Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

AWE Tuning

Old 04-03-2017, 05:38 PM   #1
sfzobie

Drives: -
Modify rear seat

I just purchased my 1LE to use for work, and I have to carry long thin boxes which will require my back seat to fold down. The big issue I have is that I will on occasion have to pick up my two year old from daycare and bring her back home. I know car seats in the front are illegal (or at the very least highly discouraged because of the airbag), which would mean transferring my boxes to either the front seat, or unloading my car then going to pick her up. Here are two ideas and would like some input. Since there is only point of fixation for the seats in the middle, creating a split folding seat isn't probably going to work.

Option 1:
Buy a similar seat back from wrecker/ebay and take to upholstery shop to basically remove all the seat foam except for the seat behind the passenger, and have them stitch it up leaving the center and drivers side blank, then I could cut a hole in that space, which would allow my boxes to fit behind my seat, and the car seat would remain attached to the seat behind the passengers seat. I've seen a few for $300 on ebay, but that's for the whole set, so I could probably source it cheaper if I look around, and I could just put my existing seat into a few construction bags and reinstall when I am ready to sell.

Option 2:
Buy the rear seat delete kit, but only install the seat back portion then cut the same hole to allow for access. The backside of the car seat is rigid, and it attaches to the anchor points on the seat bottom and one on the shelf. It could actually be more secure this way since there is no foam variable for the car seatback to move around on.

Obviously ensuring the safety of the baby is paramount, and option 1 seems like it makes the most sense since there would be no modification to where the car seat is positioned. Again, since this is only for infrequent use, but it would be very practical for my application since I need to have these boxes in the car on a daily basis.

Thanks
sfzobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:34 PM   #2
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Just my opinion but I would not go cutting up a brand new interior. Especially on a 1LE. That just seems wrong...LOL.

What about putting the car seat behind you on the drivers side and then laying the boxes on the passenger side...from front to the back seat? Would that be enough room for them. If it's only once in a while. I have my sons seat behind me and it fits just fine.
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:41 PM   #3
sfzobie

I suppose that's a option, but I wouldn't want to drive around all day with these boxes next to me, and just to be clear, I wouldn't be cutting my seat, I would buy a cheap gen6 seat and modify that so that my seat would remain new. I don't care if it's cloth, as the only seat portion will be covered by the car seat.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2017, 06:56 PM   #4
pjz1082

I assumed it would only be a short trip picking your child up and bringing her home so you wouldn't need to drive around all day with them like that. You could just keep the car seat in the truck until you need it (that's what i do with one of mine). Install it for a bit and then take it back out. Might be a little annoying but for me, I'd still rather have a normal interior. Maybe just try it and see. If it doesn't work than go the other route of modifying the rear seat.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:52 AM   #5
Alex00

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 2SS
Instead of buying the rear seat delete and cutting it, you could make a panel out of plywood that covers the area behind the car seat. Depending on your tools and comfort level you could probably make it yourself then wrap it in automotive carpet. If it's not something you can do yourself I bet the custom stereo shops or the upholstery shop could make the panel for less than the cost of the rear seat delete kit.

But I do like the idea of the custom seat back cut and reupholstered. It sounds expensive but would look pretty good. You could try to have them split the back and come up with an alternate latch for the driver side so you could have a full seat back when the boxes weren't in the car. Velcro might even work to hold it in place.
Alex00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:20 PM   #6
sfzobie

I think I can source an extra seat back for about $200 and can't imagine it would cost a whole lot to have shop cut and sew the seat portion then leave the other section blank. I could then fabricate a door with hinges and a latch so that if I don't have anything I can fold it up out of site. I'm searching the used part sites to see if anyone has just a seatback that I can play with. I think it would be a cool project and while I could make something out of plywood, I think securing it would be the main issue. I don't want to modify the car, which is why I think using another seatback is the easiest solution.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #7
pjz1082

If you get it done, please post some pictures. Would be cool to see. Good luck!