Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-09-2021, 07:42 PM   #29
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
Yea buddy +1

Yup. Sorry. Just noticed I posted it wrong initially.

I was auto-responding to the 'bleed farthest from the master cylinder' myth that seems to persist.

Thanks for the heads-up. Glad we agree with the manual.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:45 PM   #30
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
Yup. Sorry. Just noticed I posted it wrong initially.

I was auto-responding to the 'bleed farthest from the master cylinder' myth that seems to persist.

Thanks for the heads-up. Glad we agree with the manual.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:46 PM   #31
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Quote:
I used a Motive for a few years until a friend turned me on to the MityVac.

It's more money than the Motive, but it works so much better and is absolutely invaluable for Fluid changes.

https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7201-...s%2C179&sr=1-1
How do you go about using your recommendation of bleeder?
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:36 PM   #32
MatthewAMEL

Quote:
How do you go about using your recommendation of bleeder?

The MityVac comes with hoses and ends that tightly fit over the bleed nipple on the caliper.

Loosen the cap on the reservoir, attach to the bleeder, pump the handle a few times to build vacuum and then open the bleeder. Every 30-45 seconds, pump the handle and watch the fluid in the hose.

The Motive (the other recommendation) works, but there are some caveats that drove me away...you need the correct fitting for the brake reservoir cap, you have to be careful not to over-pressurize the Motive or it will drive brake fluid out and all over your engine bay and I always found myself pumping up the Motive, going to the bleeder on the caliper, opening into another bottle for the drained fluid, and then going back to the Motive to pump it to keep positive pressure.

The MityVac is much easier because everything happens right there next to the caliper. You simply go top off the fluid between each caliper.

It's also awesome because you can do oil changes and transmission fluid changes without having to pull drain plugs. You pump them out.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
Old 03-09-2021, 08:44 PM   #33
20Bluezl1

Quote:
The MityVac comes with hoses and ends that tightly fit over the bleed nipple on the caliper.

Loosen the cap on the reservoir, attach to the bleeder, pump the handle a few times to build vacuum and then open the bleeder. Every 30-45 seconds, pump the handle and watch the fluid in the hose.

The Motive (the other recommendation) works, but there are some caveats that drove me away...you need the correct fitting for the brake reservoir cap, you have to be careful not to over-pressurize the Motive or it will drive brake fluid out and all over your engine bay and I always found myself pumping up the Motive, going to the bleeder on the caliper, opening into another bottle for the drained fluid, and then going back to the Motive to pump it to keep positive pressure.

The MityVac is much easier because everything happens right there next to the caliper. You simply go top off the fluid between each caliper.

It's also awesome because you can do oil changes and transmission fluid changes without having to pull drain plugs. You pump them out.

So your using the MityVac to suck the fluid instead of the Motive that pushes the fluid.

Snice the MityVac sucks do you happen to notice if you see false air bubbles in the hose ?
Old 03-09-2021, 09:21 PM   #34
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Quote:
Yep so I just realized that SRF is 1L and all the rest or 500ML so the price difference is not to much.

How many 1L SRF should I get to flush the old Dot 3 out?
Exactly right! SRF is maybe 50% more whereas I first thought it was 3x the price. In total, it was only roughly $20 more.
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:09 PM   #35
MatthewAMEL

Quote:
So your using the MityVac to suck the fluid instead of the Motive that pushes the fluid.

Snice the MityVac sucks do you happen to notice if you see false air bubbles in the hose ?

Yup. You see very small stream of bubbles from time to time. But as long as they are moving swiftly away from the caliper and into the tank, it's working.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
Old 03-09-2021, 10:24 PM   #36
20Bluezl1

Quote:
Yup. You see very small stream of bubbles from time to time. But as long as they are moving swiftly away from the caliper and into the tank, it's working.
I like the idea but not sure if it works correctly as I can't find reviews for brake bleeding or Youtube videos. I do see them used alot for replacing oil.

Just placed an order for the Motive and SRF.

Let's see how the Motive works if not I will.give the MityVac a try.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:53 PM   #37
MatthewAMEL

Quote:
I like the idea but not sure if it works correctly as I can't find reviews for brake bleeding or Youtube videos. I do see them used alot for replacing oil.

Just placed an order for the Motive and SRF.

Let's see how the Motive works if not I will.give the MityVac a try.
Have fun!

Be sure to get the ‘black’ series Motive. The plastic cap has a habit of flexing and losing pressure.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
Old 03-10-2021, 12:39 PM   #38
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
I personally use the Motive with an old 2L soda bottle and fill the Motive bleeder with fluid then just go around bleeding
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 02:38 PM   #39
20Bluezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
I personally use the Motive with an old 2L soda bottle and fill the Motive bleeder with fluid then just go around bleeding
So im starting to see that it's about a 50/50 on the way guys use the Motive. Some fill bottle some just pressurize it.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:02 AM   #40
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
So last year I ran Motul 660, this year I'm switching to SRF. I bought the Motive power bleeder but can we touch on the subject of knowing how much fluid to push thru each bleeder in order to know you've completely changed your fluid? I have two bottles of SRF and I don't mind using them both but I want to be sure I flush all the 660 out.
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:11 AM   #41
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post
So last year I ran Motul 660, this year I'm switching to SRF. I bought the Motive power bleeder but can we touch on the subject of knowing how much fluid to push thru each bleeder in order to know you've completely changed your fluid? I have two bottles of SRF and I don't mind using them both but I want to be sure I flush all the 660 out.
I don't think anyone really knows. You need to know the length and the inside diameter of each brake line to calculate the volume and you would also need to know the volume in each caliper. Basically bleed alot and waste alot of new to make sure you get all the old out. Suck out the master with a baster/syringe and refill with the new fluid first so you don't have to push all that old stuff in the master out too.

Then you will hear you have to activate ABS solenoids to get everything out of there, but I've never done that and you need the dealer tool for that.

Sucks to waste fluid especially the expensive SRF, but I've seen some people say that the total capacity is less than 1L and some say it's more so that is why i say just do alot

If they allowed colored fluid anymore that would be nice.
Old 03-11-2021, 12:21 PM   #42
rotis

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
For the first flush I did, I put fluid in the motive. It was nice being able to fairly quickly go around to each caliper and bleed without worrying about the master running dry. I was also a bit paranoid about it leaking and blowing fluid everywhere, so I had my kid watching the MC to be sure it didn't get out of hand.

It was a bit annoying to clean all the fluid out of the motive afterward, using denatured alcohol and then making sure it was properly dry before putting it away.

Just from the annoyance of cleaning it, I switched to using it dry without fluid. Now I just use it to pressurize the MC and pull the cap to add fluid between corners.
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote