Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-31-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Alright folks, the time has come... I'm fixin' to be in the big boy Air Force!

So the time has come... I'm about to embark on an epic journey called my career in the real Air Force!!

For those of y'all who don't know me, I signed up back in the fall of 2008 to join the USAF through their Officer Training School. That's when I got picked up to be a new Combat Systems Officer, which basically means that I'm learning a combination of the old Navigator, Electronic Warfare, and Weapons Systems positions.

As with all our boys in blue, I was introduced to the military through the eyes of the wonderful Air Education & Training Command. Mine was Basic Officer Training at Maxwell AFB in June of 2010 (yeah... a year & a half wait) followed by commissioning as a butterbar that September. As I fumbled through my first PCS to sunny Pensacola, FL to go hang out with the Navy, I got to do lots of various admin jobs while I waited on the brand new training program to spin up. I went back to Maxwell for a few weeks for that glorious (and now non-existent) ASBC followed by Pueblo, CO for my first experience flying for the Air Force in Initial Flight Screening (which couldn't've come at a better time: seriously... who, when living on the Gulf Coast, wouldn't rather spend all the spring break weeks in the CO desert?). That was followed by water survival training & then finally, last May, I started my CSO training. Fast forward 11 months of academics, T-6 instrument & low-level flights, navigation & weapons simulators, T-1 instrument & low-level flights, more weapons simulators, and finally campaign planning - here I am... two weeks from graduation, and my class just got our airframe assignments last night!!

Ever since the first day of class when our Group/CC asked us what we wanted, my first choice has been the B-1 bomber. Even since I was a kid, I've always wanted go fast & blow stuff up, so this or the F-15E were my two best bets (well... also the F-111, but that's been retired). Well folks, after a ton of butt-bustin, countless hours studying & mission planning - trying to be the best I could, the time has come to see where I'm going to be spending the next few years of my career (finally outside of the extra-crazy-stipulation mentality of AETC schooling). So we threw this giant party down at the Officers' Club (that I swear we always have more AF guys than Navy there) to reveal our assignments. For our class as a whole, we had a fantastic drop! Most of us actually got one of our top three choices & the few who didn't got something along the lines of what would help accomplish life/career goals for their families. Our Flight/CC really hooked us up! Well... now for the most exciting news (from my perspective anyway...) - what I'm going to...

THE B-1!!!!!!!
I'm headed out to Dyess AFB in Abilene, TX!! This is a complete dream come true!! I thank God so much for taking care of me & helping me to stay motivated to be the best I could be which has obviously paid off because assignments to these jets have been pretty scarce lately due to some other people transferring there from other aircraft. We were told to not really expect any, but we ended up getting TWO (one for me & one for an F-15 hopeful that they didn't have any 15s left for)!!

I want to give a big THANKS to my Camaro5 friends who've supported me along the way & been voices of insight to the military, reason for tough situations, and hope when I thought it was gonna be too hard. Thank you!!

Now the next chapter of my career is about to start - I just gotta make it two more weeks so I can pin some shiny wings on my chest!
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Good Job!!!

knowing the state of things today, add some insult to injury when you drop some "cargo" by rubbin it with bacon grease
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Holy Cow Z...

Congratulations !!

Man, you have GOT TO BE PUMPED !!!

To be able to get the airframe you wish for in todays military environment is pretty darn awesome. Good for you.

Years ago I did work on the B-1B and B-2. Mostly EW stuff. Have pictures out at Edwards for the B-1 and a 'special' location for the B-2. Have been in the ****pits of both. Damn I'm envious. That B-1 is a kick-ass aircraft. Go break a sound barrier or two.

Do us proud... :flag2:
Attached Images

Last edited by speedster; 03-31-2012 at 06:30 PM.
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
Good Job!!!

knowing the state of things today, add some insult to injury when you drop some "cargo" by rubbin it with bacon grease
mmmm... bacon grease! great for cooking with, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Holy Cow Z...

Congratulations !!

Man, you have GOT TO BE PUMPED !!!

To be able to get the airframe you wish for in todays military environment is pretty darn awesome. Good for you.

Years ago I did work on the B-1B and B-2. Mostly EW stuff. Have pictures out at Edwards for the B-1 and a 'special' location for the B-2. Have been in the ****pits of both. Damn I'm envious. That B-1 is a kick-ass aircraft. Go break a sound barrier or two.

Do us proud... :flag2:
thanks, Bruce! and without great innovators like you, we sure wouldn't have the great equipment we use today

i got to play around inside a Bone last summer when one stopped by for the weekend but never been in a B2. i do wish i coulda been in that extra seat - that'd be fun.

you're right - i'm so EXCITED!! i only wish i had video of the ruckus i caused when they showed my slide! it was unreal.

so is that boat lineup about ready to go?
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Congrats on the assignment.....

Wow, I'm way too old to even wish for a flight in something like that... but maybe I can live vicariously through the allowed comments occasionally....

Good Luck and Good Hunting...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:35 PM   #6
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Congrats again Jason!!!

Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #7
yzrider58
Aviation guru

Drives: 10 1SS, 09 Acadia, 90 K1500 Z-71
Congrats dude. I got two buddies who fly those out of Ellsworth and they love flying the bone. I didn't even know any B-1's were left in Texas. I grew up watching B-1's and B-52's and wish I could have passed the flight medical. Your a lucky guy to train and fly in the Air Force. Tear it up out there and good luck.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #8
Majic
Majic

Drives: 2018 1LT Black...V6
Congrats Jason. With me being with the F-15 for 30 years I was on that page for you but the B1 is good. I watched it during initial testing out of Palmdale and Edwards back in the 80's. I really liked watching the fighters they used for "chase".....My first fighter...the F-106!! It was the only thing that had the "legs" and speed to stay with the B1!!

Rick
"MAJIC"
2014 2SS/RS.
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #9
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Sweet!! My brother is an Air Force Acadamy graduate but the best he could get was T-38s as an instructor. It was that or the big buses - C-5, C-141 etc and he wasn't too interested in those.

Enjoy your new ride!!!! Share some of the fun with us will ya?
Old 04-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
Sparkey

Drives: jkelly's wrench
Congrats Jason, glad you got what you wanted. I'm sure you will be successful in your career. Dyess is, well, not the garden spot of Tx, but not the worst place to hang out at. I spent several years in Witicha Falls and a couple of time a year, we would get dust storms the started from out that way, then it would start raining...red mud. I'd recommend a keeping car cover in the trunk just in case. Good luck Bro.
Sparkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
acatlover13
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro IOM/IO
Send a message via AIM to acatlover13 Send a message via Skype™ to acatlover13
Go Jason, Go Jason... It's your birthday! Your birthday into your new career!! Congrats and best of luck to you!
acatlover13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #12
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Congrats Again Jason
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #13
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Congrats man! Glad to see that things are going the way you want them to!
Old 04-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #14
Dr. Evil

Drives: 2013 SS
Congrats! Its just as well you didnt go to the 15s, the best fighters in the Air Force operate on the ground anyways

<---(says the Security Forces TSgt).

Seriously though, congrats.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote