Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-25-2018, 10:34 PM   #1
DuoMaxwell007

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro 2LT
SS vs 2LT maintainence costs

so I was gonna get a 2013 2LT, but that gone now I see a 2013 SS I wanna get instead thats only $5000 more than the 2LT. My cousin says I shouldnt get the SS and stick to the 2LT simply because of quote "unless youre one of those ppl who dont take your car to a shop and just drive it until something actually breaks, as opposed to keeping it check on every now and then so someone cant find nd prevent those things before they happen. I wouldnt get an SS over the 2LT because a V8 is gonna cost way more to maintain than a V6"

My question is by WAY more is he talking astronomically more? For example if it costs 500 a month (which Im sure it doesnt as no car would considering thats like paying the car no twice in the same month lol) to maintain a 2LT would the SS be 600 a month which is definitely more but its not astronomical, or would it be 900-1000 a month compared to he 2LTs 500. In which case hed definitely have a point.

Also how does insurance usually compare on an SS vs 2LT, I mean my 2LT (if I get i) would cost me only 97 a month for full coverage insurance (which is only 7 dollars more than Im paying a month for my current car) that being said would the SS only be an extra few dollars higher or is it gonna be an astronomical jump to like 150 or 200 a month? lol
DuoMaxwell007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:59 PM   #2
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
I can speak first hand to having owned both a V6 and currently a V8. The cost of maintenance is not much different. Neither is real prone to any specific failure but as with any car you can get a lemon. As far as regular maintenance, oil changes will be a little more because the volume of oil required same goes for most of the other stuff but the actual % cost is maybe 20% more. My insurance went up $48 every 6 months when I went from a 2013 V6 to 2013 V8.

Your friend is talking out of his ass, don't listen to him.

Last edited by Talladega; 11-26-2018 at 11:19 PM.
Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:21 PM   #3
0-120

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS LS3
SS is worth every penny. Maybe your friend doesn’t want you to beat him in a race

If you are not totally financially firm, get the v6. There is no reason to strain yourself for a car. Consider saving over spending.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:25 PM   #4
DuoMaxwell007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talladega View Post
I can speak first hand to having owned both a V6 and currently a V8. The cost of maintenance is not much different. Neither is real prone to any specific failure but as with any car you can get a lemon. As far as regular maintenance, oil changes will be a little more because the volume of oil required same goes for most of the other stuff but the actual % cost is maybe 20% more. My insurance went up $48 every 6 months when I went form a 2013 V6 to 2013 V8.

Your friend is talking out of his ass, don't listen to him.

Umm your insurance went up 48 bucks EVERY 6 months? Shouldn't your insurance LOWER the longer you go without having any accidents or whatnot with the car not increase lol. Also Ive talked myself out of the SS simply because I learned they all come stock with Summer tires and considering what time of month it is Summer tires in Nashville with as cold as it gets (and ice on some days) would be bad. Im not gonna buy a car I cant drive for the first 3 moths or purchasing it.

So 2LT it is lol. Sure Im not gonna drive a 2LT on Snow or Ice conditions either but at least I know with the 2LTs tires if its just 0 degrees outside but no snow or ice. It being just super cold and nothing else wouldnt be an issue or driving the car with its tires unlike Summer tires on an SS.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:31 PM   #5
rozarioorlan

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
I would assume fluid maintenance such as transmission, coolant, brake, etc. would probably be very similar. Oil changes may be a bit more for the SS and possibly brakes and tires could wear a bit faster on the SS due to the higher power and higher speeds, but that would depend on how you drive too. I wouldn’t think it would be a huge crazy difference overall though. On a normal year with two oil changes for my V6 it cost about $100 ($50 each) or so at the dealer. Throw in all those rarer fluid changes and I think those costed me about $600 or something around that for all of them done at the dealer, but those aren’t done every year. I feel those are the most common because we’re not regularly swapping out tires and engine parts. (FYI the overall maintenance cost for my V6 in my 4 years of ownership was not bad at all. I have done everything on time following the GM maintenance schedule and never had one issue with my car.)
2013 2LS - K&N CAI, Overkill Ported 80mm Throttle Body, Overkill E85 Kit and Overkill Tune, Jacfab Ported Intake Manifold and Spacer, Stealth 3.0 TC, ARH Catted Downpipes, Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe, Resonator Delete, Jones Full Boar Racing Mufflers, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Seperator
rozarioorlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:34 PM   #6
DuoMaxwell007

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-120 View Post
SS is worth every penny. Maybe your friend doesn’t want you to beat him in a race

If you are not totally financially firm, get the v6. There is no reason to strain yourself for a car. Consider saving over spending.

Well Im the better driver so even if he had the better car I could still beat him. Ive already beaten his SS in an LT lol (Ive even done it in a Tarus X SUV once lmao but thats a different story). He claims its because of our weight difference, sure he is 200 lbs heavier than me but I seriously doubt that makes a difference when youre sitting in something that literally weighs thousands of lbs.

That plus I dont drag race. If Im gonna race its gotta have some turning and some actual distance with a "make your own route" from Point A to Point B. I dont do that "lets see who can drive 100 yards fastest in a straight line" crap. thats boring. Im sure he or anyone else would have no problem smoking me in an SS doing something as simple as that.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:13 AM   #7
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
The SS is a waste of money unless you go to the dragstrip every week. Then again, if you do that, you might as well really do an upgrade and get a 6th gen SS because they're about as much faster from a 5th gen SS stock as the 5th gen SS is from a V6 stock.

He insurance costs will be higher with the SS and your gas mileage will be worse. Tire replacements costs will be higher as well with the 20's versus the 18's on the base LS.

Also, the initial costs will be higher to step into an SS versus an equivalent V6 model. For some reason, a lot of people seem to forget about that. It's probably because they just look at the monthy payment numbers not realizing the total cost spent over the course of the loan. Dealers love those kind of people.

The only thing you will really miss on the V6 is the low end torque if you're used to V8 style torque. No way to bring that up unless you go F.I. or get a stroker kit.

Everything is based on financials. If it wasn't, we'd all be driving ZL1's.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:14 AM   #8
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i know in 2015 the 2LTs also came equipped with pirelli p zeros (summer tires) recently bought 4 all season cooper rs3 tires in the stock 20" size for $800 from tire rack.free shipping,mounting and balancing was another hundred.it sounds like if you cant swing for a set of new tires maybe you should wait till spring.other than the tires,oil and insurance,there isnt much cost difference,unless you are driving to work in traffic every day,then gas mileage will be less with the V8.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:44 AM   #9
The camaro show

Drives: 2015 camaro 2lt
just tune and do full bolt ons on the v6 and have the best of both worlds, I kinda agree the v8 is a waste I feel like your just paying for the ss name. The lfx can make some big power if you want to go that route
Cosmetic mods: SS hood with painted vent, SS bumper, acs 1le front lip black, big worm gfx tinted all lights, solar wing v2, Camaro seat belt pads and oracle color shift halos and fog light halos and rear colorshift bow tie, carbon creations carbon fiber stingray z spoiler
Wheels: lexani r-3 bg finish 19x8.5
Performance: cold air inductions intake, mrt v1, jacfab ported intake manifold, intake manifold spacer, overkill tuned on E85.
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:50 AM   #10
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Not knowing your age though with your quote I imagine the SS would only be slightly more for insurance and not much at all more in maintenance and actually a much more heavy duty platform.

The transmissions and rear ends are more built for performance and over the years on here I can attest less prone to problems overall compared to lessor v-6 problems which often more get the crap driven out of them and are more everywhere.

The deal is if you get the 6 you will wish you had the 8 and that's how it works up the food chain so your friend is indeed talking out his arse………
This is what Jim Carey changed for Emma Stone...… He must like her; maybe a friend told him to do this?

This is for your friend who shows little taste...….

Ever heard of all season performance tires? I daily drive in Oregon...… talk your self out of it OK...well they will see you in a "used Prius with chains"....LOL Happy Holidays to you too...… One word Blizzak…...LOL Oh that's right any car with stock summer performance tires are off the list..... its got to be the a snow mobile for winter!!!!!!!!

We've been trolled...……….IMO Good God the tires are RS tires I need a stock winter tire car...…...yup good luck there. Talk is cheap...….. ENJOY. And dude says he already drag raced his friend in a v-6 and the friend in a SS...……..Yup …. Poll here; amount of v-8 owners who down graded and love it...………

Here's one with much higher results : guys who have about zl1 power naturally aspirated on here......and loved upgrading their rides they love... versus those that regret building their SS...……. Happy Holidays what ever you choose chuckles...…..

Last edited by christianchevell; 11-26-2018 at 09:26 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:54 AM   #11
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuoMaxwell007 View Post
Umm your insurance went up 48 bucks EVERY 6 months? Shouldn't your insurance LOWER the longer you go without having any accidents or whatnot with the car not increase lol.
He is saying that his insurance premiums increased by $48 for a six month policy period when he went from a V6 to the V8. Not that his insurance goes up every six months.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:37 AM   #12
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The camaro show View Post
just tune and do full bolt ons on the v6 and have the best of both worlds, I kinda agree the v8 is a waste I feel like your just paying for the ss name. The lfx can make some big power if you want to go that route
Yeah...Not sure how to respond to that, but I can assure you it's not the name you are paying for.

I will leave this for some of the other guys.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:51 AM   #13
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuoMaxwell007 View Post
Umm your insurance went up 48 bucks EVERY 6 months? Shouldn't your insurance LOWER the longer you go without having any accidents or whatnot with the car not increase lol. Also Ive talked myself out of the SS simply because I learned they all come stock with Summer tires and considering what time of month it is Summer tires in Nashville with as cold as it gets (and ice on some days) would be bad. Im not gonna buy a car I cant drive for the first 3 moths or purchasing it.

So 2LT it is lol. Sure Im not gonna drive a 2LT on Snow or Ice conditions either but at least I know with the 2LTs tires if its just 0 degrees outside but no snow or ice. It being just super cold and nothing else wouldnt be an issue or driving the car with its tires unlike Summer tires on an SS.

LOL.. I take it your not in Nashville TN. because I know it gets more summer than that..

SS is listed in a different classification then the LT when it comes it insurance. High Performance cars bring a little bit higher rate. My wife has worked in the insurance industry for over 30 years and everytime I buy a car I get a ear full of the ratings on what I'm looking at...LOL

Old 11-26-2018, 09:56 AM   #14
chuckie669

Drives: 2011 ss
Sounds like you know what you want. Be patient and try to find the best deal. Don't be afraid to expand your search distance a little. Better to make the drive once and get the most bang for your buck.

Im biased and cannot speak on 6 vs 8 as my last 4 cars have been LS based v8s. Never had problem one with any sofar outside of normal maintenance knock on wood.

Insurance should be slightly higher on a v8 but nobody can tell you specific percentage because of location, driving habits, history and credit score impact among other things. Easy solution. Call your agent and ask for a hypothetical rate. I get a quote before any purchase.
chuckie669 is offline   Reply With Quote