Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-05-2019, 04:49 PM   #1
Alvin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
This dealership broke my car and voided my warranty

My 1ss was having a simple problem that if I put in park and my dash would show “put in park required”. So, I made an appointment today and took my car to the closest Chevy dealership. They took my car out for a ride for some reason and I’ve waited about 1 and half hour. After that, there was a nerd staff came and talked to me. He said my msd 2 step broke everything and my warranty is voided. I asked him to at least prove me something that showed my modification which will effect the car. He kept talking to me with the worst attitude. Then I chose to leave. When I just made a left turn right outside the dealership, I figured out my exhaust tone was way different. (Sounds like resonated rumble) I thought that was my illusion. But I did went to the backroad near my house. I gave a bit gas and I can definitely tell my exhaust tone was 100% different. After I got home, I saw that was iron things left on my exhaust tip. I called them, they said because my warranty is voided now, they do not have responsibility to take this.
my conclusion, 1)Chevy took my car for a joy ride, 2)held my 2 step until my cat blown 3) voided my warranty, bad attitude when talking to customer.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:51 PM   #2
Alvin

Parks Chevrolet Huntersville 28078 North Carolina, Nerd man : Thomas Fox
Old 11-05-2019, 05:14 PM   #3
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
A msd 2 step hooked up to the stock ignition would void the warranty
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:19 PM   #4
ArmanSS

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS VERT
The warranty may be voided due to the msd, but you have a case against them in that they inflicted additional damage unrelated to this. They did in fact accept liability by allowing your car into their shop and driving it. It may be a tricky battle, but I believe your next step should be contacting Chevy corporate if the management at the dealership refuses to help you.
ArmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:30 PM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
I’d be surprised if the cats failed on a stock LT1... normally you have to run close to 1k hp to melt them.

Alvin, in the other thread you talked about modifying the exhaust for sound (muffler delete) and noted that it sounded different below 4k at light throttle (for which my first thought is AFM).

Can you see for sure your cats are gone? Did you take pics of the bits in your tailpipe? Cat material is very obvious. If you did the muffler delete then it should be fairly easy for someone with a borescope to check the cats or at least see as far as the AFM valves....?
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:43 PM   #6
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Damn I'm sorry man. I am always hesitant to leave any of my sports cars with anyone, hell I get paranoid with my truck at the dealer. I took it in for an oil change (the free ones) and watch them ****ers on my dash cam leaning all over the fender. They left a couple scratches because they didn't use fender covers.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:14 PM   #7
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
I skipped the two free oil changes. Did it myself. Car is still as nice as it came from the factory as a result!
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:16 PM   #8
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
I'm having a really hard time understanding what is going on in the first post but I'm betting there is more to this story. Is this a English your primary language?
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:23 PM   #9
Alvin

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
I’d be surprised if the cats failed on a stock LT1... normally you have to run close to 1k hp to melt them.

Alvin, in the other thread you talked about modifying the exhaust for sound (muffler delete) and noted that it sounded different below 4k at light throttle (for which my first thought is AFM).

Can you see for sure your cats are gone? Did you take pics of the bits in your tailpipe? Cat material is very obvious. If you did the muffler delete then it should be fairly easy for someone with a borescope to check the cats or at least see as far as the AFM valves....?

First of all, thank you for all the commends who spent time to read my story. The only thing I did it to the AFM was the fuse (pulled fuse). I will check my cat asap, but I can tell my car got another exhaust tone and smell. I 2 steps for fun sometimes, but I would never hold it for too long because of the stock cat. The dealership must be playing with my 2step and blown it. The warranty is not a big deal for me, normally I won't keep my car for more than 4 years. The only thing that made me mad was the dealership. They had fun with my 2step, blown my cat and talked to me with an unrespectful attitude. So in my opinion, people whoever read this thread, avoid that dealership.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:26 PM   #10
Alvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
I'm having a really hard time understanding what is going on in the first post but I'm betting there is more to this story. Is this a English your primary language?

English is not my primary language, I am still picking it up. Sorry for wasting your time to try to understand my story, but thank you.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:33 PM   #11
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
English is not my primary language, I am still picking it up. Sorry for wasting your time to try to understand my story, but thank you.
I didn't mean to offend anyone I just wasn't sure if it was a rushed post on a phone.

Sorry about the luck, maybe remove the 2 step and try another dealership?

Also, your English is certainly better than I can do with any other language so props to you.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:25 PM   #12
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Well, it's a bad situation. You will have a very hard time getting the dealership to take the hit if the cats are blown. How many miles did they put on the car?

The deal is, even if they did drive it, I would really doubt they did anything you haven't done a hundred times. They could very easily argue that the cat was already done before they got it, which, of course, could be a possibility.

As far as their attitude, yeah, they could've done that differently perhaps. However, misinterpreting the Magnussen Moss act to them probably didn't help either. The 2 step will void the warranty. That's the simple price of playing the modification game.

The lesson to be learned is to not take a modified car to a dealership, unless, you have a specific tech who is well versed in your modifications. Even then, don't expect warranty coverage. If your car is modified any further than exhaust and air intake, take it to a performance shop that understands the modification.

If warranty coverage is important, then leave the car as it left the assembly line, because that is what the warranty covers.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:07 AM   #13
Reddy1LE

Drives: 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Well, it's a bad situation. You will have a very hard time getting the dealership to take the hit if the cats are blown. How many miles did they put on the car?

The deal is, even if they did drive it, I would really doubt they did anything you haven't done a hundred times. They could very easily argue that the cat was already done before they got it, which, of course, could be a possibility.

As far as their attitude, yeah, they could've done that differently perhaps. However, misinterpreting the Magnussen Moss act to them probably didn't help either. The 2 step will void the warranty. That's the simple price of playing the modification game.

The lesson to be learned is to not take a modified car to a dealership, unless, you have a specific tech who is well versed in your modifications. Even then, don't expect warranty coverage. If your car is modified any further than exhaust and air intake, take it to a performance shop that understands the modification.

If warranty coverage is important, then leave the car as it left the assembly line, because that is what the warranty covers.
Well said, was only going to quote the bolded part but seriously the whole comment is 100%

Not saying moding your car is a bad thing but some dealers have issues with things as simple as an exhaust, just imagine on a scale where a 2 step would lay at.

This may be related to your problem LINK

Your out of warranty, if you try to sue good luck but I would save the money and do 1 of 3 things.

1) Remove all mods and drive the car for what it is and start putting money to the side if something were to happen.

2) Take the hit on the car, trade it in and find something else if warranty is very important to you.

3) Do absolutely nothing, the car should be reliable and enjoy it.
What this car really needs is a notification eliminator. There's a wi-fi notification. Bluetooth notification. Parking brake disabled notification. Always some annoying notification popping up. - Navigator post
Reddy1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:50 AM   #14
Whocares05050

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post

HP is no directly coorelated to melting cat converters. I worked in a muffler shop for 5 yrs and anything from a bad tune to backfiring can melt them. A 2 step can 100% cause cats to go bad all day long. I am NEVER on the dealerships side but in this case, they are probably in the right...
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote