Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 11-04-2019, 07:20 PM   #1
AzulBlaze

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE
2019/2020 8" Infotainment 3 Upgrade (IOS headunits)

Hi guys, I've been lurking around for a bit but finally have a question that doesn't appear to have been discussed.

Apparently at the end of September, GM made an 'upgrade' kit for those of us with the 8" Infotainment 3 Plus systems to be able to get embedded Navigation instead of the OnStar turn by turn one:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/09/...9-2020-camaro/

Quote:
Assigned RPO Code S54 and GM part number 84250952, the navigation upgrade kit – otherwise known as the nav card kit – comes in the form of an SD card that owners simply insert into the SD card slot of their Chevrolet Camaro. According to one Chevrolet dealer’s service center, there is no programming required, meaning that it’s a simple plug-and-play situation. Meanwhile, another dealer has told us that a software update (reflash) is required.
According to the article, the part number appears to be a SD card with the map data, but they don't seem to be sure whether or not simply inserting this card would allow the IOS infotainment units to automatically gain embedded navigation capabilities or not.

I wanted to see if anyone has pursued this upgrade on their 2019/2020 cars and if the infotainment system needed to be flashed to support the SD card or would just inserting the card automatically enable it.

Thanks!
AzulBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:16 AM   #2
Blue_6.2
Banned

Drives: 2019 1SS Convertible
I would have jumped on this with both feet back in June, but I have become a WAZE user and for the most part that has sufficed to get me to and from the places I have been going.
Blue_6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:38 AM   #3
GTPprix
I hack cars.

Drives: Lots ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzulBlaze View Post
Hi guys, I've been lurking around for a bit but finally have a question that doesn't appear to have been discussed.

Apparently at the end of September, GM made an 'upgrade' kit for those of us with the 8" Infotainment 3 Plus systems to be able to get embedded Navigation instead of the OnStar turn by turn one:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/09/...9-2020-camaro/

According to the article, the part number appears to be a SD card with the map data, but they don't seem to be sure whether or not simply inserting this card would allow the IOS infotainment units to automatically gain embedded navigation capabilities or not.

I wanted to see if anyone has pursued this upgrade on their 2019/2020 cars and if the infotainment system needed to be flashed to support the SD card or would just inserting the card automatically enable it.

Thanks!
Radio needs to be flashed. This has actually been around for awhile as this system was introduced in the 2017 Cadillac line up (and they have been trying to fix it since LOL)
Old 11-07-2019, 12:02 PM   #4
Ferntree

Drives: Jeep GC; GMC K1500; Maserati 222 4V
so - does this mean I can save the $495 infotainment Nav upgrade and just use Waze from my iphone via carplay? Can I still play music and have Waze running at the same time? Sorry - never used/seen carplay !!

You're never too old to learn something stupid.
Ferntree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:48 PM   #5
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
My 19SS has this upgrade I guess it flashed and uses the SD card right from the showroom, I accidentally removed the SD card in the center console and the infotainment warned the Nav was offline and to reinsert the card.
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:31 PM   #6
anukula

Drives: Camaro 2ss
But how does it bring GPS module to car? Is it already embedded in car? Cos normally, when navigation is installed, GPS hardware has to be installed as well
anukula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:14 PM   #7
ElwoodBlues

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferntree View Post
so - does this mean I can save the $495 infotainment Nav upgrade and just use Waze from my iphone via carplay? Can I still play music and have Waze running at the same time? Sorry - never used/seen carplay !!
Yep, with Carplay you can have Waze on the screen and music or audiobooks playing at the same time. If you have IOS 13, your passenger can even use the phone for other things while all of that is going on (web browser, email, etc.).
ElwoodBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:15 PM   #8
ElwoodBlues

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by anukula View Post
But how does it bring GPS module to car? Is it already embedded in car? Cos normally, when navigation is installed, GPS hardware has to be installed as well
GPS is built in, must be part of the OnStar system.
ElwoodBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:43 PM   #9
Ferntree

Drives: Jeep GC; GMC K1500; Maserati 222 4V
Awesome to know - thanks.

Still trying to figure out the fax machine.......

You're never too old to learn something stupid.
Ferntree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:24 PM   #10
threetime
*PIMP*

Drives: 2018 2SS
Waze is the best. Save your cash and enjoy.
threetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:56 PM   #11
UFDUB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Can anybody find this part anymore?
UFDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:29 PM   #12
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferntree View Post

With carplay and Android auto there's no reason to even pay for nav/map upgrades ever again. Waze works better than anything else and it's always up to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:59 PM   #13
mano_camaro
IYAOYAS

Drives: 22 1LE 2SS M6 Riverside Blue
Reviving this old thread.

I purchased the navcard a few weeks ago, and unfortunately it seems to require a software update. Took it to my dealer and they could not get it to work, they said they never done such a thing although they tried. Anyone else done this recently? I might need to look into some other dealership coz im not trying to pay 500 for this plug and play aftermarket solution called OBD genie.

https://www.obdgenie.com/collections...31708515270729

2020 Red Hot Camaro 2SS 1LE/PDR /Sold

2018 black Camaro 2SS M6 Redline Edition/Traded

2016 summit white Camaro RS V6 M6/Traded
mano_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:52 PM   #14
gsw_fanatic

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Did you get this working?
gsw_fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote