#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-07-2023, 01:53 PM   #1
Camaro'd

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Stiffer Springs on SG3 Suspension

Hi,

I've been running with the SG3 suspension (with the GM sways) for the past few years on a 2018 SS running a 285 square setup on 10" rims. Even with a sticky tire such as GY 3R's, the suspension never hit the bump stops during cornering at the track when hitting undulations/bumps.

This past summer, I upgraded to 11" rims which provided enough additional grip so that I do begin to bounce off the bump stops in certain conditions - not a nice feeling!!

My question is anybody gone to a stiffer spring set on the SG3 suspension? Would a stiffer spring like BMR overjuice the SG3 shocks and struts?

Thanks!

Last edited by Camaro'd; 11-07-2023 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Typos
Camaro'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 08:04 AM   #2
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Stiffer springs will not "overjuice" the dampers. That's an old wives tales. The dampers may not control the sprung mass of the car ideally with the stiffer springs, but it's hard to know exactly how it would handle without knowing the actual damping rates of your dampers and the spring rates you're contemplating.

My question is, what stiffer springs are you going to install? There is virtually nothing out there on the market that is significantly stiffer.
Old 11-14-2023, 01:51 PM   #3
Camaro'd

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
I was looking at BMR springs. I talked with them a few years ago before I bought the SG3 setup. They had the spring rates for that kit and the BMR springs were, if I recall, about 50LBS above the SG3s.

I've scrapped the idea of going with stiffer springs and have talked with Vorschlag about TT2 coilovers. The SG3 is a great suspension setup, and If I was running a 200TW tire on 285's, it was perfect. With the added grip of 305's, the car begins to pogo/wallow a bit during high speed sweepers that have bumps/dips. And by a bit, i really mean a bit - the car does not feel unstable, I jut don't like the motion at those speeds.

In short, I should have got a 1LE back in 2018
Camaro'd is offline   Reply With Quote