Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

AWE Tuning

Old 12-19-2019, 09:50 AM   #113
VmaxGen2
USN CPO

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1, 2017 Camaro 2SS
Just checked the American Authority website. Loaded in the shopping cart this hood is showing $765 as of right now. Wow.
VmaxGen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 03:31 PM   #114
Qlimax

Drives: White 2018 camaro ss
I am considering this hood. But I would prefer a lighter tint color.. wish I could buy a clear on and tint it myself
Qlimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 03:41 PM   #115
VmaxGen2
USN CPO

I've decided to paint my Smoked scoop. It's not really noticable in pictures but when you get the hood and scoop you'll quickly see how the rear hood structure is very visible. It connects the hood left and right sides and is NOT visually appealing at all. Down right ugly IMHO. So it's gloss black for me and goes well with the rest of the car. All the aero pieces are gloss black as you can see here.
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2020, 10:49 PM   #116
VmaxGen2
USN CPO

Well it's been a long wait. The hood has now been installed. Hill's Paint and Body shop did a good job matching the color and final finish.

Like others before me with this hood it will need some more adjustment to get the hood, fenders and front fascia height to align better than the initial installation. The bodyshop did say this is the best quality aftermarket hood he has seen and really liked it's aluminum. The minor mold flaws were easily worked out, none are visible after paint. That said, I was charged an additional $200 to correct the flaws.

The hardware for the center piece (CP) was taped to the inside of the shipping box. There is a little vibration of the CP, not too much, but it's there just as another fellow here on the forum has experienced. The vents or holes where air and water will pass are not like other photos I saw of this hood. They are fairly large, rectangle shaped and easily visible when viewing from the rear left and right. They are not visible from the side and front.

The hood shuts and latches without too much effort. When dropping it from 12" it doesn't latch, a little push does it. From 18" it will latch (on my car).

Overall I'm happy with it. This was a very expensive modification. It's one of those mods that you have to have inspite of the cost. The car looks great. Here's a photo, I'll add some more shortly so all can see better details.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2020, 07:17 PM   #117
VmaxGen2
USN CPO

It appears this hood is no longer available. It's not listed on their website. I emailed AA asking if it's been discontinued, I was told from another reliable source it has been.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:44 PM   #118
FH212

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by VmaxGen2 View Post
It appears this hood is no longer available. It's not listed on their website. I emailed AA asking if it's been discontinued, I was told from another reliable source it has been.
Damn that sucks.....just when I was thinking about getting one!
2001 Mecham Trans Am #3 - 7.0L LS1
FH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:12 PM   #119
VmaxGen2
USN CPO

Well no worries Shipmate �� Your delay may work out better for you. I emailed AA asking if the hood was still available since it was no longer listed on their website. AA responded no it's not, but they are working on another hood and it should be available later this year.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:20 PM   #120
iosigma

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 1991 Camaro RS
Well guys and gals, I found this hood on alibaba.com from China. It’s by MP Concepts. Everything I’ve read says it’s the same hood AA was selling. The great part is they’re low priced. The part thats terrible is shipping from China. I messaged a couple of try distributors there. The quoted me $300 for the hood, but over $750 for residential shipping to the US. Guess the new tariffs and such has caused that increase and maybe that’s why we’re not rig them sold in the US.
iosigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:56 AM   #121
VmaxGen2
USN CPO

I would be very leery of a $300 hood. If you were to get it and the fit was not to your satisfaction the low price would loose it's luster for sure. This $1,000 hood from AA has it's flaws. Good luck with your search.
Attached Images

Last edited by VmaxGen2; 05-04-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:05 AM   #122
chaospiece

Drives: 2018 SS, 2016 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by iosigma View Post
Well guys and gals, I found this hood on alibaba.com from China. It’s by MP Concepts. Everything I’ve read says it’s the same hood AA was selling. The great part is they’re low priced. The part thats terrible is shipping from China. I messaged a couple of try distributors there. The quoted me $300 for the hood, but over $750 for residential shipping to the US. Guess the new tariffs and such has caused that increase and maybe that’s why we’re not rig them sold in the US.
American authority is MP concepts, just rebranded for the Camaro.
They as well as ikon and other "American made" companies are resellers of Chinese products.

You can find molds to almost all the aftermarket companies on Chinese trade platforms, because its their design to begin with.
chaospiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:26 AM   #123
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
if theres one thing I will be doing now is to buy as little chinese made products as I possibly can.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:13 AM   #124
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by VmaxGen2 View Post
Well it's been a long wait. The hood has now been installed. Hill's Paint and Body shop did a good job matching the color and final finish.

Like others before me with this hood it will need some more adjustment to get the hood, fenders and front fascia height to align better than the initial installation. The bodyshop did say this is the best quality aftermarket hood he has seen and really liked it's aluminum. The minor mold flaws were easily worked out, none are visible after paint. That said, I was charged an additional $200 to correct the flaws.

The hardware for the center piece (CP) was taped to the inside of the shipping box. There is a little vibration of the CP, not too much, but it's there just as another fellow here on the forum has experienced. The vents or holes where air and water will pass are not like other photos I saw of this hood. They are fairly large, rectangle shaped and easily visible when viewing from the rear left and right. They are not visible from the side and front.

The hood shuts and latches without too much effort. When dropping it from 12" it doesn't latch, a little push does it. From 18" it will latch (on my car).

Overall I'm happy with it. This was a very expensive modification. It's one of those mods that you have to have inspite of the cost. The car looks great. Here's a photo, I'll add some more shortly so all can see better details.
Bro, where did you get those 1LE rims in silver/chrome?
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:58 AM   #125
VmaxGen2
USN CPO

https://pkautodesign.com

Got the tires and wheels from Paul at Pkauto Design in So Cal. Super nice man, really knows wheels and had the best deal I could get. The wheels are MRR017's 20x10 23 OS front 20x11 rear 43 OS. The Polished Powder coat color was extra at $100 per wheel.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:14 PM   #126
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Unfortunately if all you guys think this is really an American made product, you are just playing yourself.

This is the same "1,000" hood you're buying but its already stateside... hey me dealing with the Chinese market myself.... it maybe even drop-shipped from China... since they have improved such that you can get stuff from China in under a week.

Open your eyes people. Thinking the other will just keep the Camaro market priced as such if people just keep paying the middle man more money. Just because.