Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 07-12-2022, 09:27 AM   #1
Briland_1LE

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE
Z/28 Carbon Ceramic Discs

I recently had an interesting idea... what about putting the Z/28 carbon ceramic discs on my 1LE? they weight anywhere from 16lbs - 20lbs from what I can find which is like a 30lb rotating, unsprung mass weight savings for the pair of front rotors. Price wise on ebay you can get a new pair of front rotors for $1600 which isn't that much more than the steel rotors and they will last like three times longer. Also, it would look badasss! So my question is has anyone done this? Does anyone know specifics about the dimensions of the carbon rotors compared to the steel rotors?
Briland_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:52 AM   #2
FrostZ

Drives: 2019 A10 ZL1
A few members have done it in some capacity or another, the front rotors fit the stock calipers just put the ZL1 center hat on any brembo 394mm carbon front. The rear is a different story as we have a one piece rotor with a good bit smaller diameter. You would need the Z/28 rear calipers to fit the rotors and a proper center hat designed for ours cars parking brake and backspacing of the rotors. I’m not sure if the Z/28 center hat would work but the fronts will be significantly easier than the rears.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:23 AM   #3
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
There's a few posts covering this... here is one of mine

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=59

More pics and info here:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=491421&page=9

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 11:28 AM   #4
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
The fronts weigh just over 13# up front with hat. The Z28 front CCM hat has the correct bore center, stud size / bolt pattern, but wrong cross-car offset. You can get that hat to work with some creative caliper spacing or just minor machining on a J6H front hat works upfront. The Z28 rear rotor hat works over our e-brake, but you need Z28 rear calipers mounted on the opposite side (LH Z28 or RH of Gen 6), or just change the side of the fluid crossover tube to put the bleeders on top - like if you had two lefts or two rights.

I first did the swap in 2017 but went back to J6H front and 390mm steel while my sons were tracking the car a lot - due to consumeable costs. I have the CCM’s back on that car. Personally, the stock SS 1LE system is very capable, or move to the ZL1 sized. Plenty of pad options for each. If you have the budget, the look great and love how they feel on track. Still, it’s your own goals and budget to determine next steps. Of course, the usual disclaimer of any changes aren’t validated for the brake system cal, etc. Your mileage may vary on any concerns seen.

Last edited by RUQWIKR; 07-12-2022 at 11:39 AM.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 07:10 PM   #5
Briland_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
There's a few posts covering this... here is one of mine

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=59

More pics and info here:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=491421&page=9

So whats the approximate cost in parts? Have you tracked the CCMs, how do they perform? I see Girodiscs are $1200 for front rotors and the GM carbon brakes aren't that much more so I kind of feel like why not go for it, unless I’m missing some of the costs. So I would have to buy ZL1 center hats and Z28 rotors?
Old 07-15-2022, 05:05 AM   #6
RUQWIKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briland_1LE View Post
So whats the approximate cost in parts? Have you tracked the CCMs, how do they perform? I see Girodiscs are $1200 for front rotors and the GM carbon brakes aren't that much more so I kind of feel like why not go for it, unless I’m missing some of the costs. So I would have to buy ZL1 center hats and Z28 rotors?
You're probably looking at close to $10K (!!!) to convert a SS 1LE J6M brake system over to J57 CCM system: front and rear rotors / calipers / pads, and other parts (front brake hoses, front dust shields, caliper spring kits for all four calipers).

Yes, I have tracked them extensively, but, there are plenty of people that are very quick and capable with the stock SS 1LE system (with upgraded fluid of course) even with stock pads. Personally, I'd find a pad material (or split pad material front / rear if you like that) that suits your driving style, pedal feel, and budget. Then track the snot out of the car with that. Then spend the money on a stickier tire compound that meets your driving needs and budget and see if your pad set up works well with it. Adjust as needed. I'd also have the regular SS front brake deflectors on or the CT5-V Blackwing ones. Plenty of other threads about both of those.

If you are already there in track pace and experience and want upgraded braking thermal capacity, I'd try to find an used J6H Gen 6 ZL1 rotor / caliper / pad system to put on. I've seen those from $1200 to $2000 +/-. eBay has all kinds of stuff on there now and does typically all the time. Classifieds on Camaro6 often does, too.

The ZL1 1LE system is the exact same as the base ZL1 other than caliper color. Tons of pad choices if stock doesn't suit you.
Old 07-15-2022, 01:52 PM   #7
Briland_1LE

Oh wow I was way off. Upgraded pads and fluid it is haha!
Old 07-15-2022, 02:09 PM   #8
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briland_1LE View Post
The Z28 CCM rotors are $1600+ each, so you're looking at $6400+ in rotors alone!
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 02:17 PM   #9
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Front does most of the braking work and potential for greatest weight savings vs cost.

Some ccm rotors are as low as $1200 each, sometimes less, sub $1K. From GM parts bin, 2019 ZR1 is probably best fit, 392mm. You can find ZL1 take-off fairly cheap now, rotors (for the hats), calipers and maybe brake lines. You can reuse many parts (bushings, bobbins, nuts from new ccm rotors). Clean and reuse ZL1 hats. Reuse caliper spring plates, pad guide pins - they clean up nicely w brass wire brush and or scotchbrite pad.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 11:19 PM   #10
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
One thing I would wonder about is the calibration of the ABS, traction control, and differential being specific to the engineered system that was factory installed. Getting the bigger copper-free brakes and switching to another type of pad seems like a good idea, but could create the same situation of mis-calibration.

Yes, I am not an engineer.
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 07:53 AM   #11
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
One thing I would wonder about is the calibration of the ABS, traction control, and differential being specific to the engineered system that was factory installed. Getting the bigger copper-free brakes and switching to another type of pad seems like a good idea, but could create the same situation of mis-calibration.

Yes, I am not an engineer.
The wheel speed sensors that handle ABS duties have a binary state…wheel is spinning or not. If the wheel is locked up and the accelerometer is showing movement, ABS jumps in.

Early models (‘16 and ‘17) could have the infamous ‘ice mode’ when changing tires and/or brake compounds, but GM addressed that in ‘18s and later.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 12:04 PM   #12
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
That makes sense, thank you.

What about single caliper application for traction control? Not that you use major intervention modes on track, but would the difference in the coefficient of friction of the pads throw off the yaw rate calibration?

Also, MatthewAMEL, do you have a Hyper Blue Metallic 2023 ZL1 !LE? Is that color available in 2023? I want!
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 02:28 PM   #13
RUQWIKR

I have run six brake combos on my 17 SS 1LE with all kinds of pads and tires (200TW, R, slicks). On the road courses, I’ve never had an issue. On my 22 SS 1LE with BCD J6H, I yanked the copper free pads the first day I had the car. Had it on track a few times thus far with G3R’s with no issues. This doesn’t mean that any brake system, pad, tire, track conditions won’t cause problems on track. That said, I’ve been happy with the impressive range of combos the original calibrations of all the systems involved.
Old 07-16-2022, 07:53 PM   #14
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
I have run six brake combos on my 17 SS 1LE with all kinds of pads and tires (200TW, R, slicks). On the road courses, I’ve never had an issue. On my 22 SS 1LE with BCD J6H, I yanked the copper free pads the first day I had the car. Had it on track a few times thus far with G3R’s with no issues. This doesn’t mean that any brake system, pad, tire, track conditions won’t cause problems on track. That said, I’ve been happy with the impressive range of combos the original calibrations of all the systems involved.
What pads did you use on your BCD 1LE?