Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #1
rfm4000

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE SIM
Tire repairable yes or no?

dealership says needs to be replaced, im thinking otherwise, but im ordering 1 tire anyway
has 5500 miles on it, do I need one or 2 fronts?
Attached Images

rfm4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:19 PM   #2
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Daily or more demanding?

For daily I would patch, no problem.

Track or AutoX, replace.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:07 PM   #3
full*throttle*therapy

Drives: '18 RH ZL1 1LE
I just went through the same thing except I had 1200m on mine. I had it patched, but then had them put a new tire on it anyways ( I did an HPDE event that weekend).
check your tread depth and make sure you're within acceptable deviation.

I am keeping my old tire RR, and have a line on another one (LR) that was patched that I will keep for later (ab)use. Line lock testing officer, factory option dontchyaknow.
full*throttle*therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:07 PM   #4
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfm4000 View Post

dealership says needs to be replaced, im thinking otherwise, but im ordering 1 tire anyway
has 5500 miles on it, do I need one or 2 fronts?
That is in the side wall technically and needs to be replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullivantire
As stated previously (image above), if a puncture from a nail or other objects is outside of the puncture repair area, the tire can't be repaired safely.

The repairs are limited to the middle, or "crown" area of the tire only. The crown is defined as the center of the tread, approximately 1 to 1.5 inches in from each shoulder. For most tires, the puncture repair area can also be defined by the first major groove on both shoulders.

A tire's belt package provides strength and rigidity to the tread area of a tire, and is the only part of the tire that can accept a repair.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:56 PM   #5
Wierd Harold

Drives: 2017 2lt rs
Patch it give it a try ,not going to explode
Wierd Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:40 PM   #6
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Some shops will, some won't. The reaming tool makes the hole worse. You may need to be ready with about 16oz of green slime in case it starts leaking again. Then replace the tire when you can afford to or want to
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:17 PM   #7
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wierd Harold View Post
Patch it give it a try ,not going to explode
Bring it to Discount/Americas Tire. If it can be fixed, they will, and only make the safe call. FYI, I drove on a repaired Hankook RS3 that I used for track and autox - repaired at Discount (plug and patch). Those tires went to a buddy who used them for fun at track days a year after. No issues at all. The repaire was real close to where the main tread starts to curve into the sidewall. Still the “repairable area”, but the Discount guys told me to monitor pressure and if it starts to leak, replace it. Otherwise, run it.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:24 AM   #8
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I can't see any shop repairing that, it's the sidewall.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:12 AM   #9
GrimReaperSS

Drives: 2001 Onyx Black/Ebony SS. 427/M6
The image posted by Boost Creep is from the U.S. Tire Manufacturers Association (ustires.org). As a tech for the last 16 years, I would not patch that tire, wouldnt want my name attached to that repair order. Could you patch it? Sure
Should you patch it? No. The problem is where the nail/screw is... the patch or plug-n-patch is larger than the area of that puncture. The repair will cover the curve of the tire and as you drive that section flexes over bumps and turns. This will constantly work that patch back and forth eventually making it let go. Also, that tire has the highest speed rating available, but once punctured/repaired, that rating no longer applies. What it falls to I dont know, but not anywhere near the sustain speeds its rated for.
GrimReaperSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:42 PM   #10
HackSaw

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Agree to close to the side. I just had one repaired but it was almost in the middle and thru the thickest part
HackSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:59 PM   #11
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
I am gonna say NO as well. A little too close to the sidewall for my as well. I would replace both rear tires. You dont want to run a new tire and a 5500 mile tire. The tread difference is enough to eventually cause wear issues with the diff clutches.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:15 PM   #12
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
For what it's worth, I have a patch in almost the SAME exact spot in one of my rear tires, they did a patch, it's held air for 4 months and 2k miles now, plus a track day and a canyon run. No problems.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:33 PM   #13
meyouand987.2

Drives: 2011 Cayman R 2017 1LE
I have tracked F1 Eagle's with multiple plugs in that area. If one lets go, it's just a leak, not a "kaboom" plug it and go on.
meyouand987.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:00 PM   #14
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReaperSS View Post
The image posted by Boost Creep is from the U.S. Tire Manufacturers Association (ustires.org). As a tech for the last 16 years, I would not patch that tire, wouldnt want my name attached to that repair order. Could you patch it? Sure
Should you patch it? No. The problem is where the nail/screw is... the patch or plug-n-patch is larger than the area of that puncture. The repair will cover the curve of the tire and as you drive that section flexes over bumps and turns. This will constantly work that patch back and forth eventually making it let go. Also, that tire has the highest speed rating available, but once punctured/repaired, that rating no longer applies. What it falls to I dont know, but not anywhere near the sustain speeds its rated for.
Same as RMA it seems. When I was a tech, I seem to remember a wider repair area. Have they moved more conservative for decreased liability?
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote