Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-15-2019, 04:42 PM   #1
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
Apple. IOS 13 CarPlay update

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/a...10809064460843

Coming in the fall
Old 08-15-2019, 07:18 PM   #2
Bains

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6T
Im an at home advisor for apple and we got access to the beta at the same time as the devs so i've been using it for a while and all in all, it's a huge upgrade from the iOS 12 carplay. Especially the home screen. Now that you're able to see the map as well as the song playing without having to switch over and over, it's amazing.
Bains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #3
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets12 View Post
I’m testing the Beta as we speak and it’s a huge improvement! Only thing I’d complain about, is that on the main screen, it only uses Apple Maps instead of whatever navigation you want to you. I would prefer is having the ability to have Waze on that screen.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #4
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
I’m testing the Beta as we speak and it’s a huge improvement! Only thing I’d complain about, is that on the main screen, it only uses Apple Maps instead of whatever navigation you want to you. I would prefer is having the ability to have Waze on that screen.
That's just how Apple is. They always prioritize first party apps. They stagger things out so their own apps are showcased in major updates even if existing / competing options exist for the same functionality. Then, after a few more iOS updates roll out, they throw a bone to the 3rd party folks once they've already attracted the lions share of customers to their own services and other companies begin to point out their anti-competitive behavior.

The fact that they are only now entertaining the idea of allowing Siri to control Spotify is mind-blowing. Siri has natively been able to control Apple Music since 2015. CarPlay also only supported Apple Maps until just last year, and tbh, their tactics worked, and it actually got me to adopt Apple Maps after being a pretty fervent Google Maps user. It took me a while to begin using Google again.

I'm almost certain 3rd party maps on the phone lockscreen and CarPlay homescreen will eventually be a thing, but maybe not until something like iOS 15 or later.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:54 PM   #5
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
I've been using the beta for a month or so now. It's definitely a step up, but it currently has some issues. Waze only works half the time for me. It's nice to be able to use the phone for something else while the carplay app stays open.
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:39 PM   #6
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
That's just how Apple is. They always prioritize first party apps. They stagger things out so their own apps are showcased in major updates even if existing / competing options exist for the same functionality. Then, after a few more iOS updates roll out, they throw a bone to the 3rd party folks once they've already attracted the lions share of customers to their own services and other companies begin to point out their anti-competitive behavior.

The fact that they are only now entertaining the idea of allowing Siri to control Spotify is mind-blowing. Siri has natively been able to control Apple Music since 2015. CarPlay also only supported Apple Maps until just last year, and tbh, their tactics worked, and it actually got me to adopt Apple Maps after being a pretty fervent Google Maps user. It took me a while to begin using Google again.

I'm almost certain 3rd party maps on the phone lockscreen and CarPlay homescreen will eventually be a thing, but maybe not until something like iOS 15 or later.
Gosh that was nothing but truth! It’s quite annoying. I prefer iPhone just because I use it for simple stuff. (Nothing against android). And as a tech guy I prefer MacOS over Windows for everything but gaming. But gosh Apple can piss me off with their shit.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:57 PM   #7
CUPRA

Drives: '21 Bronco OBX/'18 Jeep GC Altitude
This will alleviate some of the frustrations with the current version of CarPlay - my wife will plug her phone in while driving, we'll fire up a map... she'll get a text message, go to answer it and you lose what you were looking at on the screen till she's finished with her message. That update will be great.

Really wish there was a weather based app available tho.

My Jeep Grand Cherokee has real time weather built into the navigation unit and it's great to have radar overlaying the navigation, so you can see if you need to avoid snow, or severe weather. Wish you could do that with Apple CarPlay, so I could have that feature in my Camaro!
Built: 11/18/22
VIN received: 11/19/22
On a Train: 02/27/23
ETA: TBD

2023 Camaro 2SS Convertible/M6/Shadow Grey Metallic/Adrenaline Red Interior/Carbon Flash Wheels/NPP
CUPRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:11 PM   #8
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Android Auto has an update coming out as well. My phone got the new update and I can use it now, but it seems they are still polishing the final product.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:15 PM   #9
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
As a forced owner of an Iphone 6, I'm not looking forward to this at all. Literally every update has f*cked this phone into a bigger POS than before. God I hate the Apple Corp.
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:02 AM   #10
TheBusDriver

Drives: 2016 2SS (M6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan View Post
As a forced owner of an Iphone 6, I'm not looking forward to this at all. Literally every update has f*cked this phone into a bigger POS than before. God I hate the Apple Corp.
Get a new phone man. That thing is ancient.

I am immensely excited for this iOS 13 CarPlay update.
TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:21 PM   #11
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUPRA View Post
This will alleviate some of the frustrations with the current version of CarPlay - my wife will plug her phone in while driving, we'll fire up a map... she'll get a text message, go to answer it and you lose what you were looking at on the screen till she's finished with her message. That update will be great.

Really wish there was a weather based app available tho.

My Jeep Grand Cherokee has real time weather built into the navigation unit and it's great to have radar overlaying the navigation, so you can see if you need to avoid snow, or severe weather. Wish you could do that with Apple CarPlay, so I could have that feature in my Camaro!
They got the weather channel app in my link but you gotta have WiFi in the car for it to work. I’m not sure if the weather channel app on your iPhone works with CarPlay because I never tried it that way
Old 08-17-2019, 02:19 PM   #12
Bains

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6T
Quote:
The iPhone 6 came out in 2014... When you keep installing hardware intensive updates on an older phone with outdated hardware, it's going to show. Upgrade the phone or stop updating the software.
Bains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 02:24 PM   #13
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bains View Post
The iPhone 6 came out in 2014... When you keep installing hardware intensive updates on an older phone with outdated hardware, it's going to show. Upgrade the phone or stop updating the software.
Some people have to use phones issued to them by their employer. I'm guessing this is why he says he's a forced owner of an iPhone 6.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:54 PM   #14
Cldgin2

Drives: 2017 1LE SS
Quote:
Seems to me you are using an ancient phone. I rarely have issues with any of my iphones, and love how reliable they are. Then again I’m on iPhone X. Perhaps an upgrade?