Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-02-2018, 04:09 PM   #29
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisd View Post
*sigh*

https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatur...ers-explained/

https://www.torquecars.com/articles/...ne-ratings.php

https://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/in...20is%20octane?

I don't know why people keep insisting that Canada measures octane differently when it's easy to find plenty of sources to put that myth to bed. It's not hard.
I’m not insisting they measure Octane differently, I’m saying that there is more to it than that, for example my understanding is that Petro Canada has an additive to their 94 Octane which makes it better than Chevrons, why according to a few Tuners, Chevrons 94 doesn’t seem to perform much better than Shells 91 Octane is beyond me ( i’ve heard some people say the 94 octane gas sits too long at chevron and other people say it is the Ethanol in the shell gas ) but you should be asking reputable tuners these questions and not American car buyers who buy and use American gas on a predominantly American forum...

I’m not an expert on this but this is what I have found and I think you’d be wise to look into it further instead of looking for information in the places you have been. I’d be interested to hear what you find out from other Tuners.
Keep me posted if you like and thanks for sending those links regarding Octane calculation.

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 10-02-2018 at 04:57 PM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:49 PM   #30
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Octane measured the same in both countries, end of story. Additives pertain to the detergent properties of different brands of gasoline, not octane, which is what the OP was inquiring about.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:30 PM   #31
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
Octane measured the same in both countries, end of story. Additives pertain to the detergent properties of different brands of gasoline, not octane, which is what the OP was inquiring about.
I see, are you one of those reputable tuners I was talking about? Are you someone who lives in canada and knows Canadian gasoline with first hand experience? I guess you are right and Ted Jannetty is wrong because you’ve asked Tuners this question before?
My guess is no, no and no.

The OP asked about the effects of the different octanes of Canadian gasoline in BC where he lives,the key words being “where he lives”.

You really think there is nothing else added to or left out of gasoline that impacts its Performace and that it is all in octane rating??? I don’t believe you really believe that.

Like I said before, go talk to somebody who actually tunes cars and then let me know what you find out, I’m open to finding out information that contradicts what I’ve found so far but not if it’s just someone’s opinion on the forum who doesn’t even live in Canada and use Canadian gas, isn’t a tuner and hasn’t talked to a reputable Tuner about this exact topic; gasoline in canada.

theorizing and making assumptions about Canadian gasoline on the west coast doesn’t make sense when you can donsome research on it instead, if you do, I’ll be happy to hear what you’ve found and add it to what I’ve found. Maybe you’ll even be able to change my mind, I’m happy to learn something new as long as it has some good evidence and it has sound reasoning behind it...

Cheers

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 10-04-2018 at 11:32 AM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:18 AM   #32
Oil Man

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2018 ZL1 A10 (RIPx2)
It may give you some additional peace of mind to know that many refiners blend their premium as much as a full point higher than advertised, to be certain that any eventuality that sees premium fuel mixed with a small quantity of regular unleaded, in the truck or storage tank, results in a retail product that has at least the advertised octane rating.

In fact, a refinery operator that runs blends at his location told me that their actual spec is 92 octane at the truck rack, where tanker trucks are filled.
Oil Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:58 PM   #33
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Man View Post
It may give you some additional peace of mind to know that many refiners blend their premium as much as a full point higher than advertised, to be certain that any eventuality that sees premium fuel mixed with a small quantity of regular unleaded, in the truck or storage tank, results in a retail product that has at least the advertised octane rating.

In fact, a refinery operator that runs blends at his location told me that their actual spec is 92 octane at the truck rack, where tanker trucks are filled.
Hmmmm so that might help explain why some Tuners say there is a difference in performance between fuels with the same reported octane, interesting...
Old 11-25-2018, 10:49 PM   #34
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
I found a test done on a Subura WRX from back in 2013, this is what they found and it was a big diffference...

The first series of tests were conducted at equal boost and ignition timing values with no knock detected.

Test 1 - US Chevron 92 octane:
We did 7 back to back dyno runs with which varied from 170-172whp.

Test 2 - CDN Chevron 94 octane:
We did another 8 back to back runs which varied from 162-164whp.

Surprisingly that's around a 5% difference in power at the same boost level and ignition timing value. Another interesting fact was that the US 92 ran slightly leaner than our 94 which must of contributed to the power gain.

This test didn't tell us anything about the detonation resistance of our 94 versus the US 92 but interesting data none the less. We will be conducting more tests down the road and will be posting the results under this section.

The guys over in Eastern Canada are able to run 4-5 degrees more timing than what I can run on Chevron 94.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:28 AM   #35
Frisbey

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Nightfall Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisd View Post
I'm planning to get a 2019 (trading in my '16 SS) and am contemplating a ZL1. My main reason (other than price, hah) for not getting one is the octane requirement. Where I live (Vancouver, BC) Chevron is the only gas station that has 94. Everywhere else tops out at 91. That's tolerable, I can work with that. The problem is, once I leave the city for the barren wilds (lol) of BC, it can be a long way between Chevrons, and it could limit where I can go.

So, long story short: Is it possible to have the car re-tuned to safely run on 91 even with spirited driving, without voiding the warranty?

I've not really seen any conclusion to the "is it safe to run 91 octane regularly, and drive hard?" question, so it seems like the only really safe option would be a retune?
Lewisd,

First of all, BUY THE ZL1!
You won’t regret it
Certainly worth a little extra fueling efforts.

Lucas octane boost, race gas octane boost etc.
https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-100...octane+booster

It’s an easy fix, just pour in a bottle per tank.
or, hop the border from time to time for the good stuff,
Just kidding, sort of.

Re-tuning a ZL1, that voids you warranty too, so not a good idea.

Bottom line,
Don’t let this stop you from buying a ZL1
It’s worth it.
2000 - 02/06/18 | 4300 - 02/20/18 Built
3000 - 02/07/18 | 5000 - 03/08/18 At Dealer
3100 - 02/09/18 | Delivered
Frisbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:59 PM   #36
itsadryheat79

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE (2)79Z28 72RS 67SS 69Z
Send a message via Yahoo to itsadryheat79
Talking

In AZ we only have 91 available at the pumps.

I've been using 91 on all my late model Camaros that required Premium fuel.
2010 2SS - over 80K miles worry free
2010 RSS/SS - over 70K miles worry free
2012 ZL1 - over 80K miles worry free
2018 ZL1 1LE - over 16K miles worry free
--- Lots of tires oil and stuff was used to test the AZ gas.

If you keep it stock premium at the pump is fine.
If you mod the car for performance the best thing to do is tune it.
-- Some folks wait till their warrantee expires before they tune.
-- If you play you have to pay.... just like beer know your limitations.