Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-09-2022, 04:10 AM   #1
goata8

Drives: 2023 LT1 A10
Headers w/ non NPP & stock X

I was thinking 1 7/8" TSP headers with off road connections and just keeping the stock exhaust from there back, the stock X and non NPP muffler. That way it'll be a little quieter, retain AFM valves... In my extensive searching I think I only came across one guy (oldman I think it was) who ran headers with the non NPP muffler. Trying to get my hands on a oem NPP catback and swapping it out but haven't been able to source one locally for a while now.

I've done the loud exhaust thing on my past couple 4th gens and I'd like to keep it a little quieter this time around (as quiet as headers with no cats is going to be). End goal for the car is just a FBO car thats consistent at the strip and quick. Is there anything I should be concerned about if I go this route? Most guys have the NPP but I'd assume the mid pipes are the same and I shouldn't be leaving too much on the table power wise at bolt on power levels running the stock X and muffler, no?

Any input is appreciated...thanks yall.
goata8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 07:33 PM   #2
MrRuss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Headers with no cats and NPP is quite loud and raspy, likely quieter with non-NPP. I have headers, cats all 3" pipes and 3" Stainless Works NPP and it is pretty loud. I get a little self conscious starting it at 5am in my suburban neighborhood but no complaints yet.

Why do you want to keep the AFM? most remove them and tune the V4 mode out. You have to tune for headers anyway.

Tim "the tool man" Taylor is my hero

My Garage:
'16 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS, Summit White, Adrenaline Red
-- Rotofab CAI, Soler TB, 1 7/8 coated LT's, Full 3" mids, 3" Stainless Works NPP mufflers, Flex Fuel, E85/91 tuned
'20 Honda Oddysey Elite 25th Anniversary Edition
--wifes car, she said "No more SUV's" after the 2 CX-9's totaled
MrRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:16 PM   #3
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
This is what you want in your mid pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/j...4aAsryEALw_wcB

If you want something very similar to the magnaflow, but more of a true "x" insted of a Y-to-y connection internally. Just installed on a customer's ZL1 with ARH headers + Borla Atak (extremely loud). Now the car is very tame and tastefully loud. Jones-MF2469. It had no power loss when doing an a-b comparison compared to the unmuffled exhaust system at 860rwhp.

I will be installing this muffler on my personal ZL1 to try out with my ARH setup + Borla S-Type.

It is more of a factory style "stamped x" rather than an aftermarket "spliced-x" if that makes sense, but still an X and more free flowing than the magnaflow's Y-pipe setup.

We chose to install this in place of the ARH X-pipe that is up front. The packaging on this muffler is a little better than the magnaflow (slightly narrower), so it can be tucked further into the tunnel which is nice.

The body width

Last edited by 6spdhyperblue; 06-11-2022 at 08:58 AM.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 09:15 PM   #4
goata8

AFM can stay or go, I'm really indifferent on that. I just figured it'd sound better in 4cyl mode when keeping AFM active. (could be wrong on that, never had or heard an AFM equipped car with aftermarker exhaust in person. ( Correction: I was unaware AFM could be deleted, facepalm for me)

Another reason I was leaning towards keeping the stock x is not only obviously good fitment.

I'm going to install basically FBO E85 and get it tuned all at once. So it'll get a dyno tune. Ideally I'd like to find a oem NPP exhaust locally and swap over to quad tip, cut that one up for the long tubes allowing me to keep my stock non NPP in one piece in the garage and just reinstall, go back to stock and have the stock tune put back when the time comes to trade her in. Thats my tentative plan. I dont mind doing the off road x, the price really is negligible but if I'm really not leaving much on the table with the stocker (which I may be?) then I won't.

So what do yall vote then? Headers w/ off road x into stock exhaust (non npp, npp is i can get my hands on one)? Like I said, really don't matter either way, I'd like to just do everything all at once, get it tuned and enjoy the car at the strip.

Last edited by goata8; 06-10-2022 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-11-2022, 01:14 PM   #5
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
I have a non NPP and an NPP muffler, there's roughly a 7 decibel difference between the two on my car. It is a cammed car, 1 7/8 headers with kooks cats, borla resonators(a must with headers). I much prefer the sound of the NPP, but it's still pretty loud (103.6 db at Sonoma raceway).
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 08:06 PM   #6
goata8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddawg53 View Post
I have a non NPP and an NPP muffler, there's roughly a 7 decibel difference between the two on my car. It is a cammed car, 1 7/8 headers with kooks cats, borla resonators(a must with headers). I much prefer the sound of the NPP, but it's still pretty loud (103.6 db at Sonoma raceway).
After hearing some youtube clips of non npp w/ headers cars, not a fan of the way it sounds. I think the two mufflers are quite a bit different moreso than just the valve system. So if I can get my hands on a NPP system cheap I think i'll do the swap. If not I'll probably go AWE touring or Borla S type.

I get what yall are saying with the X pipe. Appreciate the input guys.

Again I'm not going for some all out Full bolt on setup. The car's paid off and warranty is up, so I'm looking to have some fun with it. Typical "budget" FBO setup. Also have a truck so I can afford to have some downtime while I'm tinkering with the car.
Old 06-14-2022, 12:00 AM   #7
red6.2

Drives: 2010 camaro
hey baddawg53, i have a question for you? sent you pm, thanks.
red6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote