#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-01-2018, 09:09 PM   #1
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Spring and strut/shock package that makes a real difference

So it appears only GM offers a package unless you go with coilovers like KW for $2200. I wish there was some proof of what actual performance gains to expect with this GM kit. I see quite a few spring sets, but none paired with shocks. I'm really pretty happy with how mine rides and handles, even on track, but I would like it about 1" lower. I've just never heard of installing shorter springs with higher rates using stock shocks. I can't believe Renick/Swift is asking over $500 for a set of their springs.
I'm not in my 20's anymore and no longer have free time to constantly adjust and try different settings and ride heights offered with coilovers. I think that would drive me nuts.
This is the GM package I'm looking at http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Gen-...26-P51591.aspx

Last edited by Redlinez; 03-01-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:22 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
im guessing you have non magride? lol if so powell racing yyz springs and koni yellow or bilstein shocks if and when they ever come out will be the ticket

for the $$ and how much the gm kit lowers your car its not worth it
Old 03-02-2018, 05:33 PM   #3
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Yep, Non magneride. I've been watching those YYZ springs forever as I loved my Hypercos in the past. I guess I could go with them and Bilsteins.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:47 PM   #4
kropscamaro16

i already have a test set on my car and they are so much better than 99% of lowering springs out there...cant believe koni and bilstein still dont have anything out for our cars its been over 2 years!!
Old 03-04-2018, 09:36 AM   #5
Believe it

Drives: Camaro SS. 2001 Z3 M coupe
It always amazes me hoe people judge something they have
never experienced. I had the GM kit installed shortly after purchase. I have had electronic dampening systems before, and opted out for simplicity. I trust the Camaro engineers, as the base vehicle is a pretty awesome package. I had 3 dealerships quote the package installed and got it all in for the cost of the parts. The stance is aggressive. I highly recommend the upgraded sways as it really ties the system together, feels like a slot car
Believe it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:10 PM   #6
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i already have a test set on my car and they are so much better than 99% of lowering springs out there...cant believe koni and bilstein still dont have anything out for our cars its been over 2 years!!
What makes them better, in your eyes?
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #7
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Quote:
Originally Posted by Believe it View Post
It always amazes me hoe people judge something they have
never experienced. I had the GM kit installed shortly after purchase. I have had electronic dampening systems before, and opted out for simplicity. I trust the Camaro engineers, as the base vehicle is a pretty awesome package. I had 3 dealerships quote the package installed and got it all in for the cost of the parts. The stance is aggressive. I highly recommend the upgraded sways as it really ties the system together, feels like a slot car
The internet is full of this. Then you also get the "it rides better than stock" comments from young guys who don't think slammed Honda Civics ride bad. I used to think that way. Then I got older..... I would definitely install mine myself as I have access to lifts. So you ended up paying about $2400 total?
Old 03-05-2018, 03:13 PM   #8
Believe it

Drives: Camaro SS. 2001 Z3 M coupe
OP, I promise this will end up on topic. I came here from BMW, I had the first M2 in SC, and after 4 towing incidents in 4500 miles, I gave it back to the dealer and after research, bought the 2016 2SS, which is the best engineered driver's car for the money, by far. Cadillac aluminum platform, corvette engine, essentially plumbed for racing. I drove several iterations including one with the performance package, which was a $4k option with the suspension lowering kit, and a bunch of embroidered doodads, but the ride suited me, and as I live in the south, roads are mostly flat and smooth. Certain dealerships and parts guys have relationships with the GM parts suppliers, and some service departments are more competitive. I believe msrp was around $1400 for the kit, and I paid right at $1500 installed. The sways did not come out for about a year, I got them last December, msrp around $350, I paid $450 installed. The only drawback is how much it emphasizes the mediocre handling of the stock tires, but this system is tight, but go easy on the railroad tracks. I know many on here look to add power, and I get it, but also do something to get that power down and controlled, and the same engineers that gave you this great car, gave you this option. I changed service groups btw, when I had the A8 lines switched per TSB, they did not torque the rack to spec, and the service department told me because it was lowered, I needed a shorter steering column!
Believe it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #9
Redlinez
Shifts under load

I need to come to that dealership!! I guess they are being fair. I can get the shocks/springs/bars for $1366. I may be doing a HPDE event at Roebling Road in Savannah April 21-22. It's through Justtrackit, you should check it out. They are one heckuva great group.

Last edited by Redlinez; 03-05-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:55 PM   #10
Redlinez
Shifts under load

I'm not sure which one of the first two sway bar kits listed here is the one. The 2nd one lists as FE4, which is what GM calls the 1LE suspension. http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Sway...nts-C1263.aspx
Old 03-05-2018, 07:40 PM   #11
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Believe it View Post
the service department told me because it was lowered, I needed a shorter steering column!
That's funny, run don't walk, from these guys
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:28 PM   #12
kropscamaro16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
What makes them better, in your eyes?
sorry missed this but he has proven his parts in the racing world and with my old car and has also spend thousands of dollars to test the competition as well as oem gm kits including the dssv kit and knows these springs are the awesome sauce . He is also working with bilstein on a shock setup that will work better with these springs for the non mrc guys like me
Old 03-31-2018, 04:22 PM   #13
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
There's several threads on the SS lowering kit (springs/shocks-84188726) + handling kit (swaybars/front links-84242386). Below are a few, but you could search for "GM lowering kit" or "SC3" to find more on the forum.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494423
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512278
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514189
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497133

The GM parts catalog now advertises a lap time improvement with this specific combo (assuming it's on the SS) of 1.6s per lap at Milford proving grounds autocross course. See page 24 in this PDF.

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...catalog-v2.pdf

That combo and the 1LE wheel/tire combo would be a pretty sweet "budget" option. Sort of like a SS 1LE lite for us non-MRC guys.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:43 PM   #14
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Lots of invalid pages for those kits now. I will be considering the GM spring and shock set but am waiting on some other options.