Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #71
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Interested in Elite's take on this article from SuperChevy on the LT4, particularly the text I copied below about the PCV separator. I'm no expert on this which is why I'm asking

http://www.superchevy.com/features/1...e_z06s_lt4_v8/

A PCV separator, which is unique to the LT4, was developed to keep oily air from being drawn through the intake, where it could end up collecting on the back of the intake valves. A little bit of oil on a port-injected engine can help lubricate valves, but because all Gen 5 V8s are direct injected, there’s no fuel washing the back of the intake valve. That means oil in the PCV system can end up sticking to the back of the hot intake valves impeding airflow and eventually preventing the valves from seating properly.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #72
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
Interested in Elite's take on this article from SuperChevy on the LT4, particularly the text I copied below about the PCV separator. I'm no expert on this which is why I'm asking

A PCV separator, which is unique to the LT4, was developed to keep oily air from being drawn through the intake, where it could end up collecting on the back of the intake valves. A little bit of oil on a port-injected engine can help lubricate valves, but because all Gen 5 V8s are direct injected, there’s no fuel washing the back of the intake valve. That means oil in the PCV system can end up sticking to the back of the hot intake valves impeding airflow and eventually preventing the valves from seating properly.
The PCV valve GM refers to may be unique in shape but it doesn't prevent oil/blow-by from being sucked back into the top side.

And with the way the EPA laws are written, there is really no way around some oil/blow-by getting into the S/C and heads. All catch cans do is eliminate some of that crap from being reintroduced into the intake side of the motor.

I took my S/C lid off at 2K miles and there was a pretty good amount of puddling present throughout the S/C (and even up under the sound dampening panel). If you're even marginally handy with a tool I recommend taking the lid off to see what it looks like. Retightening the lid bolts is 10Nm- not that tight.

3:54 mark,

kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #73
djfury05

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
This was the inside of my supercharger around 4200 miles before the E2-X catch can. Doesn't seem like much but I'm glad I have a catch can on it now.
Attached Images

djfury05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:04 PM   #74
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
Quote:

GM designs their engines for 300K miles. I think there are allot of scare tactics in the forums sometimes to drive sales on things. I could care less if I have to do some cleaning at 50K miles or DI cleaning. This car doesn't drink oil like my CTS-V did so I am not concerned. Also my car has 4K miles on it and my throttle body was dry and didn't see any oil. My gen 2 CTSV would eat a quart every 1K miles and fill up my catch can before it was even time to change the oil. Just my 2 cents, if you are paranoid about it then just buy one, otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about it.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:08 AM   #75
bomariam1

Drives: 2018 ZL1, Cadillac ATS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinms View Post
GM designs their engines for 300K miles. I think there are allot of scare tactics in the forums sometimes to drive sales on things. I could care less if I have to do some cleaning at 50K miles or DI cleaning. This car doesn't drink oil like my CTS-V did so I am not concerned. Also my car has 4K miles on it and my throttle body was dry and didn't see any oil. My gen 2 CTSV would eat a quart every 1K miles and fill up my catch can before it was even time to change the oil. Just my 2 cents, if you are paranoid about it then just buy one, otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Yep I think it's their for some reason.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
bomariam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:57 AM   #76
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I might get flamed for this but I don't really care, lol!! I am probably the only person who is anti catch can. Do they serve a purpose? Sure. Do they do what they were designed to do? Absolutely. But, does your engine need one? Does it improve engine performance, output, longevity, or efficiency? Well I don't think anyone can answer that question with a definitive yes. People can recite the technology behind engines and how this and that does this and that and gunk and build up can hypothetically cause this and that to happen. But that is all just guesswork and fancy schmancy talk for "hey, buy this". LOL!! Of course some of what I say is just tongue in cheek. But we're already seeing LT4s with well over 50K miles and some approaching/dipping into the 100K mile mark and all of these without a catch can and running smoothly. So I'm not seeing the benefit of adding one.

Another thing. Sure there is oil build up in the intake tracts of these engines. But I think people are getting the impression that X amount of oil build up in X amount of miles means that oil will keep building up and building up. It doesn't work that way. Back in the 5th Gen days people started swearing by catch cans. My 2010 SS had around 30K miles when I removed the IM and threw a ported IM on. The stock IM has some build up but it was more like a film covering the inside of the intake. Like if you rubbed you hand across the inside you'd get your fingers a little smudged. That was all. I ran the ported IM for 20K miles before I took it off and sold it and the same thing...nothing but a film covering the inside. And this is back when people were swearing that they were getting oil dripping and the catch can was collecting ounces of oil a week, lol!! I'm not saying they weren't. But there was nothing to indicate that I needed a catch can. Same with every car and engine I had. So for me personally, a catch can has no benefit. It is more of an ooh aah effect. I won't debate someone on it. But if a person asks if they need one, I'd tell them no they don't need one.

Another thing to note is that if it had any impact on engine longevity at all then the manufacturers would build them into the car. We've got Demons with 800+ HP, Redeyes with 797 HP, ZL1s and Z06s with 650 HP, etc. All these cars are built for racing and are designed to run optimally in all temp and weather conditions. All of them that pass government restrictions, pass DMV inspections, and are fully emissions compatible. All of them with extensive warranties and designed to run for 100K miles. Not one of them with a catch can, lol!! If the manufacturers aren't extorting people for it then trust me, there is no reason to buy one.

As far as the voiding of a warranty is concerned. Do I trust GM? Not one single bit. So if I were to get one for free with free installation, then I would most certainly remove it before taking the car in for service.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #77
Sub

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I found another way to increase the supercharger noise to the cabin and not void the warranty. Ok now, dont laugh, but what I did was buy a sound tube for a '17 camaro SS off of ebay, then split it apart it at the diaphragm, yunno the part where it goes to the larger funnel shape. Then I connected it to the firewall like normal (our zl1 has a cap there, but it goes through to the cabin just like the SS. Its one screw there, no mods). Then the other larger end I aimed towards the SC and zip tied it in place.

I didnt modify the engine, it wasnt too expensive, and well shit, it works! I can hear the SC now.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:47 PM   #78
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Here is a car right off the showroom floor with one..

I believe it's not a closed system E2... This is a 8 sec car " all the race teams know that closed system is the best and makes the most power" SMH....

Why would GM use a setup on all copos NA or FI like Mighty Mouse's setup?
Attached Images

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:37 PM   #79
DRGNZ

Drives: Order List for ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I might get flamed for this but I don't really care, lol!! I am probably the only person who is anti catch can. Do they serve a purpose? Sure. Do they do what they were designed to do? Absolutely. But, does your engine need one? Does it improve engine performance, output, longevity, or efficiency? Well I don't think anyone can answer that question with a definitive yes. People can recite the technology behind engines and how this and that does this and that and gunk and build up can hypothetically cause this and that to happen. But that is all just guesswork and fancy schmancy talk for "hey, buy this". LOL!! Of course some of what I say is just tongue in cheek. But we're already seeing LT4s with well over 50K miles and some approaching/dipping into the 100K mile mark and all of these without a catch can and running smoothly. So I'm not seeing the benefit of adding one.

Another thing. Sure there is oil build up in the intake tracts of these engines. But I think people are getting the impression that X amount of oil build up in X amount of miles means that oil will keep building up and building up. It doesn't work that way. Back in the 5th Gen days people started swearing by catch cans. My 2010 SS had around 30K miles when I removed the IM and threw a ported IM on. The stock IM has some build up but it was more like a film covering the inside of the intake. Like if you rubbed you hand across the inside you'd get your fingers a little smudged. That was all. I ran the ported IM for 20K miles before I took it off and sold it and the same thing...nothing but a film covering the inside. And this is back when people were swearing that they were getting oil dripping and the catch can was collecting ounces of oil a week, lol!! I'm not saying they weren't. But there was nothing to indicate that I needed a catch can. Same with every car and engine I had. So for me personally, a catch can has no benefit. It is more of an ooh aah effect. I won't debate someone on it. But if a person asks if they need one, I'd tell them no they don't need one.

Another thing to note is that if it had any impact on engine longevity at all then the manufacturers would build them into the car. We've got Demons with 800+ HP, Redeyes with 797 HP, ZL1s and Z06s with 650 HP, etc. All these cars are built for racing and are designed to run optimally in all temp and weather conditions. All of them that pass government restrictions, pass DMV inspections, and are fully emissions compatible. All of them with extensive warranties and designed to run for 100K miles. Not one of them with a catch can, lol!! If the manufacturers aren't extorting people for it then trust me, there is no reason to buy one.

As far as the voiding of a warranty is concerned. Do I trust GM? Not one single bit. So if I were to get one for free with free installation, then I would most certainly remove it before taking the car in for service.
I agree with you, they are not needed, eye candy at most and we do love eye candy! My builder stated the catch cans are not needed. My .02
Old 08-14-2018, 10:31 PM   #80
bomariam1

Drives: 2018 ZL1, Cadillac ATS-V
sorry I can't help not laughing.

hahahah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub View Post
I found another way to increase the supercharger noise to the cabin and not void the warranty. Ok now, dont laugh, but what I did was buy a sound tube for a '17 camaro SS off of ebay, then split it apart it at the diaphragm, yunno the part where it goes to the larger funnel shape. Then I connected it to the firewall like normal (our zl1 has a cap there, but it goes through to the cabin just like the SS. Its one screw there, no mods). Then the other larger end I aimed towards the SC and zip tied it in place.

I didnt modify the engine, it wasnt too expensive, and well shit, it works! I can hear the SC now.
Sent from my SM-T825 using Tapatalk
bomariam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:04 AM   #81
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRGNZ View Post
I agree with you, they are not needed, eye candy at most and we do love eye candy! My builder stated the catch cans are not needed. My .02
I can't believe someone actually agreed with me, haha!! But yea I don't know how it came about that people actually think our cars need them. I'd use one if I got it for free with free install...maybe. I still have my doubts about whether or not it voids a warranty. And if I void mine then it's gonna be for something a little bit bigger than a catch can.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:13 PM   #82
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post

In my opinion, it is far more likely that catch cans are not installed on cars at the factory because they don't want to sell a car that requires you to drain what is essentially hazardous waste from the engine bay every so often.

The Elite Engineering cans seem to work like they should and do what they advertise. Some car manufacturers are adding port injection to DI engines so they don't have the valve coking issue.

To each his own.

Mark R.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:04 PM   #83
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
In my opinion, it is far more likely that catch cans are not installed on cars at the factory because they don't want to sell a car that requires you to drain what is essentially hazardous waste from the engine bay every so often.

The Elite Engineering cans seem to work like they should and do what they advertise. Some car manufacturers are adding port injection to DI engines so they don't have the valve coking issue.

To each his own.

Mark R.
Albuquerque, NM
No different than changing your own oil. On the flip side, no different than taking it to the dealer to change oil, they can empty the can at the same time because most of these don't fill up before its time to change oil, unless you do heavy track time, in which case they would add that to the track prep part of the manual.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:19 PM   #84
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post

To each his own.

Mark R.
Albuquerque, NM
Oil, power steering fluid, brake fluid, diff fluid, trans fluid, coolant, fuel...all fluids that any person can easily drain on their own. And all fluids that can be dropped off at a municipality waste management center or even Auto Zone or Advance Auto or most mechanic shops. No effort at all. Manufacturers do not install them because they have no impact on engine longevity or efficiency. Sure it keeps the intake tract cleaner. But that is all it does. If you're never taking the intake off or apart ever then youre wasting money.
Quote:
No different than changing your own oil. On the flip side, no different than taking it to the dealer to change oil, they can empty the can at the same time because most of these don't fill up before its time to change oil, unless you do heavy track time, in which case they would add that to the track prep part of the manual.
Yup.