Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-18-2018, 03:42 PM   #393
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
That's not a good thing? Corvette as a supercar for a fraction of the price? The C8 is going to be scary
Well, that is exactly what will be lost. I alway loved that Vette never got the full blown supercar status, cost hundreds of thousands less and could still run with many of them. That will all be lost with this car. It will be just another over priced large piece of Jewelry for basketball players and tech geeks. Everything American will be lost with it as many other things these days.

Im not arguing that it will be the best performance car GM has ever built. Im sure it will. I just wont be a Vette to matter what emblem goes on it.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:17 PM   #394
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I think as long as it stays affordable it will be a huge win.

What does worry me and others is that it might no longer be America's sports car and no longer affordable to the average joe
Corvette certainly offers levels of performance at a much lesser cost than some of the cars it competes with, but I struggle to agree the Corvette can be had by just any average Joe. Typical buyers are either young (no kids) making more money than is typical for their age, middle aged with kids but making lots of money (enough that a basically un-used car taking up space in a garage in the house is no big deal) or later in life, kids pretty much gone, and in a place in life where you can afford some of the "finer" things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
..It will be just another over priced large piece of Jewelry for basketball players and tech geeks. Everything American will be lost with it as many other things these days. ...
I don't understand why everyone thinks it HAS to cost lots more than the current Corvette. It doesn't.

Now I'm sure the top dog version may be the most expensive Corvette we've ever seen. But why does the base version with a standard naturally aspirated V8 have to cost significantly more than today's 55 - 60K Corvette?

Since it appears that the front engine Corvette might live on while the mid engine version comes online, perhaps the mid engine will be the premium, top end Corvette and expensive....only. But if GM plans to ever drop the front engine car, you can bet that cheaper, lower tier models will come, and they should fall right in line to about what you'd pay for a Corvette now days. (price inflation adjusted of course lol)
Old 06-18-2018, 04:28 PM   #395
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I have asked many times what makes everyone so certain a mid engine Corvette will be substantially more money than the C7, yet I have never received an answer.

I do not see Chevrolet abandoning the segment and losing out on the sales the Corvette generates. I see them advancing the Corvette brand.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:32 PM   #396
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Corvette certainly offers levels of performance at a much lesser cost than some of the cars it competes with, but I struggle to agree the Corvette can be had by just any average Joe. Typical buyers are either young (no kids) making more money than is typical for their age, middle aged with kids but making lots of money (enough that a basically un-used car taking up space in a garage in the house is no big deal) or later in life, kids pretty much gone, and in a place in life where you can afford some of the "finer" things.

I don't understand why everyone thinks it HAS to cost lots more than the current Corvette. It doesn't.

Now I'm sure the top dog version may be the most expensive Corvette we've ever seen. But why does the base version with a standard naturally aspirated V8 have to cost significantly more than today's 55 - 60K Corvette?

Since it appears that the front engine Corvette might live on while the mid engine version comes online, perhaps the mid engine will be the premium, top end Corvette and expensive....only. But if GM plans to ever drop the front engine car, you can bet that cheaper, lower tier models will come, and they should fall right in line to about what you'd pay for a Corvette now days. (price inflation adjusted of course lol)
My feeling is that with going the supercar route they will be expecting supercar money. Plus these kind of cars are typically more costly to build. Who knows. For me, more than the cost, the American is lost no matter what. That fact that we kick your ass in our own way not doing what everyone else does. The Corvette has to be just about the most recognizable car ever produced. It will be ashame to see it blend in and get confused with all the other highend cars out there.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:32 PM   #397
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I have asked many times what makes everyone so certain a mid engine Corvette will be substantially more money than the C7, yet I have never received an answer.

I do not see Chevrolet abandoning the segment and losing out on the sales the Corvette generates. I see them advancing the Corvette brand.

Just think... the brand survived the 1975, 165 HP days to become a world class supercar. Amazing

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:33 PM   #398
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post

Well I think it's more so a worry that Corvette will price it higher not because they have to..but because they want to. If all in the cost to produce a mid-engine C8 is say..$40,000 or so...that they would then charge $80,000 just because it was now a much more advanced and 'exclusive car'...

Aka the road Cadillac took.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:44 PM   #399
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Cadillac took that road because they thought it would make the brand more desirable. The Corvette is already desirable.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:09 PM   #400
Quinten_33

Drives: Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
It still was a front engine sport car that was no mistaking corvette with anyother car on the planet. This will blend in with the rest of them. Im not the only one that feels this way either. Sorry just my feelings. I keep seeing these renderings and if that is what its going to be, I will never supoort it. Call it something else maybe, but its no longer a Vette.

Oh, and I dont need a history lesson on where the different model of Corrvette stylings came from. I know all the Stories. Every single generation would have never needed to have an emblem on them to know they were Corvettes. They better offer this with a big white windshield sticker that says Corvette so people will know what it is. Im sure it will be great performance wise. Well, a lot of cars are these days. This car will also be unattainable for most people making it even less of a Corvette. Corvettes alway cost more, but were still with in reach for many people. This will be a one percenter car. I really cant understand people cheering on what it happening to them these days. I guess they dont even see it. Lol

Im thinking maybe I need to change directions here. Instead of looking for a ZL1. I better find a C7 Z06 ,so I can have the last real Vette.
These renderings are very accurate, but they will look plain in comparison to the press release photos of the real deal. And we all know that press releases never give the full effect of a car’s design, so you’ll be surprised. Tadge Juechter said at a Previous NCM Bash that the next generation of Corvettes will feature bold designs, and he chose his words carefully. You’ll see it soon enough, and you will like like the way it looks.
Quinten_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:21 PM   #401
Quinten_33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Well I think it's more so a worry that Corvette will price it higher not because they have to..but because they want to. If all in the cost to produce a mid-engine C8 is say..$40,000 or so...that they would then charge $80,000 just because it was now a much more advanced and 'exclusive car'...

Aka the road Cadillac took.
That will never be the case with Corvette. In the 66 years the Corvette has existed, they have always aimed at the same demographics. Some demographics have been added to the range of Corvette buyers over the years, but none have ever been excluded. GM would lose lost of customers by pricing the car for such extreme profits, and they’d abandon their own business model. The Corvette is also produced in greater numbers than all Cadillacs combined, and that type of volume yields lower MSRP’s. Expect the mid-engine Corvette to cost a lot more to produce if the base MSRP is $80,000.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #402
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinten_33 View Post
These renderings are very accurate, but they will look plain in comparison to the press release photos of the real deal. And we all know that press releases never give the full effect of a car’s design, so you’ll be surprised. Tadge Juechter said at a Previous NCM Bash that the next generation of Corvettes will feature bold designs, and he chose his words carefully. You’ll see it soon enough, and you will like like the way it looks.
I hope you're right. I havd been biting my tongue so to speak for a long time about the Vette going this direction waiting for more facts. I hope all of my assumptions are completely false. The Vette should always be universally known and never mistaken for anyother Car. Its one of the most iconic cars on earth and deserves its heritage to be designed into ever generation. I would rather see it disappear than to be turned into something foreign.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:59 PM   #403
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
I don't entender You Guys... You see foreingh style in this render.... I just see 2000-2010 American Sport Supercar. To be more especific: Saleen S5S Raptor and Saleen S7
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:09 PM   #404
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
The problem with the Corvette is it seems 90% of them are driven 10 under the speed limit by old men. I know with ours people gave me a second look being under 50. It’s a shame. True enthusiasts will still want one, but too often I see men in their 60’s and 70’s in one. Maybe it’s a northeast & Florida phenomenon, the two areas I have the most time in. I don’t recall many Corvettes when living in Texas in the 90’s.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:06 PM   #405
Quinten_33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
The problem with the Corvette is it seems 90% of them are driven 10 under the speed limit by old men. I know with ours people gave me a second look being under 50. It’s a shame. True enthusiasts will still want one, but too often I see men in their 60’s and 70’s in one. Maybe it’s a northeast & Florida phenomenon, the two areas I have the most time in. I don’t recall many Corvettes when living in Texas in the 90’s.
I live in Northeast Florida and 95% of Corvette owners I have ever seen down here have gray hair. There’s the occasional successful millennial rocking the $100,000 Z07 convertible, or the Camaro owners trading up to Stingray 1LTs. It’s mostly because the Corvette is the American’s dream car, but it costs far more than the average working parent can afford. By the time most people can afford to buy a new Corvette, they’re already in their 60’s. Those who buy their first Corvette in their 30’s will likely buy Corvettes for the rest of their life, which is a common story among members of Corvette clubs and forums. The funny thing is, the average age of Ferrari and Lamborghini owners isn’t far off from the average age of Corvette owners. Older folk tend to have more money to spend, and that shows in consumer demographics.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:57 PM   #406
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonnyGTR View Post
I don't entender You Guys... You see foreingh style in this render.... I just see 2000-2010 American Sport Supercar. To be more especific: Saleen S5S Raptor and Saleen S7

JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote