Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-20-2019, 08:41 PM   #15
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
It's becoming a bit more clear why GM either has the Camaro on hiatus, delayed or dropped after 2023. With the C8 priced right in the ZL1, GT350/500, Hellcat range and yet offers something well above any of their performance capabilities, it's going to pull in a lot of those current owners/shoppers. And that's before the C8 gets into performance models and electric hybrid that is certain to come.
You hit the nail on the head.

GM is throwing down a major wildcard to stir up the entire market. So much so that it will inevitably cannibalize Camaro sales, granted the price difference between a 2SS and base C8 will actually not be that much. There will definitely be some people defecting from Corvette to Camaro, but I don't think it will be nearly as much defecting from Camaro to Corvette. For that matter, I think people will also throw any semblance of "brand loyalty" out the window if they were in the market for the pricier Challenger and Mustang trims.

If I were GM, I'd fully agree that now is a good time to halt plans for a 7th gen Camaro if nothing else to see what the market does. Meanwhile, Mustang is now in a totally different predicament because Ford's next car up is the GT which is a limited production vehicle easily costing 10x the price of even the performance trims, and as such, it makes total sense for Ford to continue selling and developing it.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:44 PM   #16
Zee_Ohh

Drives: truck
My personal opinion is that the c8 has had a hand at gm putting the camaro development on hold. They are going to double production of the corvette. So 40,000 units a year. They know there wont be an american made sports car that will compete with it for a significant amount of time, including a potentially new camaro. So why go through the r&d to build a camaro that has similar performance to the current one and would likely have similar or worse sale figures?

As a business standpoint a manual trans doesnt make sense considering the tanking sale figures. No matter how many people come on here saying "I wont buy an automatic" that's super small fries and they obviously aren't concerned with that now and I would assume that in five to 7 years when the c8 is getting to the end of its life cycle they will care even less. It sucks, I get that. I too love rowing gears but from a X's and O's standpoint I see why things are the way they are.
Zee_Ohh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:55 PM   #17
Craig

Drives: '01 Z28
Been very long planning to buy a new Camaro 6 months from now. Now on a dime I’m looking at waiting another 18-24 months until low mileage used C8’s start popping up. There is NO WAY I will be happy buying a Camaro now. My world has turned upside down.

2LT package for C7 is 4450, Z51 is 5000 but I expect GM will be jacking up option prices to keep the base price this low. What is being offered for 3000 more than a base C7 is almost beyond belief. You’ll definitely get into a 1LT with MRC and NPP for under 70. A 1LT Z51 coming in at the same price as a base GT500 is a sad, sad day for Ford pride. An optioned GT500 OTD with dealer markup will put you into a loaded C8 with money to spare. The Ford will have a few tenths at the strip and any comparison of the two cars beyond that is a joke.

Last edited by Craig; 07-20-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:21 PM   #18
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
for the past few decades the absolute high point for Corvette sales has been 30-35k. It's not as if the C7 is some ancient car. The C8 is moving up another 4k probably for the base price. I don't buy it hitting Camaro sales. All i hear on the forum is the Camaro SS is too expensive and the backseat is too small and now you're telling me the Corvette is going to drain it's sales?
Old 07-20-2019, 09:45 PM   #19
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
All i hear on the forum is the Camaro SS is too expensive and the backseat is too small and now you're telling me the Corvette is going to drain it's sales?
The question comes down to whether people want a $40k+ Camaro 2SS with a small and nearly unusable back seat or would they want a C8 Corvette for a $10-$15k more that decimates it performance-wise but has no back seat?

I don't think many people are buying the Camaro for practicality. Practicality is a huge complaint against the 6th gen.

And even if all things were somehow totally equal apart from looks, people would flock to the C8. I understand it's not everybody's cup of tea, but the thing is a *midengine supercar* for Pete's sake. Compared to a 6th Gen Camaro which is basically a tweak of the 5th gen's design, a car that's been on the road for a decade now, for a lot of people the cool factor is orders of magnitude apart for a C8 vs 6th Gen Camaro.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:36 PM   #20
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanniz View Post
The C8 Corvette, will not only hurt Camaro sales, but many others. It’s going to be a fantastic car
I don't think it's going to hurt sales as badly for Chevrolet and Ford as it is for Porsche and others. The reason I didn't get a C7 is the lack of practicality. Great car for driving, but not a whole lot else. Cars like the camaro, mustang, supra, etc., have far more usable space. It's not that we are taking passengers everywhere, but we have enough room for stuff, like when I took my side-skirts home in the box they came in by putting down the rear seats. In a lot of cases, the C8 is the "wow" car to bring people into the dealership IMO, but they don't necessarily walk out with it.

But by all accounts, it looks like Chevrolet did their homework. The BMW forum I frequent is just going mad over this (in a mostly good way).

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:51 PM   #21
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
$60k is soooo much money. With no trade, i think that’s a $900 monthly payment, yikes!
I 100% got the camaro for the back seat. Not only does my son fit back there, he actually has extra room. In 10 years or so he may not, but by then he’ll be too cool to hang with me anyway. I also love that my car is the perfect blend of muscle and sports.
No C for me.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:19 PM   #22
DC5

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
I previously intended to keep my Camaro for a very long time, but the C8 has unquestionably changed that intention. I want a C8 so badly, and I believe I'm one of many Camaro owners who will be upgrading to a new Corvette in the near future.
DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:50 PM   #23
Larrio Andretti

Drives: Really Fast
Let’s say the C8 Corvette base price will be $59,995 dollars. Add in $900 destination charge. Gas guzzler tax whatever that may be. Add in all the most likely options and your going to be at $70-75k. Add another $5,000 for sales tax and your at $75-80k. Still a bargain but above the means of someone who is currently driving any model below a ZL1.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:06 AM   #24
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post
Corvette buyers weren't getting Camaros before... and they aren't going to start now.

Will there be some that are stuck on having a stick shift that opt to get a Camaro instead? I"m gonna go with NO. Not with the Camaro supposedly dying soon. They'd take one of the actual Corvette competitors instead.

Are Camaro buyers going to jump to Corvette?
Not really.

There's 2 reasons people that want a Corvette buy a Camaro instead.
1. To have back seats
2. The Corvette costs too much for them.

Neither of those will change with the C8.

The C8 will steal sales from it's competitors, and the amount it steals from the Camaro will be too small to even be noteworthy.... Much like the amount of Corvette buyers that are going to opt for a Camaro instead..... and those that do, would likely be going for the ZL1 rather than the regular SS or SS 1LE
I sold my C5 Corvette and bought my GEN6 SS. I’m thinking in a few years buying a C8. I have a few friends that have gone from Corvettes to Camaro. So your logic doesn’t hold on that one.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:18 AM   #25
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
I think the Z51 will surpass the ZL1 but you won't be getting it at $60k ,maybe $72k . I think at under $60k won't even get you a spoiler on the back of the Stingray. I haven't seen the 0 to 60 on the non Z51 Stingray yet but i would bet its not far off the ZL1 . Wait till the higher performance models come out and see where they are priced .
Will be interesting to see how the pricing breaks out and how far under $60,000 is the actual price. Also I will be surprised if the Z51 package jumps the car $13,000 to $72,000. The current Z51 package is only a $5,000 add.

I watched a good YouTube a few months back with some retired Corvette employees that said the mid engine was only going to be about a 3% to 5% increase over the current C7, this would include each upgraded model on pricing. ( they were correct so far)
Will be interesting to see if that is the case on the GS and ZR1.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:33 AM   #26
The_DarkKnight

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
it will kill ZL1 sales, for less money essentially a supercar, most people never use the back seats, if you have kids likely you can't afford the ZL1 anyway. SS sales get hurt too, a bit of a stretch gets you a vette. The Corvette will have stronger resale value, this is why GM is killing the Camaro, SS and ZL1 buyers might buy a Corvette, 6 cyl Camaro buyers, buy a crossover instead. For everybody who says" Im gonna buy one it'll b a classic", yeah right just like the 78 Corvette pace car, and there are 100 people who would rather have the Vette and think the Camaro is dead
The_DarkKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:35 AM   #27
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrio Andretti View Post
Let’s say the C8 Corvette base price will be $59,995 dollars. Add in $900 destination charge. Gas guzzler tax whatever that may be. Add in all the most likely options and your going to be at $70-75k. Add another $5,000 for sales tax and your at $75-80k. Still a bargain but above the means of someone who is currently driving any model below a ZL1.
You can lose the gas guzzler tax it’s a upgraded LT1, my last Corvette averaged 21mpg in town and 32mpg on the highway my buddies C7 gets 34mpg on trips I bet the C8 will get as good or better.

$59,900.00 plus $900.00 plus tax. My 2017 2SS listed for almost $50,000.00 so it’s not that far of a stretch for me. Plus give them a year and discount will be around.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:16 AM   #28
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
You can lose the gas guzzler tax it’s a upgraded LT1, my last Corvette averaged 21mpg in town and 32mpg on the highway my buddies C7 gets 34mpg on trips I bet the C8 will get as good or better.

$59,900.00 plus $900.00 plus tax. My 2017 2SS listed for almost $50,000.00 so it’s not that far of a stretch for me. Plus give them a year and discount will be around.

And don't forget people drop 70K on trucks these days like it's nothing.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote