Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 11-12-2023, 09:13 PM   #15
18Black2SSinAZ

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Long shot...

Call your brother and discuss with him not only what he did but what he may have notated in the file for the car. Since it would have been under the bumper-to-bumper at the time, and it should have been noted that they took proactive action, a failure "now" might be able to be pushed back into the lap of GM to make them cover the repair.
I had actually forgotten that my brother did that fluid change. When I went to the dealership a couple weeks ago, I thought they would be doing the fluid change but they told me when I picked the car up that it had been done once already and so they would not be doing it again. When they told me where it was done, I knew that was the dealership my brother works at and then remembered him telling me about it. Thanks to some unfortunate family drama, I no longer speak to him and wouldn’t trust him either.
18Black2SSinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 06:45 AM   #16
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Black2SSinAZ View Post
I had actually forgotten that my brother did that fluid change. When I went to the dealership a couple weeks ago, I thought they would be doing the fluid change but they told me when I picked the car up that it had been done once already and so they would not be doing it again. When they told me where it was done, I knew that was the dealership my brother works at and then remembered him telling me about it. Thanks to some unfortunate family drama, I no longer speak to him and wouldn’t trust him either.
So, the new dealership knows about the service work having been done. On a car with an applicable TSB. That had work done according to a TSB. That has now had more of a "failure."

You see where I'm going with this? Call GM Customer Service and open a case.

Sorry about the family drama stuff - I can relate.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 09:27 AM   #17
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Long shot...
I would get quotes from independent shops.
I also think ember's idea is valid. With quotes in hand maybe you can get GM to give you a 50% discount on the labor given your history with the problem. then you can pick the shop where you want the work done.
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 07:15 PM   #18
DarkMaroSS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
So, the new dealership knows about the service work having been done. On a car with an applicable TSB. That had work done according to a TSB. That has now had more of a "failure."

You see where I'm going with this? Call GM Customer Service and open a case.

Sorry about the family drama stuff - I can relate.
I’m curious about this. Where are you getting at with calling customer service if the car is already out of warranty?

I ask as I am now in a similar situation. I had the triple flush at 10k miles (last one i had to tell the dealer to change the filter because according to them, the TSB didnt say to change it; so take a shower and put dirty underwear and hope you dont smell).

Now after a long time and at 31k miles it came back again with hard shifting. Only because of time it is out of warranty and the cost of replacing the TC is something i’m dreading in my current situation.

Also, on another subject, if I decide to replace the TC with a CircleD TC with stock stall (part number 24-07-05-1A) do I also need to replace the flex plate or no?

Thanks for any advice on both questions
2018 Camaro 1SS | BBK 92mm TB | GPI Ported LT1 Manifold | ColdAirInductions CAI | Granatelli Wires and MSD coils | Mishimoto Catch Can | GMP Black Strut Tower Brace | NPP Exhaust and 2nd Cat Delete | Recaro Seats | GM Stainless Sport Pedal Kit | GM Carbon Fiber Shift Knob | Deck Lid Spoiler with Wicker Bill | Smoked Sequential Taillights | Smoked Third-Brake Light | 1LE Front Splitter/Satin Black | ZL1Addons Splash Guards

2015 Camaro SS/RS (Sold)
DarkMaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 07:33 PM   #19
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
In my opinion, if you have to change a torque converter is because it was abused or neglected, and it’s very hard to abuse it. Number one rule do not flush!!! always dump and change. Friction clutches, valves do not like a flush after complacency with amount of break in or abuse! It’s kind of like the rest of us set in our ways
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 07:54 PM   #20
speedyink1

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Black2SSinAZ View Post
I was told the rotors likely warped from sitting
...Am I the only one who thinks this sounds like total BS?

I get caliper slides and rotors corroding, and other issues that can happen from sitting.. But I've never heard of rotors warping from sitting. Is this a thing?
speedyink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 08:03 PM   #21
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
+1 on the recommendation for an independent shop. Ask around at a local drag strip and see where they take their broken transmissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyink1 View Post
...Am I the only one who thinks this sounds like total BS?

I get caliper slides and rotors corroding, and other issues that can happen from sitting.. But I've never heard of rotors warping from sitting. Is this a thing?
No. While some aluminum alloys can "cold anneal" on the shelf at room temperature, we're talking about iron/steel rotors here and they don't do that. As a garage queen owner with perfect brakes after ~7 years from manufacture and 9k miles, I can confirm that claim is 100%

18Black2SSinAZ, what's more likely is uneven pad transfer while stored -- happens frequently with the stock Brembo pads if brakes were "put up wet." In extreme cases (put away wet AND hot) they can bond together to the point where the car will be hard to move and you'll hear a bang when they break free loud enough to sh!t your pants thinking you just broke the car.

Uneven pad transfer to the rotor can cause stick-slip vibration when in motion. So put a dial gauge on them to verify the runout. If pad transfer is confirmed, then sand all contact surfaces (pads and rotors) with 400 grit and spray-n-wipe well with brake cleaner. Then re-bed the brakes per the performance manual.

Last edited by Gunkk; 03-18-2024 at 08:14 PM.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 11:52 AM   #22
DarkMaroSS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
In my opinion, if you have to change a torque converter is because it was abused or neglected, and it’s very hard to abuse it. Number one rule do not flush!!! always dump and change. Friction clutches, valves do not like a flush after complacency with amount of break in or abuse! It’s kind of like the rest of us set in our ways
In a way I agree with you… I’ve been working fully remotely since 2020 and even though I like doing some spirited driving, I barely get to drive it. I got a car seat and a booster on the back seat and only get to drive it to take my boys to school/daycare and some times in the weekends (if anything). The care never seen the drag strip, so yeah it is ridiculous.
2018 Camaro 1SS | BBK 92mm TB | GPI Ported LT1 Manifold | ColdAirInductions CAI | Granatelli Wires and MSD coils | Mishimoto Catch Can | GMP Black Strut Tower Brace | NPP Exhaust and 2nd Cat Delete | Recaro Seats | GM Stainless Sport Pedal Kit | GM Carbon Fiber Shift Knob | Deck Lid Spoiler with Wicker Bill | Smoked Sequential Taillights | Smoked Third-Brake Light | 1LE Front Splitter/Satin Black | ZL1Addons Splash Guards

2015 Camaro SS/RS (Sold)
DarkMaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote