Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-01-2018, 09:03 AM   #1
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Traction issues on the street

2SS.
So this has been an ongoing thing although it doesn't always happen, it feels it happens more than it should.

Basically my car is literally wanting to go sideways with normal daily driving acceleration and I at times actually have to fight / counter steer under normal acceleration of which at times is going slower than every day traffic.

Odd thing is, this doesn't always happen - there's times when it accelerates just fine but there's others where I'm not turning anything more than 1.5k RPMS and the motor is just revving in place and the car is trying to go sideways.

Yesterday I was making a right on red from a dead stop onto a road with a 60 MPH speed limit. There was a large break in traffic so I turned and just gave it between 1/8th to 1/4th throttle... from 0 to 35 MPH all it did was rev in place and I had to fight it from going into the shoulder. I let off at 35 and then re-applied 1/4th throttle...and it did the same thing going even in a straight line all the way to 45 before it finally hooked. I later tried to replicate the situation but couldn't. The ground was slightly damp - slightly...so maybe that had alot to do with it, still doesn't feel like that should have happened.

This has happened on completely dry over 100* heat days too however and isn't limited to just turning at intersections. While moving at 45 MPH there's times where I have broken grip by applying more throttle, like cruising at 1/8th throttle to applying somewhere around 3/8ths throttle to pass - and next thing I know she wants to break grip and go sideways. Has been happening throughout the duration I've owned the car (brand new).

Does anyone else experience this?
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
It's easy to break the tires loose with the level of torque the Lt1 puts out on dry pavent, so when it's damp, it's obviously worse. I have the stick shift so have more control over shifting and can avoid this most of the times, but it's easy to go sideways if not paying attention.

Assuming you have the auto, try driving it in manual mode and see if you break loose as often. Also, applying throttle around corners has to be done with finesse..or sideways you go.

Wider tires with more grip (like that on the 1le) should help a lot.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:27 AM   #3
51FIFFT

Drives: 2017 2SS M6 FIFTY @51fifft
If you're having to counter steer then I take it you have TC off? Leave TC on so nannies jump in and do the work for you. Stock tires, air pressure and road conditions all play part in it.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
I would not drive this car with TC off on the street....ever.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Even with my bolt-ons, I've always felt very safe and confident in my car under full acceleration on the street. This car never put me sideways, and neither did my 12 or 15 SS LS3's. My G8 GT and GTO both had this traction issue, and both always put me sideways when they did.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:45 AM   #6
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Might want to check your rear alignment and make sure you aren't riding on the inside of the tires. My old GTO had horrible traction issues and come to find out the alignment was off and only about 1/4 of each rear tires was making good contact on the pavement.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:50 AM   #7
Reddy1LE

Drives: 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
2SS.
So this has been an ongoing thing although it doesn't always happen, it feels it happens more than it should.

Basically my car is literally wanting to go sideways with normal daily driving acceleration and I at times actually have to fight / counter steer under normal acceleration of which at times is going slower than every day traffic.

Odd thing is, this doesn't always happen - there's times when it accelerates just fine but there's others where I'm not turning anything more than 1.5k RPMS and the motor is just revving in place and the car is trying to go sideways.

Yesterday I was making a right on red from a dead stop onto a road with a 60 MPH speed limit. There was a large break in traffic so I turned and just gave it between 1/8th to 1/4th throttle... from 0 to 35 MPH all it did was rev in place and I had to fight it from going into the shoulder. I let off at 35 and then re-applied 1/4th throttle...and it did the same thing going even in a straight line all the way to 45 before it finally hooked. I later tried to replicate the situation but couldn't. The ground was slightly damp - slightly...so maybe that had alot to do with it, still doesn't feel like that should have happened.

This has happened on completely dry over 100* heat days too however and isn't limited to just turning at intersections. While moving at 45 MPH there's times where I have broken grip by applying more throttle, like cruising at 1/8th throttle to applying somewhere around 3/8ths throttle to pass - and next thing I know she wants to break grip and go sideways. Has been happening throughout the duration I've owned the car (brand new).

Does anyone else experience this?
I've rented a 1SS in Florida, it was auto. There was only one time i broke traction; broke it in a toll both. Came to a stop. Mashed on the gas pedal and went sideways for a wee second. TC was going nuts.

Other than that though i never broke traction in that car...maybe your tires are somehow worn out?

I drive a 1LE, I would say upgrade your tires to the tire size of the 1LE. I hardly ever break traction.
What this car really needs is a notification eliminator. There's a wi-fi notification. Bluetooth notification. Parking brake disabled notification. Always some annoying notification popping up. - Navigator post
Reddy1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:32 AM   #8
drperry

Drives: Chevy Blazer
Check your alignment, make sure your tire pressures are good... Also, make sure it's not the road surface... The stock tires are very picky, lol.

If you haven't done it, yet, change out the diff oil for the newer, updated stuff... Out of the factory, the oil doesn't have enough limited slip additive.

This car is more than manageable for everyday street use, even in competition mode. For most surfaces, I have no issues with 1/4 - 1/2 throttle sticking to the road.

Avoid wider tires on a DD, you'll get less grip on anything other than dry pavement.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
drperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:26 AM   #9
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
S/I traction mode helps. And feathering the throttle. Wish there was a setting to auto enable snow/ice during the startup. It always defaults to Tour mode for me.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:51 AM   #10
the_swiSS

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Depends on tire temperature and outside conditions, here it's been getting colder and rainy, if I floor it in 1st or 2nd, I get wheel spin even with TC on. Great for burnouts, not so great for moving along with traffic.

Black Bowties - GM Fuel Door - Black Camaro Fender Logo - K&N Air Filter - Katech ported TB - GM Dark Tail Lights - GM ZL1 1LE 3rd Brake Light - HRE FF04 - Eibach Springs
the_swiSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:50 AM   #11
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Check your rear sway bar too. (bushings, mounts, end links) My buddy had a broken bushing mount and it would do what you are describing.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:39 AM   #12
rickr9504

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1 LE
I just bought my 2SS 1LE on Friday and today, driving the kids to school, I experienced that problem. I had a 2013 2SS 1LE and never that car broke loose like that. the 2018 is more nervous and revs a lot faster than my old one.

My solution when driving with the kids is to put in on snow/ice mode. It makes it more docile from a stop and reduces the risk of breaking lose the tires. The power is obviously reduced but it is bearable and still plenty powerful. Works good in the wet.

Put it back in touring when you want to feel the engine rev.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:56 PM   #13
KCelsius

Drives: 2018 Summit White 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickr9504 View Post
I just bought my 2SS 1LE on Friday and today, driving the kids to school, I experienced that problem. I had a 2013 2SS 1LE and never that car broke loose like that. the 2018 is more nervous and revs a lot faster than my old one.

My solution when driving with the kids is to put in on snow/ice mode. It makes it more docile from a stop and reduces the risk of breaking lose the tires. The power is obviously reduced but it is bearable and still plenty powerful. Works good in the wet.

Put it back in touring when you want to feel the engine rev.
Putting the car in track mode also reduced the amount of torque you have in the first 1/2 of the pedal travel. It kind of makes the bottom end of your pedal feel dead ish and if you want power you have to go past 50%. I do this sometimes and then just manually set suspension/steering in the driving modes menu.
KCelsius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:56 PM   #14
camaroras

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Perhaps check your alignment as others have said? I have a track alignment for reference. I have never had an issue with traction in decent conditions. I can't break the 1LE tires loose (apart from a launch, regardless of drive mode) in good weather, wet or sub 45-ish F and it gets sketchy. Now on continental DWS 06 in 275/35/19 and haven't had any scary moments either, no need to baby the throttle (conti's exposed to damp conditions, but not cold yet).
camaroras is offline   Reply With Quote