Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-16-2018, 03:02 AM   #1
Ockid

Drives: 2016 4 cylinder 2.0t
Boost Gauge

Hey guys. So I am getting the ZZP Turbo and I wanted to know what is a good boost gauge for our cars? I also want it to tell fuel ratio so when I get e85 it will read it. Really new to this, so if I said something incorrect please correct me.
Ockid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:09 AM   #2
Thandel
ATS 2.0T

Drives: 2013 Cadillac ATS
I have been researching some gauges for a custom pod I’m going to make. From what I have gathered. Do not buy glow light gauges I haven’t found any good reviews on them.
Aem, autometer get good ratings innovative has mixed reviews. http://www.wide-band.com/category-s/100.htm. These are fairly inexpensive and have decent reviews a lot of YouTube comparisons etc.

One thing I have noticed is all these a/f ratio gauges recommended the o2 sensor be mounted 24 inches from the turbo output side. I find this odd as that would be after the cat. But most of the down pipes have the extra bung mounted right next to the front o2. I’m still researching this and I’m sure there are people who could chime in with a reasoning for the mounting location. I assume it’s bc these sensors are really sensitive and foul up easily.

Once I find out the best mounting location I’m going to either buy a 200 or 400 cell direct fit or if it should be 24 inches I will have a custom downpipe made with the correct bung locations.
Hope I gave you some useful info and really hope someone with more knowledge on this subject chimes in.
Thandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:56 AM   #3
acidronin

Drives: 2017 camaro 2.0t
I use an app called obd2aa to display up to 6 gauges on the infotainment screen. Its pulls data from the ecu for the gauges. It will cost you about 15$ total. PM me if you want pics or a video of it working.
acidronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:23 PM   #4
Thandel
ATS 2.0T

I have non cue
Old 06-16-2018, 11:55 PM   #5
StPeteHyper2.0

Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 2.0
I use Prosport JDM gauges. Had them almost a year so far and no issues at all. I liked the needle and digital combo.
Attached Images

StPeteHyper2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:00 PM   #6
Thandel
ATS 2.0T

That looks really good.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:52 AM   #7
acidronin

Here is a picture of my setup. I wanted to keep it stealthy for warranty purposes.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2018, 09:20 AM   #8
6th_gen_gino

Drives: 2016 camaro 2.0t gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidronin View Post
Here is a picture of my setup. I wanted to keep it stealthy for warranty purposes.
That looks great, how do you do it?
6th_gen_gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:32 AM   #9
acidronin

You need a cheap rooted android phone, torque app, wireless obd2 adapter, and obd2aa app. Total cost should be under 60$

Last edited by acidronin; 06-18-2018 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Forgot the adapter
Old 06-18-2018, 11:11 AM   #10
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
http://www.tampabaycamaros.com/real-...-android-auto/
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:24 PM   #11
VinceK

Drives: 2019 6.2L V8 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockid View Post
Hey guys. So I am getting the ZZP Turbo and I wanted to know what is a good boost gauge for our cars? I also want it to tell fuel ratio so when I get e85 it will read it. Really new to this, so if I said something incorrect please correct me.

May have difficulty getting a ZFR... a few of us have been waiting patiently (or impatiently ) for a while. I'll be waiting alongside ya though, bud.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:31 AM   #12
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockid View Post

My advice to you is to buy HP Tuners. Gauges are pointless. You need actual data logging capabilities when swapping turbos. Truthfully, you need actual tuning capabilities as well if you want a strong running car.

By the time you see bad AFR or knock on a gauge, it's too late, you're buying a new engine.

HPT monitors significantly more than a couple gauges ever could. With an upgraded turbo you need to know intake temps, fuel pressures, boost pressure, afr, maf/map. It is not a bolt on and upload a canned tune type of affair by any stretch of the imagination. Obviously ZZP has a tune they sell for this turbo, but that is going to be very basic and require several revisions before you can get consistent maximum performance. Even though our cars are all supposed to be identical, there is enough % of allowed variation from the factory in every single component. Those variations add up. What works well for me, may be entirely different for you.

One other thing I noticed was that you said you wanted an AFR gauge for running E85. You already have a wideband 02 from the factory. What you need is a functioning flex fuel sensor, otherwise your ECU will not know the ethanol %, which is necessary. Pump E85 can vary the amount of ethanol by 20% easily. Without the flex fuel sensor, you'd never know if you got a batch of 55% ethanol fuel.
to invalidate anyone's personal views or thoughts, nor is it a condemnation of anyone's
race, religion, sex, sexual preferences, handicaps, or intellectual abilities.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:24 AM   #13
Thandel
ATS 2.0T

Needs tune and gauges.. gauges are def not pointless. A/f gauge is a good one to have fuel pressure, oil temp, oil pressure, coolant temp, egt, fuel pressure. Yes the tune is needed for sure, but gauges can prevent a major failure if you catch something on a gauge drop in fuel pressure a/f goes out of whack you shut down before you blow up. I would love to see one full blown race car without significantly more gauges than you’d find on a factory vehicle.

All I’m saying is you need both.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:12 PM   #14
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
P3 gauge?
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote