Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-27-2015, 12:58 AM   #1
zkattac

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS Camaro
Throttle Controller Dangers?

Im tempted to get one, but there has to be a reason there's a delay between us pushing the pedal and the motor responding. Maybe it's calculating air, fuel, etc needed? And what about if you have a tune on your engine and transmission could the instant throttle response mess with the tune?
Like I'm said im tempted but I'd like to hear some definitive information to convince me.
zkattac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:02 AM   #2
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 2014 2LT A6 'Vert
How much more information do you want to see? Like any other mod you have to weigh the choices to do it or not. What about getting it tuned? Maybe there is danger in doing that? What about motor work like replacing the cam? Air intake? Tires? Gears? All of those are performance mods that people do to change the way the car responds, and the VTC is just another one of those mods.

Possible next mods:
Throttle Body
Exhaust

Upstate C5 Member

No, that is not me in the avatar..... I just love hot girls and hot cars.... or hot girls IN hot cars....
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:14 AM   #3
FilibustaRhymes

Drives: SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkattac View Post
Im tempted to get one, but there has to be a reason there's a delay between us pushing the pedal and the motor responding. Maybe it's calculating air, fuel, etc needed? And what about if you have a tune on your engine and transmission could the instant throttle response mess with the tune?
Like I'm said im tempted but I'd like to hear some definitive information to convince me.
I haven't tried the controller myself, but keep in mind that the factory tuning is done with the general public in mind. That tip-in on the throttle is because you don't want every yahoo with a V8 and a heavy foot to have the kind of power on tap that comes from the factory in modern performance cars.

There are also concerns with stress on driveline parts, etc. There are a lot of reasons why the car is tuned the way it is from the factory but you could make the same argument against any mod.

I've seen some interesting counterpoints against the use of the throttle controller. I'm holding off for now, seeing how they work out for other folks.
FilibustaRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:18 AM   #4
HeritageLS

Drives: 2012 1LS Camaro (Victory Red)
Take the precautions necessary to protect a car, maintain oil changes, and don't push a car to its limits all the time. My rationale for my mods. I'll keep smiling until my reasoning fails me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HeritageLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:29 AM   #5
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
My tuner tells me GM has some built in safety parameters built into the OS surrounding the TB opening rate (I'm paraphrasing him). What I took his comments to mean were it prevents you from getting sideways. Others have mentioned that these TBs don't flow well off idle so I imagine the DTC just opens the blade wider faster. The down side I see would be the blade being open too far to early and hurting performance, sort of like putting a Holley Dominator on a street small block. It would actually lower the velocity of the intake charge, but based on user's feedback, I doubt there is a lot of that going on.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:31 AM   #6
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
With the Vitesse controller you have 9 settings to choose from that increase throttle response, you can experiment with it and see what setting you feel most comfortable with in everyday driving. I usually run my V6 on SP5. It takes the sluggish feeling out without being too fast making it dangerous.
Mostly the factory tune is for emissions and fuel mileage. I really doubt it's for reliability reasons. These cars are pretty reliable at stock HP and torque. Adding power is when I would start worrying about reliability.
Again I say find a setting you are comfortable with for everyday driving. Then when you want to play you can bump it up higher if you want.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:52 AM   #7
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
As I've stated in several other VTC threads, my theory is the factory lag in response (and it's only like a second) is there to allow the computer to analyze the traction control and stabilitrack requirements based on the anticipated acceleration depending on how much the go-pedal is being mashed. If there was no lag, a hard start would spin the tires immediately... before the TC/ST system could react to prevent it. That is the only potential "danger" of the VTC, but it's one of those driver responsibilities that one must exercise.

But it's just my theory.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:03 AM   #8
Carls2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS/RS M6
I used the "computer" in my head to make those calculations. When we had
Mechanical throttle linkage , it didn't seem to be a problem then.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:14 AM   #9
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carls2SS View Post
I used the "computer" in my head to make those calculations. When we had
Mechanical throttle linkage , it didn't seem to be a problem then.
I was trying to experiment with the launch control at the track just to see how it would do, but it seems to be too much a PITA to deal with. Then when I use a 26" DR, all the nannies hate it. Some things are better left to the end user.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:34 AM   #10
AKA-22

Drives: ELLE-1
Quote:

dude just dont get it ,its not for you .....
Old 04-27-2015, 09:54 AM   #11
BkinBlk

Drives: 2015 2LT RS
Just remember....no modification is dangerous. With that being said, it is the person behind the wheel and their foot on the gas peddle, and their ability, or lack there of, that can be dangerous. I just installed the VTC and love it. No company would be allowed to make a dangerous product. Ever modification is done to enhance the vehicle. I can put 1000 hp in a car and it will do NOTHING until I turn the key and mash the gas....how I handle it is up to me. Just my two cents.
BkinBlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:19 PM   #12
KR4545

Drives: 2012 2SS
"No company would be allowed to make a dangerous product."
That's not at all true.
KR4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #13
HeritageLS

Drives: 2012 1LS Camaro (Victory Red)
Throttle Controller Dangers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4545 View Post
"No company would be allowed to make a dangerous product."
That's not at all true.

I 2nd that. Everyone is looking to make a dollar but reputable and reliable companies don't intentionally make dangerous parts for the sake of their business...and for some, morality reasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HeritageLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:38 PM   #14
Wiseman654

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LT
While I agree with No company would be allowed to make a dangerous product being false, but most companies are not INTENTIONALLY going to create a product that will break/harm/hurt your vehicle or yourself. It isn't exactly good business to break the device it is put on.

Then again people are shady individuals. Businesses are just collections of these people.
Wiseman654 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
throttle controller dangers