Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-21-2020, 08:24 AM   #1
Endrivia

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Is it worth doing all the engine work yourself?

I wanna know how hard or how easy it would be if i installed my own cam, new pistons, procharger, fuel system, and meth system myself. ive never done any type of engine work so im curious is it worth trying it and possibly completely ruin it or best leave it to the professionals and spend the extra money.
Endrivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:48 AM   #2
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Spend the extra money and get a professional shop to do the engine work you want done. If you don’t have any experience or knowledge then using your Camaro as a guinea pig wouldn’t be wise in my honest opinion.��
Old 05-21-2020, 09:01 AM   #3
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
If you're up for the challenge, have the appropriate tools, and do your homework on the project, I'd do it yourself! You'll learn a lot about your car in the process.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:05 AM   #4
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
If you've never done anything like that, don't start with that. :-) lots of technical factors, specialized tooling, tolerance issues ETC. Especially when doing that many mods at one time.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:06 AM   #5
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
You should have someone do it if you’re even the least bit unsure of doing it yourself. You have to have all the right tools, all the manuals, you probably should have done a couple before, know the specs for valve clearance and all that, be patient and thorough, and not be rushed. One small mistake somewhere could destroy your engine. It’s best to pay someone or at least work with someone who knows.

I’d at least experiment by buying an old junk engine and rebuilding it before doing a cam on your beautiful Camaro.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:09 AM   #6
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endrivia View Post
I wanna know how hard or how easy it would be if i installed my own cam, new pistons, procharger, fuel system, and meth system myself. ive never done any type of engine work so im curious is it worth trying it and possibly completely ruin it or best leave it to the professionals and spend the extra money.
I’m mechanically inclined and have done some relatively minor engine work, back in the day. Personally, if I wanted to have mods done, I’d hand the keys to highly regarded performance shop.

Way to much risk to take on without the experience, tools and time.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:31 AM   #7
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
IF you have no time limit, good at researching/asking questions and have the tools or money to buy tools. I would take a stab at it. I never had any engine experience before I did, heads, cam swap on my LS1 camaro. All new valvetrain and other necessary things. I took about 3 months to do it and wait on parts and tools to ship as I progressed. If I had to do it again. I would definitely remove the engine from the car and put it on a stand to work on the engine separately from fuel systems, etc.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:38 AM   #8
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
Quote:
If you have unlimited time and resources you might want to give the DIY route a chance.

Just realize that there is a substantial chance that you will end up paying more to have a professional finish a botched job than you would have if you just handed over the keys in the first place.
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:32 PM   #9
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
It is worth it if you want to learn and feel like you accomplished something with your car. However, if you don't know that much about auto mechanical stuff, I'd seek out the help of a experienced mechanic who can help you out.

I'd start out with the basic bolt-ons and go from there. Pistons, I'd save that for an engine shop since that can be tricky if you don't know what you're doing without the proper tools.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:54 PM   #10
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
I wanna know how hard or how easy...or best leave it to the professionals and spend the extra money.
Wow. Lots of good answers here. If you have the time, understanding, and resources to immerse yourself in this project I bet you could do it.
The flip side is you never know what you are going to get with any kind of "professional" installation. Are they gonna work based on their "experience" or actually follow the instructions? Even if you get a guarantee, that does not make them any smarter when they try to do something they screwed up a second time around. A bit of a cynic I am.

The only thing that kills you on these types of jobs is the need for expensive specialty software. Licensing for automotive servicing software can be upwards from $10,000. Puts it out of reach for the DIY'er. If you don't need that, you can buy the parts and specialty tools for less than paying an installer. It will cost you time, but less money overall. You will own the tools at the end.

Given the complexity of your proposed project, I would also try to find some specific videos on youtube to guide your decision. The first engine work I did was a cam, intake, and carburetor swap in the pre-internet days, just following instructions and some DIY books. No issues.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:18 PM   #11
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
you need a factory shop manual and tools. you dont need $10k in software. thats for dealers and shops that work on every vehicle out there.
if your going to do it buy quality tools $2k and a factory shop manual. Dont read magazines because they always leave out important stuff or the screw it up. the engine should be taken out for the cam. you can do it in the car but. Id say unless you can afford to screw it up this isnt really a non mechanic job. it not that hard of a job just very time consuming and no short cuts. you need to know exactly how to do it. if you have some one else do it make sure they are a GM performance shop. if they dont specialize in modern Camaro/Corvette pass on them and go to some one who does. You dont need to be there guinea pig.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:47 PM   #12
Paintslinger16
Two Lane Blacktop

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS
You not having done any engin work before it would be a tough chew. Rebuilding it isn’t impossible but starting from scratch it may seem it. That how some cars and engines become basket cases.
Lots of speciality tools and the knowledge to use them come into play sometimes for just one use.
When your done it still needs a great tune, the SBC of lore where really low tech compared to this new generation
Paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:21 PM   #13
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
If going that far put rods in it since you are going to a super charger. At that point I would buy a built long block for boost and bolt a pro charger on it. Factor in 2,000 bucks for dyno time to get on a dyno and have someone tune it for all those mods. Getting the engine in and out of the car will be the hard part. Once you have it on the stand it is pretty straight forward and easy to do with a service manual. What makes a good engine builder is using quality parts, attention to detail on every small little thing, and not cutting corners. that will pay off in the long run vs shoving the thing together and sending it.
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:15 PM   #14
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Well when the sun goes down - it is just a pile of parts. Its all about your comfort with your skillset and willingness to take your time and be patient.

I myself screwed around with small blocks when I was young, but it had been 25+ years since I pulled an engine in a car. However I have done all my own work on all my cars over the years, and have built engines in everything from dirt bikes, Improve Stock Snowmobile engines, and Harley Engines for myself. And am a machinist by trade.

The only thing real complicated on the GenV small block is the cam phaser / lifters and the high pressure fuel pump stuff. If you put in the research and work with the right vendors to sell you the parts, they will help you along the way. But if you are the kind of person who can't change your own oil, do your own brakes, or can't take the blade off your lawnmower without stripping the bolt head - it isn't the kind of thing to take on.

However I pulled the trans and engine myself this winter (car had a Novi 1500 blower on it and E85 already) - tore it all down myself, spec'd the parts I needed for rods, pistons, cams, lifters, pushrods, springs, etc.... had the rotating assembly balanced and threw it all together. Thing runs like a scalded cat and is smooth as glass.

But you have to know the quirks about the engine (the oil pump alignment, lifter preload needs, how to lash the high pressure fuel pump, ring gap, and block honing) before you even think about taking the engine apart.