Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-15-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Lincoln MKS....Ford why must you hurt me so?

The new Lincoln MKS has a 3.7 V6 engine that produces 270hp and 265 ft-lbs of torque. For those of you who don't know, Lincoln is the luxury brand for Ford.

http://media.ford.com/products/press...8C75EA646E1238

This is yet another V6 that has a power rating that is quickly closing in on the Ford Modular 4.6L V8....and it is made by Ford themselves!

Sure GM has a stronger V6 for their Cadillacs. That is all well and good, but I really am getting tired of my underpowered 4.6L 3V. Well it isn't so underpowered now, but I had to modify....

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:48 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
What exactly does it mean, 'Modular'...is that the name, or what....

But, yeah. It's poor to have such a bad V8 in your Premier Car. Yes, Mustang is what I think of when I hear 'Ford'.

And I really find it really hard to believe that that is all Ford can offer. Mark my words, they've got something up their sleeves for Mustang in a couple years. I just have that funny feeling.....
Old 11-15-2007, 01:02 PM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
What exactly does it mean, 'Modular'...is that the name, or what....

But, yeah. It's poor to have such a bad V8 in your Premier Car. Yes, Mustang is what I think of when I hear 'Ford'.

And I really find it really hard to believe that that is all Ford can offer. Mark my words, they've got something up their sleeves for Mustang in a couple years. I just have that funny feeling.....
Yes, the 'mod' is what they call their current generation of V8's, similar in concept to the LS engines.

And I'm sure that they will up the power of their mustang. but consider the fact that the 4.6 in the stang is about 3/4 the size of the LS2 and LS3, and makes 3/4 the power. Or just supercharge their current engine and they will be in the 400-450 range without much trouble.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:13 PM   #4
Rock36
I just like V8s

True 4.6L isn't a whole lot of displacement, but there are a lot of cars that squeeze a lot more power out of similar displacements.

Of course they are all expensive luxury oriented cars, but a lot of power can be made from 4.0L-5.0L of displacement.

I am sure Ford will come up with something, but I was raised on GM. My parents had two 2nd gen camaros growing up.

Hell my mother had a 1973 Trans Am 455SD when she graduated from high school. I really am jealous of that!

Old 11-15-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
The truly sad thing is that the MKS is FWD, and they stated they intend for it to compete against the CTS and STS. Uhhh yeah sure.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:19 PM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Interesting thing about Lincoln is that it was founded by a man who sold Cadilac to General Motors. And Cadilac was created from the scraps of the Henry Ford Company when Ford and several partners left. The early days of the automotive industry were strange.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:19 PM   #7
stevenm357

Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
it's kind of ugly too... but seriously their 4.6 is totally underpowerded hell when competing against the F-bodys they had more than 50 less HP..

Lets talk about GT500.. still a floating rear axle... the only muscle car that still handles like shit .. couldn't they have done some good upgrades to keep the wheels on the ground.. $20,000 for more HP and not much better handling.

2001 Corvette
Heads,Big cam, 4:11, Custom Exhaust, MGW Shifter Baer Eradispeed +2 2 pieces rotors, Hotchkiss swaybars. and a few other little things.

1998 Trans Am A4 ( was STS turbo until the turbo and oil pump died)

2000 WS6 Trans AM under the knife ( sadly turned into long term project.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:52 PM   #8
Rock36
I just like V8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenm357 View Post
Lets talk about GT500.. still a floating rear axle... the only muscle car that still handles like shit .. couldn't they have done some good upgrades to keep the wheels on the ground.. $20,000 for more HP and not much better handling.
Yeah the and they are still commonly going for $5000 over MSRP. Maybe you can find one or two 07s that will go MSRP to clear them off of lots, but still.

As for the Lincoln. It won't compete with Cadillac very well. I am just frustrated that V6s are closing in quickly on how powerful my V8 was when it was stock. So not cool.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:21 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Um....uh-oh?

Quote:
Ford showed a new flagship sedan for its Lincoln line, the MKS. During the keynote speech at a press breakfast, Alan Mulally, Ford’s president, outlined a “blueprint for sustainability” initiative that Ford is undertaking between now and 2020. Over the next three years, he said, Ford will begin cutting engine sizes and using turbochargers and direct fuel injection to improve power and economy. Then, from 2012 to 2020, Ford plans to put its cars on diets that will trim 250 to 750 pounds. Beyond that, he said Ford would aggressively pursue plug-in electric and fuel-cell technologies.