyway sounds like on the street it’s working for you. Autocross will tell the tale
What tire pressure should I shoot for on the new SC3s ???
Old 11-02-2023, 05:25 PM   #378
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
What tire pressure should I shoot for on the new SC3s ???
For autocross use with those tires, I would aim for 33psi front and 31psi rear. Set pressures there for your first run, and then bleed off pressure between runs to set it back there every time, because it will gain heat/pressure on at least your first three or four runs.