Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-01-2017, 08:41 AM   #1
Coach Mike

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible, 1978 Formula
Crazed Road Challenges

So I was coming in to work this morning, about 5:45, at a normal pace (about 50 MPH in a typically well monitored 45 zone) and had a newer orange Challenger pull up quick behind me and rev his engine (I had the top down). Then he went to pass me on the right just at a lane merge where his lane ends. He gunned it and passed me on the right shoulder, after his lane ran out (probably got up over 65-70 at that point). I started to punch mine when he revved, then realized how nuts he was when he cut over, so I just let him go. Not worth a ticket or wrecking my new car. Funny thing was, he was just making a statement, since he didn't continue to take off, but rather just sat at the same pace for the rest of the time together in a two lane stretch. No road rage or signals were exchanged and I had no issues or cares about it. Just a weird event as I figured he'd take off and I'd see him with a ticket ready up ahead.

Any other crazy stories out there from the experiences of you guys with competitor cars?
Coach Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:50 AM   #2
Mighunter

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
I don't know if its just me or if I don't drive the car enough, but I've had it a year and I've not been challenged at all. No one has wanted to race me LOL
Mighunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:53 AM   #3
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Almost identical incident with a modified G8. Passed me in a right turn lane, got his rear door to my nose and put his blinker on with about 60' left of road so I let him in, he settled after that and turned off a 1/4 mile later. He's harassed me a few times since. Tailed me through some mild twisties at about 65 when the wife and I were on the way to dinner and tailgated me another time. I'm not sure what his issue is.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:55 AM   #4
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
IDK, I think you should think of it more as "having a bit of fun". When you think of it as a challenge, then it becomes personal and dangerous as "road rage" kicks in.

You will have plenty of opportunities to play, just keep it in perspective, it's all good to have a little fun, just be reasonable.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:10 AM   #5
Walkure

Drives: '17 ZL1 A10 Vert
I've had my ZL1 for about 6 weeks. I'm constantly harassed by Subaru's and Honda's. They gun it and try to race or cut me off. I just let them go. It's not worth it to prove to everyone what I already know (that my car is way faster).
I also have a dash cam in case one of those knuckleheads causes an accident. There will be no doubt who caused it.
Funny thing though, I've had no bad experiences with drivers of muscle cars. Usually just a quick nod and wave and we continue on our way.
Walkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:30 AM   #6
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Love the Challengers (Scat Packs) and (Hello Kitty's). I've never had a Kitty try me but the Scat Packs like to play. If I'm not mistaken the Scat Packs are pretty comparable to the SS in a straight line compared to the Stang which is a bit slower. I believe that's the reason why they do. Most people wouldn't like to play if they already knew they were going to lose unless they were just curious how your car performed.
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:35 AM   #7
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
This weekend I had a newer Mustang get behind me and start revving. He then got beside me and clearly wanted to race. While I would normally give in to this, it just wasn't a safe stretch of road to do this. So I just waved which I think he thought was the "go" signal and he blasted away. As I came around the bend, I see a State Trooper u-turning in front of me. I slowed down and watched the chase come to a quick end. I gave him another wave as I really slowly passed them.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:40 AM   #8
Sftshldr
Beast Rider

Drives: 2017 ZL1 BLK A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkure View Post
I've had my ZL1 for about 6 weeks. I'm constantly harassed by Subaru's and Honda's. They gun it and try to race or cut me off. I just let them go. It's not worth it to prove to everyone what I already know (that my car is way faster).
I also have a dash cam in case one of those knuckleheads causes an accident. There will be no doubt who caused it.
Funny thing though, I've had no bad experiences with drivers of muscle cars. Usually just a quick nod and wave and we continue on our way.
Yes it's strange how it's the Honda's / Subaru's / Prius crowd that seem to do this. I really don't get the Prius's trying to goad me.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:55 AM   #9
Lukemo

Drives: '17 1LT RS V6 6M NPP
I've attached a drawing to make this more understandable...

For some reason, roundabouts have become the new thing in my city; there are like 5 within 4 square miles of me and people love to use them as a passing opportunity. They'll jump into the right lane to go straight and get in front a car they were behind... Well there is some modded / cammed '05 GTO I see every once in a while and hes got something to prove. One morning he pulled right up on my ass as we were approaching a roundabout and he jumps into the right lane to pass me. Exhaust blaring, he practically drifted through the outside lane to get around me, lol, but I was turning left anyway so his efforts were thwarted.
Attached Images

Lukemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:29 AM   #10
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I deal with the same thing as others do too Coach Mike! Just about everytime I'm driving mine some one wants to challenge me. Most of the time I let the idiots go on down the road. Looks like it pisses them off though when you don't run them! Some folks are cool about it and give you a thumbs up or peace sign if you do run them. Just don't get street racing as it's a real stiff penalty here in Georgia and I would imagine all over the US.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:15 AM   #11
Coach Mike

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible, 1978 Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burly View Post
This weekend I had a newer Mustang get behind me and start revving. He then got beside me and clearly wanted to race. While I would normally give in to this, it just wasn't a safe stretch of road to do this. So I just waved which I think he thought was the "go" signal and he blasted away. As I came around the bend, I see a State Trooper u-turning in front of me. I slowed down and watched the chase come to a quick end. I gave him another wave as I really slowly passed them.
I love this one as I would have done exactly the same thing

By the way, I just turned 60, not sure how old the Challenger driver was since I never got a look at him. I certainly don't drive like I'm 90, but I know I don't need to drive like I'm 12 to prove what this car can do either
Coach Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:49 PM   #12
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
I've had a lot more with my 5th gens, especially the '15 1LE, but only a small number with my ZL1, sorry none stood out enough to be memorable. But I do get people drive up and check it out, when they realize it's a ZL1 they give as they go past.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote