Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-01-2020, 12:29 PM   #1
billapex

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Arizona Motorsport Park sound limit

Hi, all. This is my first post, as I bought a new 2020 ZL1 1LE last weekend. After about 20 years off the track, I want to get back into it with the ZL1. Arizona Motorsport Park is about 45 minutes from me, but they have a 96dB limit at 50' (tested as a full-throttle drive-by before the track day starts), which I've been told a stock ZL1 won't pass. Have any of you driven at AMP? Their website shows all sorts of cars/motorcycles that I know would never pass the limit, so I'm a bit perplexed. Thanks for any insight!
billapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:35 PM   #2
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Get some slip on clamp on turn downs made.. it will knock noise level down significantly. Been way of life at many tracks, not sexy, but very functional. Minimal impact on power level. Beats sitting out.

Example:

https://www.uspmotorsports.com/AWE-T...-Down-Kit.html

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:03 PM   #3
billapex

Does anyone know if putting the (stock) exhaust in Stealth mode will keep the valves closed, even under WOT? If it doesn't, then I could put it in Stealth and then pull the valve fuse, thus keeping the valves closed for the sound test. Then I'd just put the fuse back in before the track event started.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:12 PM   #4
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
If you pull the fuse, you lose power to the valves, and the valves default to open from spring pressure. I don't know if the valves stay closed at WOT when in Stealth mode. Best to go out and try it to confirm. But don't do it a lot, someone blew up their muffler and melted their rear fascia trying to pass sound in Stealth at a track.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 02:22 PM   #5
Woody6244

Drives: Chevrollet Camaro SS 1LE
Sound level

Quote:
Originally Posted by billapex View Post
Does anyone know if putting the (stock) exhaust in Stealth mode will keep the valves closed, even under WOT? If it doesn't, then I could put it in Stealth and then pull the valve fuse, thus keeping the valves closed for the sound test. Then I'd just put the fuse back in before the track event started.
I believe that they monitor sound level during track events not just in the test before I know that they actively monitor sound levels at AMP autocross events.
Woody6244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:01 PM   #6
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
Couple things...

First, they do check sound throughout the day... you can't just 'fake it' for the sound check.

Second, keeping the car in 'stealth' mode generates too much heat on track and will likely destroy your bumper. This is not my photo, but this is worst case...

I cut off the outer tips on our ZL1 and added V bands so I could make turnouts to direct the sound away from the sound check location. It passes at Arizona Motorsports Park with our otherwise stock exhaust. After the track day, just swap the stock tips back on.

The other option is just lift past the sound check locations, but where's the fun in that?
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:43 PM   #7
SCCAForums

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
Just get turndowns made, there is no way to pass sound in a ZL1 without turn downs.

If you have an SS, then you can pass sound with out any turndowns.

Here's a pic of mine with turn downs as well:

Best regards,
Dave
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2020, 05:58 PM   #8
m3bs

Drives: '19 ZLE, S54 E36M3
I suppose those F16s taking off across the street meet 96 dB......... I ran there shortly after the track was built.
m3bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:07 PM   #9
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
I've seen them shut down sound checks while the planes are taking off if the AF is playing on a weekend morning...
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:02 PM   #10
SCCAForums

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
I've seen them shut down sound checks while the planes are taking off if the AF is playing on a weekend morning...
Yeah, much more lenient on Jet days, but those are typically during the week, not on the weekends.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 02-18-2021, 09:20 AM   #11
billapex

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I passed sound just fine with the Laguna pipes I had fabricated. I can swivel the pipes depending on the side of the track where the sound booth is located (or which direction we're running).
Attached Images