Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-29-2019, 08:25 AM   #1
TKoby

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2.0t
Looking for new Exhaust for 2019 Camaro I4

I have had my camaro since May and I am looking to change my exhaust. I an Injen Evolution cold air intake and will soon have the ZZP catted downpipe.

I am trying to look for good sounding exhaust. The combination of the downpipe and the two exhausts I have been looking at specifically have no videos.

Flowmaster AXLE-BACK American Thunder
Borla ATAK AXLE-BACK

I have looked at these the most and can't decide which sounds the best. Videos I have watched:
Flowmaster
Borla ATAK
ZZP Catted Downpipe

I am also curious if either of these could increase performance. I am new to the car world.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Last edited by TKoby; 12-29-2019 at 11:43 AM.
TKoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:04 AM   #2
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
The American Thunder has a deeper exhaust note but there will be a lot of drone. I swapped mine out for the Borla S-Type and couldn't be happier. Not quite as deep as the Flowmaster but no drone at all. Much less noise in the cabin. Worth the price.
SSShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:20 AM   #3
TKoby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8minus4 View Post
The American Thunder has a deeper exhaust note but there will be a lot of drone. I swapped mine out for the Borla S-Type and couldn't be happier. Not quite as deep as the Flowmaster but no drone at all. Much less noise in the cabin. Worth the price.
Have you seen or heard the Borla ATAK?
Also will the downpipe make the sound deeper?
Old 12-29-2019, 12:29 PM   #4
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
There is no drone with the Flowmaster unless it was installed poorly. It will sound like a tractor for a few months until it breaks in then it gets better I've had mine on for 3 yrs. Now. The borla is nice but way overpriced for what it is. You could try anything Mishimoto or MRT has they are the best sounding outside getting a full cat-back.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 12:53 PM   #5
TKoby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
There is no drone with the Flowmaster unless it was installed poorly. It will sound like a tractor for a few months until it breaks in then it gets better I've had mine on for 3 yrs. Now. The borla is nice but way overpriced for what it is. You could try anything Mishimoto or MRT has they are the best sounding outside getting a full cat-back.
Over Mishimoto would you say the Flowmaster would be my best bet? How different will it sound with the ZZP downpipe and 1-10 how loud is it in person. Videos don't do any justice.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:26 PM   #6
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back for the win!!
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:01 PM   #7
SSShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKoby View Post
You're going to hear many different opinions here. It all comes down to a matter of personal preference.
I don't see how anyone can improperly install an axle back as it is a very basic install.
Listen to the many Youtube videos out there as I did before making a decision. Enjoy your new Camaro!!
Old 12-29-2019, 06:58 PM   #8
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Over Mishimoto would you say the Flowmaster would be my best bet? How different will it sound with the ZZP downpipe and 1-10 how loud is it in person. Videos don't do any justice.
On a cold-start the flowmaster is fairly loud but quiets down. I have only ever heard videos of the Mishimoto but the quality is far better. I have the ZZP Catted DP and it's not unbearable by any stroke of the imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back for the win!!
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8minus4 View Post
Y
I don't see how anyone can improperly install an axle back as it is a very basic install.
With the snowflakes getting apprentice jobs at muffler shops these days I've seen some dumb shit like people installing shit upside down.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:11 PM   #9
SSShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post

With the snowflakes getting apprentice jobs at muffler shops these days I've seen some dumb shit like people installing shit upside down.
Very true. That's why I don't let anyone touch my car. I let the dealer do my first 2 free oil changes and that's it.
As for the flowmaster axle back, I installed myself and they came out perfect. After a while, it just sounded louder than I was really looking for.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:26 PM   #10
Sales@Phastek

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:

We installed a Mishimoto downpipe on our '16 2.0T and it did give it a deeper tone. The down pipe is currently the only installed exhaust mod. It gave the Camaro a noticeably deeper more aggressive and raspier tone than stock. I will leave a link to our install and sound test video below with time stamps to the rev and acceleration.

>>> DOWN PIPE SOUND TEST <<<

-Sean
Sales@Phastek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:09 PM   #11
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
just remember not all the noise goes out the back. even double walled borla is intrusive w/o the mid muffler. you wont get peak gains, but earlier peak tq in the power curve.. a couple hundred rpm or so. its a good building block. what ever you get, spy a mid pipe bullet just in case. They will all be flow though, not chambered, and loud. some even go back to the OEM suitcase. I have the OEM box as a rescue for sale. Love my Borla-Touring cat back.

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:39 PM   #12
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
downpipe and muffler delete is what alot of us used to do on the cobalt ss sounds really good and gives alot more power!

Tags
2019, borla, exhaust, flowmaster