Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-16-2016, 07:48 AM   #15
dw22racer

Drives: Black 1LT V-6 A8 2016
Glad you enjoyed your V6 rental, but "Haywagon"??
My 1LT handles very well. I drove a 2SS with MRC - felt smooth considering the extra weight of the V8 makes it feel nose-heavy. I guess you really need MRC on the V8 cars. My car compares really well with myZ06 Vette, just not as Darty - more stable. Wife drives Gen 6 Camaro, more than she can handle but keeps her safely in control.
DROOLING OVER 2017 ZL1 (BLACK, OF COURSE)

dw22racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:23 PM   #16
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Just my .02, but I have a 1SS auto without MRC and I think the ride is just fine. That coming from a guy that had a 2010 V6 and was worried about a slight lowering using ZL1 springs.....so yes, ride quality does matter to me. I have no doubt the MRC equipped models ride better. Otherwise if you are a regular guy that expects a normal sport car like ride the Camaro (non-MRC) delivers perfectly without a super jarring ride.

Were the roads just full of pot holes or something? If so, I can see that making a big difference.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:26 PM   #17
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
I too had a 1LT V6 rental for a couple of days. It was an Auto.

Being an auto it was very easy to drive and stoplight response was very good/quick.

The one thing that really stood out to me was the difference in feel of the 18" 1LT wheels vs the 20" wheels on my car. There was a noticeable difference in ride quality and cornering feel.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:26 PM   #18
Ashburner

Drives: 16' 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeDawn View Post
I just hope I don't run across many "rental" GENsixes out here in the Bay Area! I always wondered when I saw a plain old 5th Gen 6 driving around if it in fact was a rental! They need to have a big STICKER on the back of their window that says "RENTAL" so I know not to try and say hi and a thumbs up being that the owner prob would never buy one.

twocents
I just got back from SFO and Avis had two 6th gens available so they do indeed exist.

2016 Toyota Tundra Platinum - Silver, black interior

2016 Ford Explorer Limited - Grey, loaded
Ashburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:10 PM   #19
KenH.

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 NPP MRC
Yes of course smooth or smoothish roads the normal suspension and mrc have minimal differences.

My haywagon reference is because there is (was, they are repaving it now) a stretch of road by my house that each section of road was not even with the next. My car with mrc would soak up those bumps really well at speed. This RS if i went fast enough i could probably get the car to bounce sideways down the road. The difference is amazing, and well worth the premium for mrc. Not saying standard suspension is bad so much as saying MRC makes it so much better.

I picked up my loaner RS with 6 miles on it. I am now pushing 700 miles. I do not want to detract from the car by saying that. Of course I miss my SS but this car is a lot of fun in different ways. It's cool getting to shift through more than two gears without speeding.
KenH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:17 PM   #20
jasonsk287

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIanZ28 View Post
I too had a 1LT V6 rental for a couple of days. It was an Auto.

Being an auto it was very easy to drive and stoplight response was very good/quick.

The one thing that really stood out to me was the difference in feel of the 18" 1LT wheels vs the 20" wheels on my car. There was a noticeable difference in ride quality and cornering feel.
GTIanZ28, did you mean that the 18" wheels had better quality or worse than the 20s?
jasonsk287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:51 PM   #21
dw22racer

Drives: Black 1LT V-6 A8 2016
Another word of advice...
Never buy a used rental car!! It may have been driven by people like us!!
DROOLING OVER 2017 ZL1 (BLACK, OF COURSE)

dw22racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:04 PM   #22
Lukemo

Drives: '17 1LT RS V6 6M NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw22racer View Post
"Haywagon"??
Yeah, to call it a haywagon is a little ridiculous. It may not ride like a car with MRC, but it's a damn fine driving/riding car in stock form.
Lukemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:37 PM   #23
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsk287 View Post
GTIanZ28, did you mean that the 18" wheels had better quality or worse than the 20s?
Sorry I should have been more thorough.

The 18" wheels provided a "softer" ride (lot more sidewall on the tires). In the corners the 18" wheels/tires have much more give. I could feel the tires flexing. Gave the impression of body roll and diving into the corners.

The ride on 20" wheels is somewhat harsher. But, the very low profile tires flex very little making the car feel more stable and planted in the corners.

I wasn't anticipating or looking for the difference in wheel/tire feel. It caught me off guard and was the first thing I noticed when I drove off in the rental car. I was more concerned with the auto trans and was taking in all the interior differences.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:02 PM   #24
KenH.

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 NPP MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukemo View Post
Yeah, to call it a haywagon is a little ridiculous. It may not ride like a car with MRC, but it's a damn fine driving/riding car in stock form.
It is what it is. Any standard sports car suspension is going to be the same way. As I said earlier I didn't say it to be negative. It's just what I like to associate the ride to on vehicles that have a harsh suspension over bumps.

I'm glad I got the RS package for the better handling. Having this car to drive really does put into perspective just how different these cars are from base model to top of the line. Also puts the price difference more into perspective though. Outside of the manual and all the power the thing I'm missing most having the RS is the ability to change the radio station with the steering wheel buttons (not the preset buttons, but set the screen to audio and use the arrow keys on the right side to change stations up and down). Such inconveniences.
KenH. is offline   Reply With Quote