Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-28-2022, 09:53 AM   #1
Nilly Welson

Drives: Camaro Super Sport, Six on the Stik
Not seeing Android Auto Sometimes

10-20% of the time my Nokia phone will not connect to AA via USB cable, even using a brand new cable. I get out go to a store and come back plug it in and it works fine. Also when plugging in my USB stick to play MP3s sometimes its not recognized until I pull it out the port and plug back in. Anyone seen these annoying USB issues? Any fix?
Nilly Welson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 02:35 PM   #2
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilly Welson View Post
10-20% of the time my Nokia phone will not connect to AA via USB cable, even using a brand new cable. I get out go to a store and come back plug it in and it works fine. Also when plugging in my USB stick to play MP3s sometimes its not recognized until I pull it out the port and plug back in. Anyone seen these annoying USB issues? Any fix?
I have one broken USB port on my car. The intermittent thing with AA I found was related to the connector on the phone being bad/loose EVEN with a new cable. IF that isn't the issue then try shutting off the car, restart your phone. Wait for the phone to fully boot up. Start the Car, then plug the phone in. I have to do this every so often myself.

As far as USB not working or intermittent. Make sure the USB is formatted in FAT32 and/or MAYBE AdvancedFAT format.

If it is older FAT/NTFS the car won't recognize it. OR your USB drive is bad/dying.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 10:46 PM   #3
Nilly Welson

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
I have one broken USB port on my car. The intermittent thing with AA I found was related to the connector on the phone being bad/loose EVEN with a new cable. IF that isn't the issue then try shutting off the car, restart your phone. Wait for the phone to fully boot up. Start the Car, then plug the phone in. I have to do this every so often myself.

As far as USB not working or intermittent. Make sure the USB is formatted in FAT32 and/or MAYBE AdvancedFAT format.

If it is older FAT/NTFS the car won't recognize it. OR your USB drive is bad/dying.

😁👍
Old 03-01-2022, 12:11 AM   #4
JMCB1001

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 A10
Same issue with Apple CarPlay. I usually just have to unplug/replug cable on both ends and it’ll kick on.
Old 03-01-2022, 06:51 AM   #5
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
I had NOTHING but trouble with all kinds of Infotainment-related items from the day I bought the car. I sent it back to the dealership multiple times and they never found the cause of ANY of the issues.

I removed the 32G USB drive that I always left inserted for MP3's and haven't had an issue since.

The way the Infotainment works on this car is horrendous. You simply can't have anything plugged into the USB ports -at all- when you start it or it's a total crap shoot as to whether it will actually work or not. Don't plug anything in until after the car has been started up - that includes your USB drive, your phone, and anything else that provides a data connection of any sort.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 07:14 AM   #6
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
The more features, the more issues, especially with PIT systems. Having said that, the Apple Carplay Air/Wireless bit has been trouble free.

The plugged in systems in rental cars and friends/parents cars are obnoxious, you effectively have to wait for the car to be fully on and awake to plug in.
Old 03-01-2022, 07:37 AM   #7
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
I had NOTHING but trouble with all kinds of Infotainment-related items from the day I bought the car. I sent it back to the dealership multiple times and they never found the cause of ANY of the issues.

I removed the 32G USB drive that I always left inserted for MP3's and haven't had an issue since.

The way the Infotainment works on this car is horrendous. You simply can't have anything plugged into the USB ports -at all- when you start it or it's a total crap shoot as to whether it will actually work or not. Don't plug anything in until after the car has been started up - that includes your USB drive, your phone, and anything else that provides a data connection of any sort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushin_LT1 View Post
The more features, the more issues, especially with PIT systems. Having said that, the Apple Carplay Air/Wireless bit has been trouble free.

The plugged in systems in rental cars and friends/parents cars are obnoxious, you effectively have to wait for the car to be fully on and awake to plug in.
This is so sad on so many levels. Imagine having to do this with your desktop computer or notebook... I haven't had such issues there since, I don't know, probably the early 2000s.

A brand new vehicle architecture and infotainment designed a few years ago, and it can't tolerate deviced permanently plugged into USB ports or card readers?

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 08:10 AM   #8
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
This is so sad on so many levels. Imagine having to do this with your desktop computer or notebook... I haven't had such issues there since, I don't know, probably the early 2000s.

A brand new vehicle architecture and infotainment designed a few years ago, and it can't tolerate deviced permanently plugged into USB ports or card readers?
The issue, as I see it, is that it's too many cooks in the kitchen. There isn't a single individual / department that has architected the entire solution and understands how everything needs to communicate with each other. There are too many different pieces that need to work together, and the software isn't written holistically to support all of it properly. Case in point: The Infotainment software doesn't have all of the correct hooks in place either within it, or within the modules that support the USB ports, to ensure that everything initializes properly BEFORE it starts trying to access devices that are connected.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 12:11 AM   #9
Nilly Welson

I did some updates on my phones software. I think that may have fixed it.Testing it for the next few days.

Last edited by Nilly Welson; 03-04-2022 at 12:12 AM. Reason: f