Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-07-2019, 02:43 PM   #1
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
How's your SS holding up to cooler temps?

Chilly and Rainy here in Austin. The SS slid out from under me twice while doing between 25 - 35 MPH in a straight line just casually accelerating from a stoplight. It started feeling like it was uncertain about its grip and just lightly pedaling ...whoopty do sideways she goes. Scared the piss out of the car tailgating me. They slowed down and left like a 5 car gap between me and them. Guess that's one way to send a message to tailgaters.
Need4Camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
Parked mine last week for the Winter as the temps here in the Cleveland, Ohio area are very chilly. Upper 40s and rain last Thursday and she was all over the place. The countdown to May is on...
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:50 PM   #3
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Summer tires don’t do well under 40 and rain.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:58 PM   #4
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
Get some snow tires or good all season tires
Old 11-07-2019, 03:04 PM   #5
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets12 View Post
Get some snow tires or good all season tires
Yeah I really need to do this. Thinking of getting 1LE wheels with summer tires on them and stock wheels with all seasons on them.
Need4Camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:13 PM   #6
BluinSC

Drives: BVM 1SS
No problems in the rain with the DWS 06 Contis...
BluinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:13 PM   #7
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Chilly and Rainy here in Austin. The SS slid out from under me twice while doing between 25 - 35 MPH in a straight line just casually accelerating from a stoplight. It started feeling like it was uncertain about its grip and just lightly pedaling ...whoopty do sideways she goes. Scared the piss out of the car tailgating me. They slowed down and left like a 5 car gap between me and them. Guess that's one way to send a message to tailgaters.
I'm in the Atlanta area. I got through the winter last year OK on the OEM tires. This summer I replaced them with the same type using the USAA discount and getting all four for under $900 installed. Once the cold snap hits I switch my screen to show tire temp/tire pressure and toggle back in forth.

My experience has been that if I start from my garage with temps 40 and above I'm going to maintain normal temp (green) pretty much all day, though if I leave it parked in the parking lot at work they may register as Cool (blue) for the first 5-10 miles then warm up to normal again.

When temps are below 40 but above 30 I typically start out with normal temps indicated, drop down to cool, then may or may not warm back up to normal.

If it's below 30 I don't drive the Camaro.

If it's wet with standing water I don't go above 50 or do any hard pulls. If it's just damp I watch for standing water and don't do hard pulls, but other than that proceed as usual.

It's not that hard. I've only seen white (cold) twice in three years.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:19 PM   #8
Salslivers

Drives: 2019 2SS Black
Sadly stored her for the winter last weekend. Even sadder is we have 10-15 centimeters of snow in the forecast for tomorrow (3-5 inches).
Salslivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:20 PM   #9
metalhead79
Yep...

Drives: 2019 1SS - sold
Temps are getting pretty iffy in the mornings for the summers tires my SS came with here in Colorado. I'm planning on getting some all seasons on Black Friday.

That being said, I haven't had any issues driving to work in 30 degree weather. *knock on wood*
I have not driven on cold, wet roads yet and don't plan to until I switch over to all seasons - I have a CX-5 for those days.
metalhead79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:01 PM   #10
ARCamaroGuy

Drives: 2023 GMC 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
I'm in the Atlanta area. I got through the winter last year OK on the OEM tires. This summer I replaced them with the same type using the USAA discount and getting all four for under $900 installed. Once the cold snap hits I switch my screen to show tire temp/tire pressure and toggle back in forth.

My experience has been that if I start from my garage with temps 40 and above I'm going to maintain normal temp (green) pretty much all day, though if I leave it parked in the parking lot at work they may register as Cool (blue) for the first 5-10 miles then warm up to normal again.

When temps are below 40 but above 30 I typically start out with normal temps indicated, drop down to cool, then may or may not warm back up to normal.

If it's below 30 I don't drive the Camaro.

If it's wet with standing water I don't go above 50 or do any hard pulls. If it's just damp I watch for standing water and don't do hard pulls, but other than that proceed as usual.

It's not that hard. I've only seen white (cold) twice in three years.
I have USAA and I would LOVE to know what discount you used if you care to DM the info

As for my car, it drives fine with temps in the 30's but even a light rain with temps in the 50's/60's and I lose traction pretty easily. I have an old Santa Fe that I drive on rainy days.
Traded Feb 2022 for a C7
ARCamaroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:07 PM   #11
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Swapped the PS4S's for the Blizzaks a couple days ago since it's supposed to drop into the 20's tomorrow night. Ride sure gets more comfy with 18 inch wheels than on the OEM 20" wheels, but driving home in the rain tonight I was reminded that my right foot is still calibrated for the summer tires - the Blizzaks broke traction without me meaning to pretty often.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:12 PM   #12
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
not to be a jerk, but I was just cruising in mine top down in northern CA and it's close to 70 today!!
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:41 PM   #13
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCamaroGuy View Post
I have USAA and I would LOVE to know what discount you used if you care to DM the info

As for my car, it drives fine with temps in the 30's but even a light rain with temps in the 50's/60's and I lose traction pretty easily. I have an old Santa Fe that I drive on rainy days.
I’ll put it here in case anyone else wants the info.

Either log in from pc/laptop/tablet or phone app. Click on “My Vehicles” if your car is registered in your profile the first thing you see should be Goodyear Special Offer 25% Off.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:08 PM   #14
huiez

Drives: 2019 1SS M6 NPP
Get you some Michelin pilot sport as/3 and enjoy your ss all winter. Highly recommended.
huiez is offline   Reply With Quote