Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-27-2021, 08:21 AM   #1
MeanGreen1LE

Drives: 17 krypton green 1le
Oil pressure issues after cam, katech pump fail?

Brief background: it’s been a rough year with mistakes on my part, bad luck and barkorder woes. Head cam install has stretched to almost a year.

Anyhow finally got it back together and started it for the first time. Took probably 20 seconds to get fuel pressure back and it started. No concerning noises valvetrain stock quit. Have drop ins so I was running initial break in cycle varying rpm from 1500 to 2500. Things going great cold pressure was maybe a little high 60 maybe and would jump up with light revs. I was listening and looking for so much I’ll be honest I don’t know exact numbers.

Ran maybe 10 minutes varying rpm, all the smoke had cleared up even from exhaust running ok but some “pops” in exhaust. Drove a little in first gear to get some load on new piston rings. Still only revving to 3k or so. I live in country and have long gravel drive made it less than what be “around the block and got reduced engine power” message coasted back in shoo and oil pressure is hovering about 10psi.

Changed filter cut it open has definite sparkle but drain oil and it looks perfect shined light as it drained and no flake detected at all.
Ran again and cold pressure is high 40s then gradually drops to 10 or so as cars is about warm. Seems car was not running as well tune wise. No engine noise but more pops with only light revs and running super lean pushing 16 ugh with light revs. Idle 14ish
Any thoughts on what this is?
Has anyone seen a katech pump bad.
I put all new gaskets in pan above oul filter and at pickup.
Dropped cradle for pan removal install so pan went on at angle would this mess it up or maybe stupid silicone got shifted.

I’m so frustrated that it’s looking like I, going to have to redrop cradle or pull engine.

Where do you put mechanical oil pressure gauge?
160 thermostat
Gpi cam kit
Msd Air Force ported by gpi
Ported katec 95 tb
Katech oil pump
Rotafab dry
17/8 long tube off road
Mast black label medium bore heads shaved .020” springs are 160# at 1.8 and end up being 409/401 open pressure.
Callies/diamond drop ins
Jonson 2110
Factory rockers with Che upgrade
Aem wide band
Bmr semi solid motor mounts
Ati super damper 10% under
MeanGreen1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 09:00 AM   #2
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
I feel for you that’s for sure, you have a lot of extremely good parts in your build.

If it’s your oil pump alignment, did you use an alignment tool? ICT makes a helpful tool. Faliure to properly align the oil pump may result in low oil pressure

https://www.ictbillet.com/lt-gen-v-o...3-l86-l87.html

(factory oil pressure specs are 22psi at 1000rpm, 30psi at 2,000 rpm, and 33psi at 3,000 rpm.
The relief valve (should) stop oil pressure from exceeding between 55 and 75 psi.)
Attached Images

Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 12:22 PM   #3
MeanGreen1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbeastSS2 View Post
I feel for you that’s for sure, you have a lot of extremely good parts in your build.

If it’s your oil pump alignment, did you use an alignment tool? ICT makes a helpful tool. Faliure to properly align the oil pump may result in low oil pressure

https://www.ictbillet.com/lt-gen-v-o...3-l86-l87.html

(factory oil pressure specs are 22psi at 1000rpm, 30psi at 2,000 rpm, and 33psi at 3,000 rpm.
The relief valve (should) stop oil pressure from exceeding between 55 and 75 psi.)
I actually have that exact alignment tool but since I decided to go with the new Katech pump I did not use it. I've read multiple places that it is not needed with a new pump. But.....
Old 12-27-2021, 01:10 PM   #4
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreen1LE View Post
I actually have that exact alignment tool but since I decided to go with the new Katech pump I did not use it. I've read multiple places that it is not needed with a new pump. But.....

Did you calibrate the pump and make changes to DTC codes in HP Tuners? (May require calibration) If not I would definitely talk to the person at Katech that does their HP Tuning. Contact Dan Chandler at Katech he does aftermarket sales and is a great guy to help out with problems like this. Good Luck

586-791-4120 x223
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 01:41 PM   #5
MeanGreen1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbeastSS2 View Post
Did you calibrate the pump and make changes to DTC codes in HP Tuners? (May require calibration) If not I would definitely talk to the person at Katech that does their HP Tuning. Contact Dan Chandler at Katech he does aftermarket sales and is a great guy to help out with problems like this. Good Luck

586-791-4120 x223
I have the KAT-A7502 it says on their site it requires no tuning. You do have to tune the pumps that are made for the trucks as they do run higher pressures.
I actually emailed Dan and he has gave me a couple of suggestions.
He mentioned unplugging the solenoid to see if their was any change but I don't think you can do that without pulling timing cover which means pulling dang oil pan anyways.
I wonder if you can turn it off with hptuners?

I want to check with a mechanical oil pressure gauge but I'm unsure of where to put one. If i Put one on factory sender port on the valley plate I know the car will really freak out. (maybe a Y or T there?) There is a threaded plug a little above oil filter but I'm not sure if its pressured by oil system behind there.
I've also seen adapter plates for LT1 but they seem to be for corvettes maybe as the oil cooling set up I think is different. Seems like I read somewhere that it would be good to check the difference between pressure by oil pump and valley plate.
I appreciate you throwing out ideas!!
Old 12-27-2021, 02:47 PM   #6
MeanGreen1LE

Dan at Katech just wrote back and asked where I got the Jonson 2110s, he said that it was well known that they can drop oil pressure. Looked it up and sure enough I found that to be true and even examples on C7 Corvette. One post said it would drop it 10-15 psi warm. I'm trying to not get my hopes up to much but 10 psi would put me within the low end of spec I think. (I'm just above 10 at idle, spec is 22psi at 1000)
Old 12-27-2021, 02:52 PM   #7
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Mean green, I know that frustration all to well. My built LQ9 shortblack gave me so many issues with the oil pick up tube. Dropped the pan 4 times attempting to resolve my low pressure when warm issue. 4th time had a professional GM performance shop try to resolve it. Everything you could imagine was attempted. The whole experience swayed me to never again buy a built shortblock and attempt to complete a longblock from it with my existing engine. I have zero interest in any future LSX or LTX forged builds uness they are fully assembled turn key engines down to the very last seal and oring.

I truly hope your issue is easily and quickly resolved.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 03:25 PM   #8
MeanGreen1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
Mean green, I know that frustration all to well. My built LQ9 shortblack gave me so many issues with the oil pick up tube. Dropped the pan 4 times attempting to resolve my low pressure when warm issue. 4th time had a professional GM performance shop try to resolve it. Everything you could imagine was attempted. The whole experience swayed me to never again buy a built shortblock and attempt to complete a longblock from it with my existing engine. I have zero interest in any future LSX or LTX forged builds uness they are fully assembled turn key engines down to the very last seal and oring.

I truly hope your issue is easily and quickly resolved.
Thanks! This weekend was so frustrating! In addition to being just pissed about the whole thing I felt foolish for letting something like a car put me in such a bad mood. Outside of faith and family cars is just about the only thing I've consistently cared about my entire life. I was turned off to the point I was thinking I might need to find something else. But after being bit by the car bug since I was barely out of diapers, (now in low 40s) I don't see it changing. Been researching like crazy in the hopes of finding something simple, but ultimately will pull the engine and even buy another one if I have too.
In retrospect I should have left this <1500 mile car I bought new alone and potentially traded it in on a ZL1 1lE or maybe even a C8, (I want a C8 Z so bad I just don't think I could swing it without getting divorced). I know I could have gotten what I paid new.
Old 12-27-2021, 06:41 PM   #9
LT1ornothing

Quote:
Thanks! This weekend was so frustrating! In addition to being just pissed about the whole thing I felt foolish for letting something like a car put me in such a bad mood. Outside of faith and family cars is just about the only thing I've consistently cared about my entire life. I was turned off to the point I was thinking I might need to find something else. But after being bit by the car bug since I was barely out of diapers, (now in low 40s) I don't see it changing. Been researching like crazy in the hopes of finding something simple, but ultimately will pull the engine and even buy another one if I have too.
In retrospect I should have left this <1500 mile car I bought new alone and potentially traded it in on a ZL1 1lE or maybe even a C8, (I want a C8 Z so bad I just don't think I could swing it without getting divorced). I know I could have gotten what I paid new.
I understand why you did it though. The 1LE's really shine in their element with your set up on it. I think once you get it squared out, you will be happy over the funds you saved from not going ZL1 1LE or C8. I too wanted a ZL1 or even a 1LE, but the tons of cash I saved on a bare bones LT1 has made ownership on a new purchase much less straining.
Old 12-27-2021, 08:40 PM   #10
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
MeanGreen1LE. Keep your head up. This hobby throws curve balls. Perseverance my friend.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 08:41 PM   #11
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Call Katech. Explain the situation. They may have a solution.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 07:41 AM   #12
MeanGreen1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
Call Katech. Explain the situation. They may have a solution.
Thanks for the encouragement!
I have been emailing Dan at katech and he has been the most helpful thus far.
I mentioned above but he brought up the Johnson 2110 lifters and said they have seen oil pressure issues with them and actually spec their own. Been researching online and have seen people demonstrate pressure drop usually in the 5-10 psi range but I have seen as high as 15. Would be another almost 800$ but I’m tempted to try it.
Old 12-28-2021, 07:52 AM   #13
LT1ornothing

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement!
I have been emailing Dan at katech and he has been the most helpful thus far.
I mentioned above but he brought up the Johnson 2110 lifters and said they have seen oil pressure issues with them and actually spec their own. Been researching online and have seen people demonstrate pressure drop usually in the 5-10 psi range but I have seen as high as 15. Would be another almost 800$ but I’m tempted to try it.
You may lose a little time, but you will recover most of it selling whichever lifters didn't work out. They won't all become paperweights.
Old 12-29-2021, 12:32 PM   #14
MeanGreen1LE

I have bought a sandwich plate that goes between oil filter. Hopefully it will fit. (Won't come in till next week) Where else can I check pressure on LT1. I assume it might be good to have reading at oil filter and then farther down the line.