Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-28-2020, 08:09 PM   #15
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
I bought my car used and at least one of the sides is dented, I assume because someone lifted from here. Don't think it's hurt anything, but I always lift from the pinch welds.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:12 PM   #16
GM Lifer

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS in Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
Yeah, you can actually see the depression dent in the pics. It might look weird, but if it really bothers you, you can always ask a paintless dent repair place to fix it for you. Money is money, right?
That's not my car, so the point I'm making is that if this guy's car looks like mine, then nothing happened to my car today.
GM Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:07 AM   #17
Magnum922

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
This is the LGR factory lift point that the chassis is carried on during assembly. It's worn during assembly because the conveyor carries the chassis after it's painted.
I didnt know that. I've seen the dealer lift it from there with their rubber pucks. I just assumed they made that rubber mark.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:09 PM   #18
GM Lifer

Here's a photo of my own car. To my eye, it looks just like the other photos on this post, so I'm content no damage was done. In addition to the scuffing around that inboard circle, it's funny how everyone seems to have one or two scratches between the outboard circle and the rocker. Must've been part of the assembly process.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2020, 12:28 PM   #19
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Lifer View Post
Here's a photo of my own car. To my eye, it looks just like the other photos on this post, so I'm content no damage was done. In addition to the scuffing around that inboard circle, it's funny how everyone seems to have one or two scratches between the outboard circle and the rocker. Must've been part of the assembly process.
There is damage though. The edge of the aluminum subframe support looks like it's been bent in the pic.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:47 PM   #20
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
GM says pinch welds only any people have damaged the car not lifting on the pinch welds. Those other places eventuality will cause damage. Just buy the ZL1 add ons Jack pads.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:51 PM   #21
Dragon08

Drives: 2020 1LE
I've learned several things the hard way on this in the short time I have had my Camaro.

1, There is some damage to the steel panel that contains the body locating holes. Its relatively minor, and will not impact the performance of the chassis. This is 1mm mild steel that is just there to locate the body during the build process. Mine looks very similar to that because I lifted my car incorrectly due to my own ignorance and didn't check here first.

2, The LH side seems to hold up better than the RH side. Maybe its coincidence, but the images I have seen on the forum seem to show the RH panel getting smooshed in more. That has definitely been my experience as well. So check the other side too.

3, The damage to the flange on the aluminum member bothers me more. That is a structural brace. In my opinion, that damage is not a problem for performance, but it is there. A little fab work can square that up, just be smooth. It is aluminum and will fatigue if you over work it.

OK, now a question for the crew. I have since installed lift pads. (Im slow, but I can be taught.) Has anyone had any issues with shops still finding a way to lift the car incorrectly with the pads installed? Seems like it would be difficult to avoid them and lift badly, but nothing is impossible !
Dragon08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:22 PM   #22
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
you have to tell them the pads are there then watch them lift it. you might get the dont tell me my job attitude. If you do its because they dont know how to lift your car.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:44 PM   #23
GM Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
There is damage though. The edge of the aluminum subframe support looks like it's been bent in the pic.
Sure enough, I hadn't even noticed the small bend in the subframe. Just compared it to the passenger side, and there's no bend over there. I must've been living with this one quite some time in complete ignorance. Some prior service who knows where. I saw where the Discount guys put the jack pucks, and it was smack in the middle of the body-color locating holes.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:52 PM   #24
GM Lifer

[QUOTE=Dragon08;10800335]I've learned several things the hard way on this in the short time I have had my Camaro.

1, There is some damage to the steel panel that contains the body locating holes. Its relatively minor, and will not impact the performance of the chassis. This is 1mm mild steel that is just there to locate the body during the build process. Mine looks very similar to that because I lifted my car incorrectly due to my own ignorance and didn't check here first.

Actually, there's no damage in this area. You're seeing a reflection of the aluminum brace. I made the same mistake. There are two scratches on it, but the same scratches are on every one of these I look at.

3, The damage to the flange on the aluminum member bothers me more. That is a structural brace. In my opinion, that damage is not a problem for performance, but it is there. A little fab work can square that up, just be smooth. It is aluminum and will fatigue if you over work it.

As I mentioned in another reply, I hadn't even seen that. Discount didn't do that. I saw where they put the puck, and it was right between the two body locating holes. Guess I've been living with this one for quite some time and had no idea. Now that I see it, it bugs me cosmetically but not functionally. Might even have happened from the front tire flinging up a rock. Heaven knows that with our fat tires and low stance, the bottoms of these cars take a beating. Next time I have my regular service guy do an oil change, I'll get his opinion on fixing it. But as my wife says whenever I complain about something that faces the ground, "Only the ants can see it."

Last edited by GM Lifer; 05-29-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:36 AM   #25
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
you have to tell them the pads are there then watch them lift it.
Yep it is much easier to be there in person to prevent damage from incorrect lifting than it is to deal with getting them to fix damage they caused after the fact.

One time the Discount Tire tech tried to drive my car into a bay with the in floor lift that would not reach the pinch welds even after I asked the guy at the counter to use floor jacks on the installed lift points. Thankfully I was watching from just outside of the bay and corrected them before they caused any damage. Now I make sure to walk up to the car and point out the lift point locations to the tech(s) before they start jacking it up.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:16 AM   #26
Lostx403

Drives: 19 SS
Read this article this morning and made me think of this thread

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/06...rvice-bay/amp/

FYI to anyone C8 owners
Lostx403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:32 AM   #27
buckyss

Drives: '19 Camaro SS
Where do you locate the lift pads? On the pinch welds to lift the car or on the the pinch welds to place a jack under to hold the car up? I ordered a set of 4 and want to make sure I place them in the correct location.

Thanks.
buckyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:52 AM   #28
DIYguy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Smile

I had an old Mercedes and an old BMW that had beautiful built-in permanent jack points with rubber pads.
They were so obvious and easy to use that it would be difficult to mess it up.
But even they have since stopped providing them.
This is a monumentally bad trend in automotive design just to save a buck or two and a tiny bit of weight, IMHO.
The C8 photos and videos of cars falling off lifts (in some cases actually killing people) are proof of the need for caution.

As for the pinch point lift locations on our cars, several photos have been posted on the forum showing them, but basically they are at the far front and rear cutouts in the rocker panels on each side.
Perform a search and they should pop up, otherwise I can try to find them for you.
There are also two cutouts for lift points if lifting the entire side of the car.
Do yourself a favor and when installing permanent ones, preferably paint them fluorescent red or yellow.
Or obtain some safety labels with arrows and point them to the lift points.
Insist upon watching service techs positioning lifting devices on them when doing service, otherwise go somewhere else.

My car has markings that clearly evidence someone lifting it improperly.
I bought it a year old so I have no idea who did it or when, but one of the first things I did to it was to add permanent lift pads (I fabricated my own).
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...ghlight=diyguy posting #23

FWIW...

Last edited by DIYguy; 06-02-2020 at 11:02 AM.
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote