Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-29-2018, 07:54 PM   #1
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
Anyone else feel sorry for non convertible owners?

Driving around today, 70 degrees and sunny. I probably saw a half dozen other camaros...I waived as I always do, but then it hit me, how sad to be a non convertible owner.

Of course, I felt the same thing almost all summer, but today was especially nice.

Anyone else have the same feelings?

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:01 PM   #2
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
I'll give your post a free bump so you're fellow vert owners can chime in.

I feel no sorrow not having a convertible. I don't like the sun and wind beating on me. The convertible top almost always ruins the lines of the car as well.

There - that should get everyone fired up. Carry on.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:23 PM   #3
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
I'll give your post a free bump so you're fellow vert owners can chime in.

I feel no sorrow not having a convertible. I don't like the sun and wind beating on me. The convertible top almost always ruins the lines of the car as well.

There - that should get everyone fired up. Carry on.
It's a rare day when I don't get a thumbs up or several love your car or nice car when cruising around with the top down....much more attention than I ever got in my red hot coupe.....Trust me the lines are just fine!!!
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:30 PM   #4
Ataru074

Drives: '17 2SS Convertible
I'm new in the camaro crew, but not new to convertibles.
The look it's debatable, mostly because individual taste are different. I love how the boxter look compared to the cayman, my E46 bmw convertible did look better than the sedan, imho and was on par with the coupe, the Z4, with the metal top had the best of both worlds. I think the camaro convertible looks good enough, but I'm biased, I got one.

Unless I'm going to track a car, in that case I would have gone for a 1LE, I rather enjoy the sky every day of the week. Loud and noisy? Not an issue, this is not a Benz.
Ataru074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:42 PM   #5
Drsagacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataru074 View Post
I'm new in the camaro crew, but not new to convertibles.
The look it's debatable, mostly because individual taste are different. I love how the boxter look compared to the cayman, my E46 bmw convertible did look better than the sedan, imho and was on par with the coupe, the Z4, with the metal top had the best of both worlds. I think the camaro convertible looks good enough, but I'm biased, I got one.

Unless I'm going to track a car, in that case I would have gone for a 1LE, I rather enjoy the sky every day of the week. Loud and noisy? Not an issue, this is not a Benz.
If anyone questions the lines, it’s only because the top isn’t down (and who drives in weather where the top isnt down). Better visibility, better lines, no wind problems sitting in front, life is good.

@chazzz, Same experience...I very rarely have the ride out where someone doesn’t comment.

I have gone back and forth, Vert and non-Vert. Nothing compares to the vert. If you dont feel like sun for a bit, keep the top up...but when you change your mind, slow to a bit lower the top and keep going. I forgot my sun glasses one day last week, so it can happen.

@asdan I am happy you like the coupe. I would still feel sorry for you if I drove by on a day like today.

TBD performance

Last edited by Drsagacity; 09-29-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:45 PM   #6
Scraps0f

Drives: 2018 NGM ZL1
My brother's 1ss convertible in HBM gets more love from people than my ZL1 coupe in NGM. I think it's just how nice the blue is, but I know I am just lying to myself. I must say our cars look amazing topless.
Scraps0f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:22 PM   #7
aland12345

Drives: 2016 Bright Yellow Camaro vert
Well I haven't owned a tin top since 2000. The air in front is relatively calm top down compare to many verts. You can't beat the lines with the top down. Top up still looks great. Any one wanna talk visibility.... The Camaro top is so well insulated. The sound is hardly an issue. I very seldom have passengers in back as all my children and friends have legs, so that's another non issue. The wife and I did a road trip to Yellowstone, The Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole for the great eclipse last year. Cruising through the national parks top down at 30-45 miles an hour is so enjoyable. Kinda neat when you walk back to car from Old Faithful and find Oriental tourist taking pictures of you Camaro in the parking lot...This summer was the Grand Canyon, Williams and Winslow AZ. You come out of a restaurant see a family with kids standing looking at the car. Mine is Yellow with back stripes, Wife smiles when we drive by a school and the kids yell Bumble Bee. As a primary car probably not the most practical (but is doable) but for a 2nd car you just can't beat a convertible
aland12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:05 AM   #8
Tyl3r

Drives: Camaro 2LT
Sorry, I don't like the sun and wind in my face when driving. I enjoy the enhanced safety of a non-convertible. I don't need extra weight added to my Camaro to prevent it from flipping. And I enjoy the cost savings.
Tyl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:31 AM   #9
Silverwing

Drives: Yellow 2018 SS
I actually rented a vert so I can try it out after buying the coupe to see if I was missing anything.

And while driving by the beach at under 25 is great and all, driving over 30 throws all kinds of dust and crap in my face, I have the sun beating down on me at red lights, sweating in my seat, I can't hear my music over the sound of other cars and wind. And god help me when I went on the highway, I was fighting insects and dust from the road being kicked up all over my face.

If I ever bought a vert it would definitely be a weekend only car, no way in hell I could daily a vert, just too many obstacles, but that's just my 2 cents.

I'm sure verts are great in the right scenarios and people, it's just not for me.
Silverwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:48 AM   #10
Airfuel

Drives: '19 2SS M6.
No way! Messes my hair up!
Airfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:20 PM   #11
Drsagacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwing View Post
I actually rented a vert so I can try it out after buying the coupe to see if I was missing anything.

And while driving by the beach at under 25 is great and all, driving over 30 throws all kinds of dust and crap in my face, I have the sun beating down on me at red lights, sweating in my seat, I can't hear my music over the sound of other cars and wind. And god help me when I went on the highway, I was fighting insects and dust from the road being kicked up all over my face.

If I ever bought a vert it would definitely be a weekend only car, no way in hell I could daily a vert, just too many obstacles, but that's just my 2 cents.

I'm sure verts are great in the right scenarios and people, it's just not for me.
I would love to see how bugs, dust or anything happen to hit your face when driving. In fact if you have 30 mile per hour winds which are thrown up and over the top of the driver seat so the front seat gets very little wind...buffeting can happen as it swirls from the back to the front..I would love to know how insects made it through the wind tunnel...must have been a ton of bugs.

I was driving on the hwy today talking on Bluetooth....so, it’s safe to say, your experience is unique. If you can’t hear the radio, it’s not loud enough. If you can hear other cars then either:

a. your car isn’t fast enough or
b. your music isn’t loud enough.

I generally have to turn my music down so that I can hear my own car (since it’s bad ass). Driving around town with top off talking on Bluetooth is clear for both sides, which means your impression of noise is interesting.

You are right about the hot sun at a stoplight. That is definitely a first world problem and the struggle is real. Fortunately, we have the tools to address the problem built in. If it’s hot outside, you turn the ac and seat cooler on. If it’s getting cold, heater and seat heater.

If I were daily driving the car, I might agree with you. . .but I don’t...and I didn’t ask if vert owners felt sorry for coupe owners in crappy weather.

TBD performance
Old 10-01-2018, 08:29 PM   #12
Drsagacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyl3r View Post
Sorry, I don't like the sun and wind in my face when driving. I enjoy the enhanced safety of a non-convertible. I don't need extra weight added to my Camaro to prevent it from flipping. And I enjoy the cost savings.
Solid reasoning from the non-Vert owner.

I would not advise flipping your car. Seems like a bad strategy...coupe or convertible. The added weight does suck for the track because to make a 9second pass, we will probably need 750-800whp compared to 700whp of the coupe.

Cost savings is a big one. I can’t deny. . .verts are quite a bit more money expensive.

TBD performance
Old 10-01-2018, 08:39 PM   #13
Drsagacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfuel View Post
No way! Messes my hair up!
If I had hair...maybe a concern. My wife does wear a hat for rides in the vert.

TBD performance
Old 10-01-2018, 09:05 PM   #14
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwing View Post

In over a year of daily driving my 2 Camaro convertibles, including many long top down highway road trips, I can honestly say that I have yet to have a bug, dust, or anything else hit my face..... What I do get hit with constantly is I love your car, nice car, and thumbs ups!!!!
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote