Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-25-2022, 10:24 AM   #1
ls1smokedu

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
oil level at warm/cold

I'm sure this has been asked in here before but I couldn't find it using the search.

When I check my oil after sitting all night, cold, it is over the hash marks but not into to braided line - just touching the top of the "bullet". To me, this seems like it is too much.

However, when checking it warm after sitting for at least 2 hours, it is exactly at the top of the hash marks, but not over into the smooth top part.

I brought it to two separate dealers and both, after letting it sit for 30 minutes and seeing that it is not over the hash marks, told me that I was OK and within factory spec.

My concern is that it is covering the end of the marker when it is cold, but not when hot. If I check it immediately after turning off the car after running it for 20 minutes, it is 1/4 up the hash marks. Sitting for 2 hours it is fully up the hash marks but not to the end of the marker, but sitting overnight cold is is covering the end of the marker. If I start it for only 5-10 minutes after that, though, it goes back to being at the top of the hash. Is this too much or within spec?
ls1smokedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:04 PM   #2
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Full is right at the top of the hash marks on a cold engine (the only way I check mine). Anything on the hash marks on a hot engine is probably OK as these engines take a long time for the oil to drain down to the oil pan. Your cold level is a little high but I don't think its so high that you need to worry.

Did you do your own last oil change? Or a shop? Either way - I've always hit right at the top of the cross hatch with exactly 10 quarts added to a well drained engine and it stays at that level (on a cold reading) until the next oil change.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:17 PM   #3
ls1smokedu

A shop did it a month ago and added exactly 10 quarts but checking it a month later, about 2,000-3,000 miles, it was at the bottom of the hash marks so I added a quart. I think I added too much though because cold in the morning it is above the hash but not covering the stick itself. To be safe, I am going to have it drained a half quart so that it is within range
Old 05-25-2022, 03:30 PM   #4
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Did you add the quart after a cold reading? Draining a little out can't hurt.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:33 PM   #5
ls1smokedu

I did, but it is still too high. Maybe it wasn't fully drained when I checked it before adding. I am going to drain a little out tomorrow, but good to know that it is ok to run until then.

I just don't feel comfortable running it outside of the recommended area
Old 05-25-2022, 03:56 PM   #6
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Ii think you are fine, doesn't the track manual say to add an additional quart for track days? If you can run an additional quart on a hard track day, I think you'll be ok with a little extra on the daily drive... Mine usually takes about 9.5 quarts to be full (Top 'O the Hash Marks) after a good oil change (I usually let it drain about 2 hours and it is level on my Quick Jack lift)...

Mark sure the car is level when you are checking it...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:10 PM   #7
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Don't overthink it man, it's fine.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:11 PM   #8
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Ii think you are fine, doesn't the track manual say to add an additional quart for track days? If you can run an additional quart on a hard track day, I think you'll be ok with a little extra on the daily drive... Mine usually takes about 9.5 quarts to be full (Top 'O the Hash Marks) after a good oil change (I usually let it drain about 2 hours and it is level on my Quick Jack lift)...

Mark sure the car is level when you are checking it...
Manual only says to add additional quart on some engines for track days. I believe it's the V6 but don't quote me on that. The LT1 doesnt take any additional oil on track days.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:39 PM   #9
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1smokedu View Post
A shop did it a month ago and added exactly 10 quarts but checking it a month later, about 2,000-3,000 miles, it was at the bottom of the hash marks so I added a quart. I think I added too much though because cold in the morning it is above the hash but not covering the stick itself. To be safe, I am going to have it drained a half quart so that it is within range
I always keep mine a skimpy half quart low.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:27 AM   #10
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
Manual only says to add additional quart on some engines for track days. I believe it's the V6 but don't quote me on that. The LT1 doesnt take any additional oil on track days.
Ah, good to know, I knew I saw something about that somewhere (I don't track my car)...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:50 AM   #11
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
This sounds to me like your oil may be slightly overfilled and you are getting some whipping. It is the foamy oil which is taking longer to drain down and show up on the stick.
Above the "bullet" sounds too high to me.
Do you have a vacuum drain that will let you draw a qt through the dipstick? I would drop it a qt and get it between the hash marks when cold. You can probably do this at the pan by backing out the drain bolt part way and letting it drip. Slow way to do it, but you don't want to remove the bolt completely or all the oil will fly.

BTW, I grew up in Reading, PA, so whadda I know?
See you on Skyline Drive
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 12:07 PM   #12
ls1smokedu

I'm just going to get an oil change at a shop with 10 fresh quarts and measure it cold in the morning to get a base line, then monitor it for the next few thousand miles. Only way for me to have peace of mind and know for sure.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:12 PM   #13
ls1smokedu

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
BTW, I grew up in Reading, PA, so whadda I know?
See you on Skyline Drive
Old 05-27-2022, 07:15 AM   #14
ls1smokedu

I got a full oil change to be sure.

The first two pictures are where I was cold after adding a quart - the second two are the level cold after a fresh oil change with 10 quarts added. Unless you let it sit and drain overnight, there is still some oil in the top end that didn't drain - so is it really 10.5 total? Maybe... Even so, I added 1qt when it was at the bottom of the hash and I was just a hair over the hash cold.

I agree that I was probably fine the way I was - but you can see that I was at the end of the bullet before and now I am just at the end of the hash. It makes me feel better knowing that I am not over-full.

An oil change at the dealer was $200 - luckily I had points on my GM card to cover it.
Attached Images