Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 12-07-2021, 08:03 PM   #1
1LEDude

Drives: 2SS 1LE
2018 Flywheel Grease?

Tonight I pulled the transmission out of my recently acquired 2ss 1le in search of a leaky rear main seal. What I found has me quite perplexed, I discovered that the source of the leak appears to be coming from the area between the main flywheel and the clutch mating plate. Also, it appears to be some sort of grease although this maybe could be some mixture of clutch dust/engine oil? Also, kinda new to this style of flywheel/clutch, should the clutch mating surface rotate without the flywheel moving? It does this slightly, maybe 15 degrees of rotation if I had to guess.

The car is a 2018 with 43000 miles, kind if a strange car to be leaking anything but I knew it had a leak when I purchased it. I expected to find the source of the leak seeping out of the engine seal but am not sure that is what’s going on.

Please let me know any thoughts on this, I’m wondering if it’s something within the flywheel but have no idea as to what it could be.

Thanks,
1LEDude
Attached Images

1LEDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 06:27 PM   #2
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
Without being able to look closer I would guess that your dual mass flywheel is bad and is leaking the grease from inside itself. The flywheel surface will move as it is designed to help absorb the power pulses from the engine so that the transmission does not have gear chatter.

As they fail the transmission will tend to develop more and more gear chatter until it is simply rattling like a solid unit would. You can either keep the transmission quiet and replace it with an OEM flywheel or go to one of the aftermarket flywheels. When I changed my setup I used the Tilton kit that had a forged flywheel and clutch matched but I believe you can find flywheels that work with the OEM clutch.
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 12:49 AM   #3
1LEDude

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Deakins,

I believe you are correct. I’ve been doing some major reconstructive surgery while the tranny is out and decided to throw a new aftermarket clutch/flywheel in since it’s apart, only God knows how it was driven with the previous owner. I also found a broken motor mount housing after removing the headers as well.

Initially I thought it was odd to only have fluid coming out of the one area with nothing on the rear of the flywheel (engine side) or anything in the clutch although your response clarifies the mystery lube.

Thanks for the assistance
1LEDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 07:29 AM   #4
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Hey I believe this usually happens by over spinning the clutch. This can happen for example running at 50mph and throwing it into first. Even by keeping the clutch pedal to the floor, it will over spin the clutch and pp. Katech has mentioned this previously as well.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote