Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-08-2021, 01:20 PM   #15
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
I could see this being sort of fine on a slow family car, but depending on where you live, calling them to tell them you are braking hard for a deer/pedestrian crossing a red light/car running a stop sign could get old quick, for both you and them.

And even then, there are too many variables at play. Some highways in interior BC is totally fine to do 20~30 km/h or 12~20 mph over on a hot sunny day in the summer, to the point that even cops don't care. I don't imagine those going so well with insurance, though. And what about passing on a 2-lane highway? You have to accelerate fast to a high speed to complete the overtaking as fast as possible. If conditions like weather come into play then I could see it being fair(passing on a snowy day is a no go), but I doubt they will bother making their system that competent.

Ultimately, I think this will just create the exact opposite of those car-share service drivers, whereas car-share drivers are infamous for driving too fast/aggressively to save a couple of bucks, insurance discount drivers will probably be known for driving too slow(so your stereotypical Toyota driver) for conditions for a couple of bucks. At least the car-share cars are easy to tell apart and avoid.

With that being said, I see it could be useful for people who are known for numerous previous infractions. Think of a breathalyzer ignition lock for people who have a record of DUI. But again, roads are too unpredictable for a system like this to ever be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Even if they offered to pay ME to use the tracker, as well as cover my car insurance premium, I’d say no way. This crap has to stop… I’ve turned off location services on my phone because of its “handy” pop up’s on traffic use. IE time / traffic to destination on particular days / times that I travel the same routes. And quite frankly, I hate paying for buried Onstar Equip as part of the purchase price. Nor do I like them to be able to download my driving habits, whether they be good or bad. I’m going to try the simplest way possible to disable / re- enable Onstar on my next car. How many people need to know my movements and speed at any given time?
I highly doubt GM will spend the money and effort involved to poll your GPS location at all times. That also doesn't play out PR-wise. I think they will just poll it when necessary, like when you need them to disable the car or when you need them to rescue you in a crash.

And turning off your phone location service is not too useful since it could still be traced just with local cell towers. It's less precise but it could get the job done. You could turn off the cell service but that defeats the purpose of a phone.

Honestly, if you are that concerned, you need a phone like this.

The only real reason to be concerned at all is if these services get hacked by malicious people - hence why I personally don't like signing up for new accounts just for random crap, but that doesn't seem to be your argument.

One of my favourite articles of all times is this one. Worth a read.

https://askleo.com/youre-just-not-that-interesting/

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 01:27 PM   #16
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
Nationwide does the same thing. I did it for mine and knocked 40% off my bill so I can't complain. As long as you don't drive like an ass you really have nothing to worry about.
Problem with it is that it causes people to drive like a blue-hair. Annoying as hell.
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 01:32 PM   #17
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
I can't even imagine what the 'report' would look like after a weekend at Sebring.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 01:48 PM   #18
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan View Post
Problem with it is that it causes people to drive like a blue-hair. Annoying as hell.
You can drive normal without slowing traffic or causing an accident. I'm usually doing 5 over the speed limit wherever I go but I don't go blasting over 100 every time I get in my car. Those who do drive slower than the speed limit also fall under the drive like an ass category.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 01:51 PM   #19
Zone5

Drives: Camaro ZL1, Dodge TRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
I can't even imagine what the 'report' would look like after a weekend at Sebring.
They'd probably tell you that your line looked good through turn 17 but were too fast through turn 1.
Zone5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 02:00 PM   #20
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Interesting reading the particulars on the Allstate monitor and what it considers an event.
"Acceleration Event: Increases in vehicle speed greater than 8 mph per second. "

7.5 seconds to sixty is not that fast for a modern v8 ... or any electric. One may not drive like an ass#@le and still trigger that quite often, but that's a matter of opinion and we all know what opinions are like.
I have USAA due to my parents. I pay 105 a month but got the max good coverage.

NEver used Allstate. My dad used Allstate when he was young and when he got shipped to Nam they dropped him for no reason at all. He said F them and would never use them again.

F that tracker. Well they'd probably love me having that on my Car. Jack your rates up.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 02:26 PM   #21
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Don't think they already don't monitor your car. This way they CYA in case you sue them for any defect in their car. Insurance companies will require OBD reader tracers and if you don't you will be uninsurable. They will have red light cameras, speeding cameras, and all types of traffic monitors in place in the name of "public safety". Don't think you won't see some or all of this take place in the next decade.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 03:13 PM   #22
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
Don't think they already don't monitor your car. This way they CYA in case you sue them for any defect in their car. Insurance companies will require OBD reader tracers and if you don't you will be uninsurable. They will have red light cameras, speeding cameras, and all types of traffic monitors in place in the name of "public safety". Don't think you won't see some or all of this take place in the next decade.
Although all of what you say sounds reasonable… there’s a lot going in behind the scenes. Automakers want self driving cars. They’ll also want to insure those cars, as well as occupants. That’s the name of the game… make fewer cars, make them self driving, charge reoccurring fees, whether you own it or the they’re managing a fleet of UBER type vehicles. I also read somewhere that there’s a lot of work happening as we speak… testing a common language whereby cars can talk to one another at any time, thus eliminating lights, stop signs accidents etc. I’m sure this is a ways out, but I’m sure the insurers can see what the “road ahead” will may look like. The future is going to be interesting, that’s for sure.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 03:56 PM   #23
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Interesting reading the particulars on the Allstate monitor and what it considers an event.
"Acceleration Event: Increases in vehicle speed greater than 8 mph per second. "

7.5 seconds to sixty is not that fast for a modern v8 ... or any electric. One may not drive like an ass#@le and still trigger that quite often, but that's a matter of opinion and we all know what opinions are like.
hell,that would be easy to trigger in a T4 or V6 camaro.i guess if you want the discount you might as well drive a camry.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 06:25 PM   #24
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
hell,that would be easy to trigger in a T4 or V6 camaro.i guess if you want the discount you might as well drive a camry.
And an I4 Camry at that. The V6 ones aren't actually too slow, either.

This is the problem, though: the cars that wouldn't be affected too much with this type of discount don't have high insurance premiums to start with.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:27 PM   #25
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
We have Allstate and only installed their tracking app on my wife's SUV. Win-win

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:49 PM   #26
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I could see this being sort of fine on a slow family car, but depending on where you live, calling them to tell them you are braking hard for a deer/pedestrian crossing a red light/car running a stop sign could get old quick, for both you and them.

And even then, there are too many variables at play. Some highways in interior BC is totally fine to do 20~30 km/h or 12~20 mph over on a hot sunny day in the summer, to the point that even cops don't care. I don't imagine those going so well with insurance, though. And what about passing on a 2-lane highway? You have to accelerate fast to a high speed to complete the overtaking as fast as possible. If conditions like weather come into play then I could see it being fair(passing on a snowy day is a no go), but I doubt they will bother making their system that competent.

Ultimately, I think this will just create the exact opposite of those car-share service drivers, whereas car-share drivers are infamous for driving too fast/aggressively to save a couple of bucks, insurance discount drivers will probably be known for driving too slow(so your stereotypical Toyota driver) for conditions for a couple of bucks. At least the car-share cars are easy to tell apart and avoid.

With that being said, I see it could be useful for people who are known for numerous previous infractions. Think of a breathalyzer ignition lock for people who have a record of DUI. But again, roads are too unpredictable for a system like this to ever be perfect.

I highly doubt GM will spend the money and effort involved to poll your GPS location at all times. That also doesn't play out PR-wise. I think they will just poll it when necessary, like when you need them to disable the car or when you need them to rescue you in a crash.

And turning off your phone location service is not too useful since it could still be traced just with local cell towers. It's less precise but it could get the job done. You could turn off the cell service but that defeats the purpose of a phone.

Honestly, if you are that concerned, you need a phone like this.

The only real reason to be concerned at all is if these services get hacked by malicious people - hence why I personally don't like signing up for new accounts just for random crap, but that doesn't seem to be your argument.

One of my favourite articles of all times is this one. Worth a read.

https://askleo.com/youre-just-not-that-interesting/

My argument is I like my privacy…I’m not concerned about cell tower tracking… that’s general information. I consciously make the decision to own a phone and I control when I carry it and turn it off and on. I want the same type of ability with my vehicle.

There may be a more up to date versions…

https://www.onstar.com/content/tcps/...tementold.html

https://techcrunch.com/2020/11/18/gm...ance-business/

Last edited by Chutzpah; 10-08-2021 at 09:07 PM.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 09:05 PM   #27
Paintslinger16
Two Lane Blacktop

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS
I wouldn’t use Allstate if someone paid my premiums, 21 years after they boned me still quite bitter
Paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 11:36 PM   #28
Mike7409

Drives: Chevy LT1, Chevy 1500, masariti GT
So not going to say it’s me who is doing this, But I know someone who put the monitor from State Farm in a 3cly Buick when it should be in the sports car he owns. They don’t use the obdii. Still get acceleration warnings and turning too fast warning. I am thinking their metrics are unrealistic at best. I say a small prayer every day driving the Buick because anything over 5 on the speed limit is a infraction and people about rear end u for going too slow. Most are doing 15 over. I figure the 280 I save on my 6month bill will pay my deductible when I get rear ended lol
Mike7409 is offline   Reply With Quote