Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-26-2019, 11:38 AM   #1
jcsuddre

Drives: 2016 black 2 ss
What could this be ?

I pulled out of the driveway this morning and when I returned a hour later I noticed this big puddle of oil (I think) . The car seems to run fine I haven’t noticed anything different . I checked my oil and it doesn’t reach the cross hatch on the dipstick . I looked under the car and i am able to see the oil filter but I don’t see anything leaking from it . My engine oil light does not come on when driving either . My car was the only one parked there overnight and it definitely wasn’t there last night when I parked it . 😫😫
Attached Images

jcsuddre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #2
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
was your A/C on? almost looks like water touching an old oil spot bringing up that color.. but hard to tell. smell it
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #3
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Looks like oil to me...did you recently change or have your oil changed?

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #4
jcsuddre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3BOOSTED View Post
was your A/C on? almost looks like water touching an old oil spot bringing up that color.. but hard to tell. smell it
No I didn’t and I touched it and it is definitely fresh oil there is a trail that leads from the driveway to that puddle on the carport . 😞 . I had a similar problem with my 2014 ss but they eventually discovered it was a blown head gasket I’m hoping that isn’t the case here .
Old 03-26-2019, 11:59 AM   #5
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsuddre View Post
I pulled out of the driveway this morning and when I returned a hour later I noticed this big puddle of oil (I think) . The car seems to run fine I haven’t noticed anything different . I checked my oil and it doesn’t reach the cross hatch on the dipstick . I looked under the car and i am able to see the oil filter but I don’t see anything leaking from it . My engine oil light does not come on when driving either . My car was the only one parked there overnight and it definitely wasn’t there last night when I parked it . 😫😫
Run it somewhere with a lift and just say you want them to check for an oil leak. That much fluid under a car that hasn't moved overnight would be a huge concern.

They should be able to tell you pretty quick if it was your car. That much fluid would leave an obvious trail.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:59 AM   #6
jcsuddre

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
Looks like oil to me...did you recently change or have your oil changed?
No I’m actually due for one in a few hundred miles
Old 03-26-2019, 12:00 PM   #7
jcsuddre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
Run it somewhere with a lift and just say you want them to check for an oil leak. That much fluid under a car that hasn't moved overnight would be a huge concern.

They should be able to tell you pretty quick if it was your car. That much fluid would leave an obvious trail.
Yeah there was a trail from where I pulled into the driveway .
Old 03-26-2019, 12:20 PM   #8
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Put a piece of cardboard under your car for a few hours and then go pull it back form under it and look and see if it is oil, water or both or nothing. If it is leaking oil you will need a lift to look and see where.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:52 PM   #9
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3BOOSTED View Post
was your A/C on? almost looks like water touching an old oil spot bringing up that color...
Agree, this looks like an oil/water mix. I would probably put some paper towels under there. Be nice to know if you are getting a dexcool/oil mix. I don't see orange in your photo.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:50 PM   #10
jcsuddre

So I took it to a local mechanic and it appears the bolts and seals in the oil cooler are bad . It was literally loose enough to almost fall out lol . How does this happen?
Old 03-26-2019, 08:27 PM   #11
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Should be under warranty? I would hope that's water from the air conditioner laying on top. I would assume the cooling system is OK since it was a dedicated oil cooler and not a combo unit.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:14 PM   #12
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
its a 16 they had lots of assembly problems.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote