Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-08-2019, 04:50 PM   #15
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideWithDanger View Post
Thank you for that good info. I just got my AFE intake installed and I am not worried too much about inspections. Do you have a website I can purchase from or where do I need to go?

JacFab.com, click on store, that will take you to all the products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:57 PM   #16
Joker75

Drives: 18 LS/1LE V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
We now stock the new bolt on Overkill 80mm TB kit. The adapter plate is designed with a tapered bore, kind of like a velocity stack, 80mm opening at the front where the throttle body bolts on, and it tapers to 72mm of the stock intake manifold opening. This new setup will work with a stock intake manifold or a JacFab filled and ported intake manifold.

Quote from the Overkill website:

You will need an aftermarket cold air intake to use this 80mm throttle body because as of right now, there is no way to connect the stock air tube/box to the larger 80mm throttle body.

K&N and AFE users will need a 3.5" to 3.25" straight reducing coupler to connect the air tube to the 80mm throttle body. GMPP intake users will need a 3.5" to 3.0" reducing coupler. Have not worked out a solution for the new CAI Inc cold air intake yet as its still too new.

Along with the TB kit, as of Monday we will be offering a coupler and clamps as an optional purchase to go along with the throttle body kit that will suit the K&N, and AFE intakes. We will not be stocking a coupler for the GMPP intake, and probably not the CAI Inc intake.

If you buy the Overkill 80mm ported manifold, the 80mm adapter plate is permanently attached and is irreversible, which may make it difficult for states with stringent visual smog inspection as you will not be able to put the stock airbox/tube on, nor the stock throttle body with this manifold. We (JacFab) are not a fan of this approach of permanently modifying the intake manifold so that you can't go back to, or use stock parts if you choose to, or need to for smog inspection. The JacFab manifold has a stock size throttle body inlet, which you can use the stock or VMAX throttle body, or the new bolt on Overkill 80mm TB kit with the tapered bore adapter.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
While I understand this from the perspective of being able to more easily revert back to stock, or at least appear to, for inspections or warranty work, I am curious if leaving the intake manifold opening the stock 72mm size, is restricting the flow. I would think that leaving the intake manifold opening the stock size, it would prevent the 80mm TB from seeing it's true potential.

Have you considered offering the option of opening up the intake manifold opening to match the 80mm TB, for those who aren't concerned about their warranty, or inspections.

Has anyone contacted Overkill to see if they'd be willing to open up a JacFab filled manifold, so that you don't end up leaving hp on the table, when you go through the effort to upgrade these parts?
Joker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:27 PM   #17
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker75 View Post
While I understand this from the perspective of being able to more easily revert back to stock, or at least appear to, for inspections or warranty work, I am curious if leaving the intake manifold opening the stock 72mm size, is restricting the flow. I would think that leaving the intake manifold opening the stock size, it would prevent the 80mm TB from seeing it's true potential.

Have you considered offering the option of opening up the intake manifold opening to match the 80mm TB, for those who aren't concerned about their warranty, or inspections.

Has anyone contacted Overkill to see if they'd be willing to open up a JacFab filled manifold, so that you don't end up leaving hp on the table, when you go through the effort to upgrade these parts?
Well you know, I've got a manifold here that came from Dustya from his blown up engine that I was planning on cutting open to get a better look at the inside of the manifold.

Before I cut it open, I could port it "overkill style" (permanently attach the 80mm adapter, and open up the inlet to match, and no floor filler), and compare it on the flow bench to the way we do it with filler with the tapered bore adapter with the stock sized inlet.

I will start working on this, I'm waiting on some more porting supplies due in Friday, so I probably couldn't perform this test until late next week some time.

Then we will know.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:56 PM   #18
Joker75

Drives: 18 LS/1LE V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
Well you know, I've got a manifold here that came from Dustya from his blown up engine that I was planning on cutting open to get a better look at the inside of the manifold.

Before I cut it open, I could port it "overkill style" (permanently attach the 80mm adapter, and open up the inlet to match, and no floor filler), and compare it on the flow bench to the way we do it with filler with the tapered bore adapter with the stock sized inlet.

I will start working on this, I'm waiting on some more porting supplies due in Friday, so I probably couldn't perform this test until late next week some time.

Then we will know.
That would be a very helpful bit of data, for you, as well as anyone considering upgrading their intake.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Joker75 is offline   Reply With Quote