Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-10-2019, 10:30 AM   #1
jcastag

Drives: 2017 Camaro FIFTY 2SS
Cat Back Exhaust Installation "Challenges"

I hope someone can give me some advice...

I am installing my Stainless Works cat back exhaust with NPP and AFM and am having challenges getting the tips to line up.....

I have the right side which sticks out about an inch further than the left. I fully understand the issue it that 1 or more of the pipes is not fully set, but doing this on your back in the driveway is difficult to say the least.

There is very little room to work or ability to get leverage.

Has anyone had this issue and able to provide me with a tip or trick to get this properly aligned?

Help is much appreciated.
jcastag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:19 AM   #2
Wvdirtroads

Drives: Silverado
Make sure all of the clamps from your downpipe back are loose. Install everything including your rubber isolators as you work from the downpipe to the tips. Id only tighten the connection at the downpipe. If you tighten any other clamps before you have everything on and lined up, you will have fitment issues.
Wvdirtroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
I feel your pain, I just did an AWE cat back in the driveway fun indeed. If I were to do it again I would have either dry fit them prior to going under the car or measured the depth of the joints and marked that with a Sharpie on the male sections to ensure full seating. Don't skimp on the de-burring either where you cut the OEM if you did.
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:29 PM   #4
jcastag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior102 View Post
I feel your pain, I just did an AWE cat back in the driveway fun indeed. If I were to do it again I would have either dry fit them prior to going under the car or measured the depth of the joints and marked that with a Sharpie on the male sections to ensure full seating. Don't skimp on the de-burring either where you cut the OEM if you did.
Thankfully no cutting, its cat back so just removed the 2nd cats....

But I think you are on to something because I was thinking the same about putting some of the pieces together first, then putting them onto the car.

If I could stand up under the car with a rubber mallet and block of wood this would be much easier!!!
Old 03-10-2019, 12:31 PM   #5
jcastag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvdirtroads View Post
Make sure all of the clamps from your downpipe back are loose. Install everything including your rubber isolators as you work from the downpipe to the tips. Id only tighten the connection at the downpipe. If you tighten any other clamps before you have everything on and lined up, you will have fitment issues.
All loose, the only thing that is semi tight are the connections at the primary cats so it would not "sway" so much when I was fighting with it lol.

I just think the issue is having no/limited leverage while laying under the car.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:48 PM   #6
Wvdirtroads

Drives: Silverado
One other thing you could try..Vaseline or dish soap on the inserts to aid in slipping things together. Sometimes they bind up and will not move without quite a bit of force.
Wvdirtroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:58 AM   #7
Infamus

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcastag View Post
Thankfully no cutting, its cat back so just removed the 2nd cats....

But I think you are on to something because I was thinking the same about putting some of the pieces together first, then putting them onto the car.

If I could stand up under the car with a rubber mallet and block of wood this would be much easier!!!

dont beat on it... A buddy of mine was having alignment issues installing his Akropovic on his C7 and beat on one of the mufflers. It damaged the NPP actuator, the vibration killed it. When I installed my Akra on my GS I left every thing loose and worked my way back towards the mufflers. Once everything was lined up it tighten it all up... working on your back is a challenge.
Infamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:51 AM   #8
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
Spray some wd40 or penetration oil, that helps sliding the pipes together much much easier.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:25 AM   #9
jcastag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamus View Post
dont beat on it... A buddy of mine was having alignment issues installing his Akropovic on his C7 and beat on one of the mufflers. It damaged the NPP actuator, the vibration killed it. When I installed my Akra on my GS I left every thing loose and worked my way back towards the mufflers. Once everything was lined up it tighten it all up... working on your back is a challenge.
Nah, just a rubber mallet on the pipe ends. Not the tips.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:27 AM   #10
jcastag

So I am still having massive issues getting this thing lined up and installed correctly. I have installed plenty of complete exhaust systems and never had an issue like this.

I installed it once and left the clamps snug while I tried to line everything up, and could not get it right. The right side tips stick out about 1.5" more than the left, and whatever I do I cannot get it to seat any further. I have used a wood block and rubber mallet along the way all the way back.

Left side slip on at cat - seated perfect - slip on

Right side at at - seated perfect - bolt on flange

x pipe - I think its seated all the way, slip on, centered perfect with drive shaft

left intermediate pipe - I think its seated correctly

right intermediate pipte - I think this is where the issue is. I have a feeling this pipe was not "made properly" as it seems longer than the left side, which would cause the exact issue I have. I think this "might be defective"

left muffler pipe - I think this seats correctly, but to line up with the "left" I need to "unseat" a bit

right muffler pipe - again, this is a problem as I think the right intermediate pipe is causing an issue. Sticks out way to far!

Also, the 2.25 clamp does not fit the slip on at the left cat! This is a 2.5" pipe, so I needed to buy one. No big deal but just not acceptable to give the wrong size clamp.

The rear hangers are hitting metal to metal because this system will not seat properly. I am about ready to return this thing as it seems like either a defective part or poor quality control of the entire system.

Overall, I am not very happy with my experience so far with this $2500 exhaust! It should not take multiple attempts and half days work each time to try and install.

I have used the WD40 idea as well to try and lubricate the slip joints for easier installation. No luck.

Any ideas?
Old 03-17-2019, 08:49 AM   #11
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcastag View Post
So I am still having massive issues getting this thing lined up and installed correctly. I have installed plenty of complete exhaust systems and never had an issue like this.

I installed it once and left the clamps snug while I tried to line everything up, and could not get it right. The right side tips stick out about 1.5" more than the left, and whatever I do I cannot get it to seat any further. I have used a wood block and rubber mallet along the way all the way back.

Left side slip on at cat - seated perfect - slip on

Right side at at - seated perfect - bolt on flange

x pipe - I think its seated all the way, slip on, centered perfect with drive shaft

left intermediate pipe - I think its seated correctly

right intermediate pipte - I think this is where the issue is. I have a feeling this pipe was not "made properly" as it seems longer than the left side, which would cause the exact issue I have. I think this "might be defective"

left muffler pipe - I think this seats correctly, but to line up with the "left" I need to "unseat" a bit

right muffler pipe - again, this is a problem as I think the right intermediate pipe is causing an issue. Sticks out way to far!

Also, the 2.25 clamp does not fit the slip on at the left cat! This is a 2.5" pipe, so I needed to buy one. No big deal but just not acceptable to give the wrong size clamp.

The rear hangers are hitting metal to metal because this system will not seat properly. I am about ready to return this thing as it seems like either a defective part or poor quality control of the entire system.

Overall, I am not very happy with my experience so far with this $2500 exhaust! It should not take multiple attempts and half days work each time to try and install.

I have used the WD40 idea as well to try and lubricate the slip joints for easier installation. No luck.

Any ideas?
Man that is a pain. Have you taken the left and right intermediate pipes out to see if the right is longer our to big to seat? You sure need a shop friend with a lift.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #12
jcastag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
Man that is a pain. Have you taken the left and right intermediate pipes out to see if the right is longer our to big to seat? You sure need a shop friend with a lift.
If that means you live in NJ, have a lift, and are offering.. I appreciate it

To be serious though I really feel like I should have spent the extra for Borla now
Old 03-20-2019, 05:10 PM   #13
jcastag

I am honestly at the end of my rope with this exhaust. I really wish I went with Borla or Corsa for the extra money. I have done a ton of these over the years and NEVER had an issue.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:43 AM   #14
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Go back to the basics- double check the part numbers and make sure you got the right system and re-read the instructions. Perhaps you may need to rime one of the pipes. Then check each connection- it seems like one (or more) of the pipes needs to be inserted further into the mating pipe so it does not stick out as far. The more you stick it in, the more resistance there will be as more material is involved. You may need to apply more lube and keep tapping until it sticks in so you get the desired amount of pipe stick out overall. Last resort is cut one or more of the pipes but last resort only. Usually these systems fit pretty well together. I too have done many installs and never had one that did not install properly. I recently did a MBRP on my Fiesta ST and it was a very tight fit- I had to rotate pipes, clamp, un clamp, then clamp again to get the perfect fit. Then I had to slide the tips on and tap them pretty far to get my desired protrusion from the rear valance.