Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-02-2015, 08:59 AM   #1
TOXIC SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99
Exclamation Radio upgrade

Hey guys,

Are there any head units that allow dvd's to play while car is in motion, or do you have to be in park with e brake on? Drives 2010 camaro 2ss, would be great on long trips for back seat passengers. Also which is the better metra or scosche, and what head units do you suggest. Thanks in advance.
TOXIC SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:29 AM   #2
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
The Pioneer "NEX" head units have "DUAL ZONE ENTERTAINMENT" which allow you to play a DVD for rear-seat passengers while the car is in motion.

Any head units that have the ability to play DVD's can have a parking-brake-bypass installed with them that will allow the DVD function for front or rear set passengers while the car is in motion. They are pretty cheap - run anywhere from $12-20. I have the bypass installed in both my cars, but not for that reason. The bypass also allows for other functions that the head-unit manufacturers chose to disable while the car is in-motion - like the ability to use the phone dialing keypad.... still don;t understand why that is disabled.

I prefer the Scosche purely based on the ascetics of it, but there are some minor hang-ups that keep some people away. I have both the TPMS and reduced remote range, but neither is a deal-breaker for me.

I prefer Pioneer head units, but Alpine and Kenwood also make great units as well. I have no experience with JVC, but my understanding is that Kenwood is now owned by JVC, so they should at least be as-good-as Kenwood units.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOXIC SS View Post
Hey guys,

Are there any head units that allow dvd's to play while car is in motion, or do you have to be in park with e brake on? Drives 2010 camaro 2ss, would be great on long trips for back seat passengers. Also which is the better metra or scosche, and what head units do you suggest. Thanks in advance.
Not legally, but there are bypass setups just be careful with your state regulations and use common sense.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:41 AM   #4
TOXIC SS

Thank you for the info, you guys are great. Love this forum.

[ It takes a real man to be a father]
Old 12-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #5
jc615
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro and Sierra
I have 5gendiy mylink and it will play while in motion. It's for "off road" use only lol
jc615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:21 PM   #6
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Drives: 2015 ZL1
The NEX units from pioneer offer a hidden setting that will allow you to do just this. More information inside: http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/...ic-units-only/

As far as recommendations go, I really enjoy my Avic-8000nex, and since they were just phased down by a revised line of NEX radios, they can be had for slightly cheaper. Solid navigation on them as well. In terms of the dash kits, I can't really recommend either. The scosche looks great, but is buggy and has some issues and doesn't work perfectly all the time (TPMS and reduced remote range were mentioned earlier, I use a Viper remote system so i bypassed one problem). The metra, to me at least, just looks kinda cheap, but that's a preference/personal opinion. Haven't heard much in terms of functionality on the metra kit.
Sold: 2015 ZL1 M6, Rotofab Intake, LS3 throttle body, 2.55 Upper/9.17 Lower, Custom Camshaft, DMS Reinforced Brick, ID1050X, 1 7/8" Headers, ProSpeed HX/Reservoir, DSX Aux Pump/Flex Fuel Sensor, E85, McLeod RXT, BMR 1" Drop, 680rw 93/750rw E85, Tuned by CSP
Sold: 2010 2SS, some bolt ons, 415rwhp/400rwtq

spadz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:59 PM   #7
Graphicsgod

Drives: 2015 Manual Hot Red 2LS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOXIC SS View Post
Hey guys,

Also any Android radio will allow it as well!
Old 12-08-2015, 11:50 PM   #8
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc615 View Post
I have 5gendiy mylink and it will play while in motion. It's for "off road" use only lol
+1. And I use mine for off road all the time

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:59 PM   #9
TOXIC SS

thanks guys great info, the search is on