Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 05-18-2017, 06:12 AM   #1
ZL*Won

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1 A10
What Is Your Ceramic Coatings Experience

Looking for input from those that have put ceramic coatings on previous cars or have long term experience with it. How did it hold up over the years, especially if you used the car as a daily driver? Do you really see a difference in the coatings or all they all pretty much the same?

Best price I have found on 4 coat Ceramic Pro is $1600 for car including paint correction plus extra $300 for rims/calipers. Not an insignificant amount so appreciate any input.

I see the reason for the clear bra and did that. Just trying to figure out if I should ceramic coat the car or its just a scam.

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:47 AM   #2
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
That is alot of money to put down - a major part of that price would be in the labor for paint correction which you should not really need since your car is new should be a minor cutting polish 1-2 step job then the coating.

The whole ceramic coating market in the last few years has just skyrocketed in price in my opinion its price gouging I would find a coating that last for 1-2 years and do it myself every year. There are so many different kinds out now as well and its hard to tell who is the real deal and who is just re branding.

There is also the issue of too many coats and cracking - the 9h stuff is hard and there have been reports of cracking after a couple years if you have too many coats on it becomes thick like a clear coat and can chip/crack then the removal process is pricey.

Pros and Cons to everything -

I just recently did my wheels with the gyeon mohs q2 and the stuff was super easy to put on and has been amazing so far with the bottle I could easily do 3 coats on my car after doing 2 coats on my wheels. I will have to do it again in a year but for $100 vs $1900 ill do the labor involved.
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:23 AM   #3
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Mine is not a daily driver, so I do my usual strip down wash, clay bar, polish and finish. I used Zaino products for years, but have now switched to Blackfire, newer technology and easier to apply. I do it all by hand, no machines.

I agree the ceramic/nano coatings business has gone insane on price.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:28 AM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
It's not a scam ,it works, have seen cars that are 3 years old that still look great. The majority of the money you pay a detailer is for the polishing to get it ready.

Would I do it? No...because with the other new products like carpro reload that you wipe on, you can put on a coating yourself and renew it every couple months with A simple wipe on application. All for about $75 worth of product. Now they are putting the ingredient that makes coatings so good (SI02) in wipe on products, washes and polishes. So you "coat" when you do other processes...

On a new car it's not hard at all to do your own polishing, you should own an good orbital, a medium pad and some polishing (fine polish) product anyway… See the cosmetic section for the posts that we've done on carpro reload and carpro essence. Here's one:

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493444

Last edited by Glen e; 05-18-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:46 AM   #5
2010REDSS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
Mine is not a daily driver, so I do my usual strip down wash, clay bar, polish and finish. I used Zaino products for years, but have now switched to Blackfire, newer technology and easier to apply. I do it all by hand, no machines.

I agree the ceramic/nano coatings business has gone insane on price.
Zaino disciple here....and have been for 15 years......

Can you give me some specifics on Blackfire and the pros that made you switch??

Getting ready to do the whole Dawn wash, clay bar, polish routine on the Z/28 and my wife's vert first weekend in June and maybe I need to try something new??

Would love your compare as you have used both. Thanks!!

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2016 2SS Convertible "NOTOPSS" (Sold)
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"
2010 2SS Coupe "FASSTER" (Sold)
2002 SS/RS "02FASST" (Sold)
2007 Factory Five Racing GTM "REDBLUR" (Sold)

"There are two kinds of cars. Red....and everything else!"
2010REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:23 AM   #6
7WSM

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
For the price they are charging on these ceramic coatings, you can buy the tools to do it yourself. It's not that hard to do. Just do your research and have patience when doing it. A new car shouldn't take too long if the paint hasn't been hammered by improper washing.

I have used several different coatings (Opticoat, 22PLE, Cquarts) and to me they all look about the same after they are done, but do apply differently. They all can last several years with the correct amount of maintenance. To me it's well worth the price since I can do the whole paint correct and application of the coating myself. It makes the car a lot easier to keep clean and maintain. Bugs and dust do not stick to the paint as well with the coating on.

This weekend I am planning on doing a full correction and CQuarts coating. The paint isn't bad, but does have a couple of small swirls/scratches from the dealership washing the car before I got there. I am planning at least 8-10 hours from decontamination wash to finish coating.
7WSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:35 AM   #7
thompstl1

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1

I applied my own ceramic coating (Pinnacle from AutoGeek) to 4 vehicles. I’m pretty experienced in paint correction, but on a new vehicle I’d see no problem in a “newbie” being able to apply the coating successfully.Pinnacle is no harder to apply (although a bit different) than a wax or sealer.

The results are beyond anything I’ve used in many years in terms of shine and protection. All the cars feel very smooth and repel water/dirt much better than previous coatings of any type.

That said, I spent about $400 on the materials to do the 4 vehicles (and a heck of a lot of hours). As much as I like the technology, I’d never pay a huge sum to have it done. Also, a local shop (and a very good one I might add), agreed to clean/ceramic coat my new ZL1 for $400 (they add $300 if much paint correction is needed which mine did not). If it weren’t for simply wanting to do my own, I’d have gladly paid that much for the job.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #8
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
You already know my feelings on the subject..
Old 05-18-2017, 10:05 AM   #9
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010REDSS View Post
Zaino disciple here....and have been for 15 years......

Can you give me some specifics on Blackfire and the pros that made you switch??

Getting ready to do the whole Dawn wash, clay bar, polish routine on the Z/28 and my wife's vert first weekend in June and maybe I need to try something new??

Would love your compare as you have used both. Thanks!!
I used Z for MANY years too!!
Then converted to BF, then CQ
CQ still NEEDS maintence, more than you think.....

Blackfire.........
Easy peasy on and off with all their products.
Looks great, keep in mind, BF tends to make your paint a tad darker.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:06 PM   #10
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
$2000 is a lot of $ for the above services. Like mentioned above, there are easier, cheaper products that with a little weekly maintenance, and a few times a year to redo some of these products, no real need to spend that much $ and time on coatings. Coatings will get you a little bit more protection, but it can still scratch and needs to be maintained.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:42 PM   #11
ZL*Won

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
$2000 is a lot of $ for the above services. Like mentioned above, there are easier, cheaper products that with a little weekly maintenance, and a few times a year to redo some of these products, no real need to spend that much $ and time on coatings. Coatings will get you a little bit more protection, but it can still scratch and needs to be maintained.
I am hearing great reviews about this product. Anybody use it?

http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-paint-guard-plus.html
Old 05-18-2017, 03:46 PM   #12
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL*Won View Post
I am hearing great reviews about this product. Anybody use it?

http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-paint-guard-plus.html
I've used it for years...it is the first wipe on sealant I ever used. Identical to blackfire Crystal seal, it's a poly sealant, lasts 3 months, easy to use. Clay and polish car first, then wipe on ultima.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:48 PM   #13
ZL*Won

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I've used it for years...it is the first wipe on sealant I ever used. similar to blackfire Crystal seal, it's a poly sealant, lasts 3 months, easy to use. Clay and polish car first, then wipe on ultima.
3 months only? That is somewhat disappointing. Was that after applying 3 layers?
Old 05-18-2017, 03:49 PM   #14
Glen e

2 coats, 3 is a waste, you might get 4-5 months out of it, if garaged. But it's so easy to put on, 3-5 months is fine. Takes 30 min to do a car. My car is in palmer ranch with ultima/blackfire on it until Sunday if you want to see it.