Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-04-2022, 07:18 AM   #1
KaMaRow
Account Suspended

Drives: Man
Send a message via ICQ to KaMaRow Send a message via AIM to KaMaRow Send a message via Yahoo to KaMaRow Send a message via Skype™ to KaMaRow
So My ZL1 will be here in a week. What do I need to know?

So this will be my first Camaro. My first supercharged car (although I am not a stranger to high performance cars) and I know that you go for a break in oil change at 500 and not to take it over 4000 rpm in that time. What other things should I know or look out for? Ill admit I for the longest time never even looked at a Camaro cause I drank the cool aid and always thought they were crap. But I started looking once i had owned and exhausted other options and figured why not try a Camaro. Then a buddy got one and I drove it a bit and its a great performance car not sure why all the hate except I can agree the interior material is a bit lacking. IM hoping i just absolutely love it after owning it. Anyway what are some do and dont things ? I already have a borla atak exhaust ordered and on way and dealer is gonna install it at time of pdi. what other suggestions.

I will add so far most all replies to any post I have made here has been answered respectfully even if we dont agree which is a nice change from other car groups i have been in. That in and of itself helps owning a certain car even better when other owners are adults
KaMaRow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 07:31 AM   #2
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
If you're getting a non 1LE ZL1, double check and make sure the transport spacers that go on the magnetic ride system are off. Dealers seem to forget to do this even though it's probably #1 on the predelivery insurrection.

You can't miss this as they are orange and sit towards the top of the spring. If left on, when you drive they will cause a very harsh ride and cause damage to the MRS.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 07:44 AM   #3
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
For easier identification, this is the transport spacer Vigilante was talking about: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...35&postcount=1

KaMaRow, I don't think there's much to worry about, just hop in the car, adjust your mirrors and enjoy the drive, it's a well designed and built performance machine, definitely not made from cotton candy The one thing I can think of is the paint, the clearcoat is fairly brittle and scratches easily, this would be the best time to consider rock guards and any PPF work you may want to get done after delivery.

I'm also curious about all that negative "kool-aid" you heard about the Camaro. What was it about? Visibility? Interior or trunk space? Performance perhaps?

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 08:01 AM   #4
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Congrats!

Aside from following the break in process, I suggest a good ceramic coating and some PPF if you want to keep the paint looking good for as long as possible.
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 08:05 AM   #5
KaMaRow
Account Suspended

Send a message via ICQ to KaMaRow Send a message via AIM to KaMaRow Send a message via Yahoo to KaMaRow Send a message via Skype™ to KaMaRow
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
For easier identification, this is the transport spacer Vigilante was talking about: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...35&postcount=1

KaMaRow, I don't think there's much to worry about, just hop in the car, adjust your mirrors and enjoy the drive, it's a well designed and built performance machine, definitely not made from cotton candy The one thing I can think of is the paint, the clearcoat is fairly brittle and scratches easily, this would be the best time to consider rock guards and any PPF work you may want to get done after delivery.

I'm also curious about all that negative "kool-aid" you heard about the Camaro. What was it about? Visibility? Interior or trunk space? Performance perhaps?
the typical, poor design, poor visibility, cheap interiors, feels like you are riding in a coffin, trunk space. I just always figured its all true since Camaro sales are abysmal like the whole world hated the thing.

But actually im useing that to my advantage... In my area anyway camaros and mustangs are a dime a dozen and no one pays then any attention. My C8 and Supra are about annoying to drive because you are never left alone if you stop moving 20 people want to talk about them. The Zl1 My buddy took his new one to a car meet and no one even looked at it LOL so will be nice to go under the radar with a top tier performance car

My only complaint i have after being in one and driving my buddies 2022 zl1 is I still feel the interior needs to be made better. it is tons better in the ZL1 then other trims but still lacking for my tastes and when compared to the supra or c8. But that is simply my personal experience and what I have to compare to I realize it is totally subjective. My only real complaint and again personal taste here. is the air vents. Mechanically and function wise they are brilliant with the turning ring. but for me their placement and the shear size of them and the way they take over the interior is a put off for me.

The nav unit could have been better designed and placed then the two air vents below it could have been put on dash and then free up all that space where they are now for phone holder storage or a better placed dc outlet. but again just picking nits... no car is 100% perfect and I think im gonna love it just fine. if not well i have the z06 on the way
Old 03-04-2022, 08:06 AM   #6
KaMaRow
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
If you're getting a non 1LE ZL1, double check and make sure the transport spacers that go on the magnetic ride system are off. Dealers seem to forget to do this even though it's probably #1 on the predelivery insurrection.

You can't miss this as they are orange and sit towards the top of the spring. If left on, when you drive they will cause a very harsh ride and cause damage to the MRS.
Yes thanks back in 2017 when i picked up my civic type r they had left the shipping spacers on and the shop had closed and all went home. they had to call someone in to take them off.
Old 03-04-2022, 08:45 AM   #7
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
The main thing you need to know is you are going to be broke from gas.
Old 03-04-2022, 08:58 AM   #8
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Vary the rpm on the highway. Let ur oi; warm up before stomping on it- at least 160; change oil between 500 and 750. Use an AC oil filter.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 09:21 AM   #9
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaMaRow View Post
the typical, poor design, poor visibility, cheap interiors, feels like you are riding in a coffin, trunk space. I just always figured its all true since Camaro sales are abysmal like the whole world hated the thing.

But actually im useing that to my advantage... In my area anyway camaros and mustangs are a dime a dozen and no one pays then any attention. My C8 and Supra are about annoying to drive because you are never left alone if you stop moving 20 people want to talk about them. The Zl1 My buddy took his new one to a car meet and no one even looked at it LOL so will be nice to go under the radar with a top tier performance car

My only complaint i have after being in one and driving my buddies 2022 zl1 is I still feel the interior needs to be made better. it is tons better in the ZL1 then other trims but still lacking for my tastes and when compared to the supra or c8. But that is simply my personal experience and what I have to compare to I realize it is totally subjective. My only real complaint and again personal taste here. is the air vents. Mechanically and function wise they are brilliant with the turning ring. but for me their placement and the shear size of them and the way they take over the interior is a put off for me.

The nav unit could have been better designed and placed then the two air vents below it could have been put on dash and then free up all that space where they are now for phone holder storage or a better placed dc outlet. but again just picking nits... no car is 100% perfect and I think im gonna love it just fine. if not well i have the z06 on the way
A lot of this is subjective, I actually find the Camaro ZL1 interior to be quite good. There are some hard plastics but on the ZL1 trim with the Recaros and alcantara all over the place it is pretty nice. IMO, it also looks a lot more sporty than the Mustang and Dodge interiors and while the visibility is not great I don't find it to be an issue for me, especially with all the supporting tech. The rear view mirror camera is pretty cool and gives you a better view out the back than any other car possibly could.

I think one of my favorite characteristics of the Camaro is the way it can go from a calm sporty cruiser to visceral beast depending on your mood. The bottom line is that the Camaro is a car built for the enthusiast and when you do that you are going to limit your audience.

The Dodge products have the extra space, bold styling and excellent marketing but lack the sharper handling of the Camaro. The Ford Mustang just doesn't tug at the heartstrings for me. I only pay attention when you get into the Shelby trims and they are way overpriced IMO.

Then you move to the new Supra, which really means you need to be a BMW fan. I mean the whole interior and powertrain is a BMW. I would be more interested in the new Nissan Z, which so far seems to be a real hit and comes with a 400hp twin turbo with both a manual and 9 speed auto for less money.

The C8 is a great car, had a chance to drive a Z51 on track. I find the A10 to be just as good as the DCT in the C8. The supercharged ZL1 for the same money or less also has quite a bit more pull at highway speeds. From a styling perspective the C8 looks great in the front, but I am still struggling with the rear end styling of the C8. I think the Z06 fixes a lot of what I don't like. The interior is great if you are ok with the partition wall.

The sad part is as enthusiasts we are running out of options as we wait for sporty EVs to hit the market.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 06:49 PM   #10
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Nothing unusual about the ZL1 that I can think of but in my opinion you will like the Recaro seats once you get them broken in to your body shape/weight. They are actually quite comfortable and I wouldn’t trade mine for any other seats. Go by the recommended service intervals in the manual and you won’t have any issues. You will definitely enjoy that new ZL1 after a few miles of driving. Congratulations and enjoy your new hotrod!��
Old 03-04-2022, 08:51 PM   #11
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Oh, and get a bottle of alcantera cleaner

And buy stock in Shell or Mobil... they are Thirsty.
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 09:27 PM   #12
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

Thanks for this, it was very educational

I hear you on vent placement, it felt weird initially and clearly there is wasted space there, but I've taken to this design fairly quickly. You can easily direct the air downwards, which enhances the seat ventilation quite a bit with the A/C on. The cockpit ("coffin") feel is something I specifically love about the car, as it envelopes you instead of making you feel you are sitting "on top of it".

On the phone storage front, I added two "supercar style" phone nets, plus trimmed the wireless charging pad a bit, now it accepts larger modern phones and charges everything just fine. Your ZL1 will come with wireless Android Auto if you're into such things.

One other thing you'll absolutely fall in love with and might not expect is that the faster you go and turn, the better the car handles, it simply feels more and more in its element. Sure, it hides its speed as a "side effect", you will probably want to track it regularly or at least get a radar detector

The 6th gen is genuinely outstanding for its price range, and I only have an SS (albeit with a number of 1LE enhancements, an important suspension mod and quite a bit more than stock ZL1 power). Your ZL1 will have the electronic diff that, as I was told, adds a new level of awesome.
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 10:36 PM   #13
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:
So this will be my first Camaro. My first supercharged car (although I am not a stranger to high performance cars) and I know that you go for a break in oil change at 500 and not to take it over 4000 rpm in that time. What other things should I know or look out for? Ill admit I for the longest time never even looked at a Camaro cause I drank the cool aid and always thought they were crap. But I started looking once i had owned and exhausted other options and figured why not try a Camaro. Then a buddy got one and I drove it a bit and its a great performance car not sure why all the hate except I can agree the interior material is a bit lacking. IM hoping i just absolutely love it after owning it. Anyway what are some do and dont things ? I already have a borla atak exhaust ordered and on way and dealer is gonna install it at time of pdi. what other suggestions.

I will add so far most all replies to any post I have made here has been answered respectfully even if we dont agree which is a nice change from other car groups i have been in. That in and of itself helps owning a certain car even better when other owners are adults

Mine is currently at just over 400 miles and I've taken her up and down the rev range repeatedly. I don't race the engine that often, but I also don't baby it. I figure I'd rather it break down while the bumper-to-bumper warranty is still active than later on when I've ran out of warranty. Having said that, I wouldn't crank the engine and just rev the hell out of it for a buddy.
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 10:58 PM   #14
KaMaRow
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
The main thing you need to know is you are going to be broke from gas.
right lol. i finally get one and its shows up right when a war breaks out and gas hits 5 bucks. yeah me LOL. It may just sit for a while